Cartier watches

A place to discuss other watch-brands
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Cartier watches

Post by watchstudent »

These are something I don't think I have seen anything of at all on this forum. What are your guys opinions? When I first got into watches I thought they were pretty fugly but now I think they are pretty cool and unusual.

Most of them are quartz by the looks of it but I reckon if one had a nice balanced collection a Cartier could make a great addition for a classy evening watch. Would love to see one in the flesh. Anyone got experience?
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Cartier watches

Post by Kip »

I don't have any Cartier, but I do like certain variants of the Ballon Bleu and Rotonde de Cartier lines. Unfortunately, far above what I wish to spend.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
ltchippy
Junior
Junior

Post by ltchippy »

I've got the Ronde Solo which is my daily work wearer and it's exactly what I was after. Perfect with a suit, dead on accurate (a super quartz eta derivative I think) and super slim, around 5mm I think. It's not the most interesting from an horological point of view, but then it doesn't need to be.

When I was first getting into watches I viewed Cartier as a glorified fashion brand, but now know they actually have a very good history I.e. First ever wrist watch (I think), and are now making some very special in-house movements and really upping their game. I'm not that keen on many of their designs, but I think they can have a very valid place in any collection.
Breitling Navitimer
Nomos Tangente Grandreserve Datum
Cartier Ronde Solo
CW C60 Trident
Rado Xeramo
1960s Majex, manual wind
1940s Roamer, manual wind
Jean Pierre skeleton full hunter
Drmarkf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Drmarkf »

ltchippy wrote:?..Perfect with a suit, dead on accurate (a super quartz eta derivative I think) and super slim, around 5mm I think. It's not the most interesting from an horological point of view, but then it doesn't need to be.

When I was first getting into watches I viewed Cartier as a glorified fashion brand, but now know they actually have a very good history I.e. First ever wrist watch (I think), and are now making some very special in-house movements and really upping their game. I'm not that keen on many of their designs, but I think they can have a very valid place in any collection.
^^^ +1

Yes, like many of the classic brands these days they produce now a few really classy designs that I most certainly would buy and wear (e.g. Tank Francaise auto in steel or TT, a perfect dress watch for man or woman). For sure there is a lot of dodgy design out there as well - and I do sometimes have a problem with their blue-decorated oversized crown on some designs, which looks like a wart.

They seem to have a bit of a fashion reputation among watch enthusiasts, but it's very undeserved IMHO. I suspect they might do their image some good if they produced a range of divers or other tool watches.

My boss used to wear a TT TF, but she recently graduated to a yellow gold lady Datejust so her husband's company must be doing well.
Regards,
Mark

Rolex [4] : Omega [2] : Heuer [3] : Sinn : Nomos : Zeno : Steinhart : Citizen : Traser : Casio : Smiths/PRS
Lego
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lego »

Another iconic brand with an interesting history. Much maligned, IMO, by those 'in the know'

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
gweilgi
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by gweilgi »

I always did like the Santos 100:

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Cartier/Sa ... item/22111

In plain steel, it is chunky enough to give it a sporty(-is) look, but the design is so classic it's suitable as a dress watch as well. It also comes in two sizes, which is good.
proud C60 owner (grey)
watchstudent
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchstudent »

Have now decided they are very cool BUT their prices would be competing with JLC and I think there is probably only one winner there...
Victorinox Inox, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Seiko PADI Turtle