Recommendations for deployment clasps?

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Zetaplus93
Senior
Senior

Recommendations for deployment clasps?

Post by Zetaplus93 »

Having just gotten my first dress watch (C5 Malvern) and dressy diver (C61), I've really grown to like the deployment clasps on these :thumbup: So, I'm looking to put a deployment clasps on another non-CW dressy watch.

Any recommendations for brands for deployment clasps, in particular for purchase in the US?

I've come across Hadley-Roma clasps (Amazon.com) and also non-branded clasps (link below). But not sure how these clasps compare to those found on the C5 or C61.

http://stores.ebay.com/Quality-Watch-Le ... 34.c0.m322)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: Recommendations for deployment clasps?

Post by ianblyth »

I have used eBay Seller GoodCheapMan for the clasps and mesh bracelets. Have to say that I thought the clasps were just as good as the ones from CWL.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/GoodCheapMan-W ... 34.c0.m322

I also picked up a Hadley Roma clasp on another forum. Could not see why it was so expensive. Glad I bought it second hand and discounted.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Brettg

Re: Recommendations for deployment clasps?

Post by Brettg »

I have two cheap clasps bought on e-bay and two Hadley-roma's. The HR's are slightly beefier and have two screws holding the mechanism together. The cheap clasps are pressed together. If they break, one would have to throw them away. Theoretically, the HR's could be repaired as the mechanism contains a spring and two opposing sets of "jaws". I've had no trouble with the cheap clasps, but I lost a screw on one of the HR's, which a local jeweler was able to match and therefore replace. Other than that, no problems. One difference is that the HR's can handle thicker straps. I even had one on a Hirsch Liberty, which is 4-5mm thick. The e-bay clasps cost $9.99 each and the HR's cost $30-$35 each. All the clasps have been in action for more than 18 months, so based on cost and performance, I have to say that the cheaper clasps have been much better value than the HR's. As it happens, I'm waiting for my first CW, a C61 which may go onto a hornback aligator strap. The spec says the strap is 5mm thick, so I'm anticipating needing an HR clasp to accommodate it.