The Rolex Daytona

A place to discuss other watch-brands
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

The Rolex Daytona

Post by watchstudent »

My horological education moves onto this watch. What do you guys and gals know about it?

I have so far been quite uninterested in this watch, as I preferred designs of other Rolexes. However it keeps popping up in my reading and it seems to be so sought after! On iconicwatches.co.uk they have a stainless steel one (116520) for £300 above RRP when most of their steel Rollies get just under a 10% discount from RRP. Why are they so coveted? Do Rolex limit their numbers?

What I know so far is that Rolex chronographs have not always been called Daytona's and pre-daytona watches are some of the most sought after watches in the world, fetching crazy prices. Another famous model is the Paul Newman which has black and white dial I believe, again incredibly rare and collectable. Up until around 2000 i think Daytona's had a Zenith El Primero movement in them. Then Rolex developed the 4130 movement which is still what they use now (this by the way is one of my favourite things about Rolex is that they seem to have the confidence to use the movements they create for many years, some may call it lack of innovation, I think it is confidence... I think it is a much better way of doing things for the consumer than what Omega are doing by changing new movements every year or so, hopefully that will calm down now with the "Master Co-axial"), this movement (according to Rolex.com) uses less components than most chronograph movements which make it more reliable.

The black dial designs are growing on me and the Paul Newmans I do think are wonderful to look at. I don't think I would ever aspire to own one when a Speedy is so iconic and can be had for a quarter of the price. As with most Rolex watches though I find it interesting and would like to hear what you know about the watch!

Also why do they called it a Cosmograph? It seems rather pretentious... I think I also love that it is called a Cosmograph :shock:
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: The Rolex Daytona

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

watchstudent wrote: Also why do they called it a Cosmograph? It seems rather pretentious... I think I also love that it is called a Cosmograph :shock:
I know nothing about the watch, though I believe the original name dates from the early '60s. That would explain the name...so much in those days was space-related, for obvious reasons!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Like most Rolex like old ones don't like the new ones. Mostly for hip hop stars.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by watchstudent »

Dancematt wrote:Like most Rolex like old ones don't like the new ones. Mostly for hip hop stars.
I do agree, in part. There are still some lovely more discrete Rolexes in the line up. Explorer probably best example. Old daytonas are a perfect example of vintage is better though, new ones are so polished. Same reason I don't like many breitlings
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
JamesH
Guru
Guru

Post by JamesH »

Steve Mcqueen was famous for wearing one wasn't he? However the modern version looks nothing like the classic version, different watch with the same name.

Only two I like out of the current collection is the Explorer I and the Datejust II.The Milgauss is OK too. The rest I'm not keen on.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I thought Paul Newman was the Daytona man, but I might be mistaken.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
vikingdrvr
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by vikingdrvr »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:I thought Paul Newman was the Daytona man, but I might be mistaken.
I'm sure you're right AVO...Newman was well known for sporting a Daytona. When I think of McQueen and watches, it's got to be a Monaco.
vikingdrvr

InComing: nada
InTheBox: C60 GMT, C7, C7IRR, C70 D-Type, C8, C11. Steinies: Nav B/OVM/OceanTi500/Racetimer X2/Chrono II. Others: SMP300M Chrono, SMdV, Alpina X2, Tissot Chrono, LLD, Heuer 2000 Auto, Breil...
Emily DT, Charlotte Deco, Coral (wife’s)
Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard B »

Newman=Daytona
McQueen=Explorer

Step outside the Rolex arena and other watches come into play, as mentioned.
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.
JamesH
Guru
Guru

Post by JamesH »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:I thought Paul Newman was the Daytona man, but I might be mistaken.
Paul Newman was who I actually had in my mind just got the names mixed up :lol: I think Mcqueen was Submariner.