Wristtop replacement

A place to discuss other watch-brands
watchthis

Wristtop replacement

Post by watchthis »

I am hunting for a cheap digital watch that is cheap enough to wear.

I need a clear readout, light, at least one alarm (for buses etc) and it must be durable and splashproof with a metal body and strap. I find plastic/leather straps sweaty while metal ones warm up to my body temperature and I don't notice them after while. Preferably steel-coloured.

My current watch is more a wristtop computer than timepiece, it inspires me writing IT applications, and because of this and its increasing fragility, it is becoming too expensive/irreplaceable to wear. Here's a photo:

Large version of photo

Argos with it's massive range is no good, and there's next to no choice in jewellers windows so far as digital readouts go (perhaps that's just tinytown though).

I have a bit more money than I thought I would now (famous last words), but I'd still like it to be as cheap as possible - no frills. Any suggestions?
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Re: Wristtop replacement

Post by El Tiempo »

I had fun looking around this place. Truly amazing how many innovative products Seiko has put out over the years.

Looks like they have a forum and even sell vintage watches. Might want to try over there.
ctafield

Post by ctafield »

It's a shame that the Microsoft SPOT technology never took off, or was even launched, in the UK. I have no idea how it faired in America, but I suspect it didn't do too well.

Fossil made a SPOT watch, and I am sure they made a Palm watch as well... both probably worth checking!
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

How about a G-Shock?

IMHO, these are some of the best made digital watches and they come loaded with 'features'.

For example, this one is radio-controlled world-wide, so it will always tell you the correct time and adjust for British Summer Time. It also has 5 alarms (for 5 different buses), a stop watch (for Pizza or boiled eggs), world time display and 200M Water resistance. It also has a stainless steel strap.

Richard
DannyO
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by DannyO »

Not sure where you are located but Morrisons in Stoke has a small jewellers inside with a silly sale on Casio digitals. I just got a lightwight steel Casio digital for £14 brand new, boxed with a 10 year battery!!!
C3SWT, C4CF18, C40IPK, C5AKS, C7STS, C8IPK
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by alphajet »

How about one of these a Jughans Mega 1000, it has chrono, timer and alarm fuctions and is radio controlled and comes on a nice steel bracelet. Only drawback the german quality will cost around £260.

No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
watchthis

Post by watchthis »

Thank you, thank you! - So many suggestions, and so quickly too.
The nerd forum is interesting, although I consider my wristtop ahead of it's time rather than behind.

I don't have home internet access, so I expect I shall be browsing the results of this for a week or so to come.

Stoke is about 100 miles North of me, therefore too far to be economical. I once cycled between Wrexham and Crewe to save of train fares, while buying a secondhand laptop, so I'm not averse to travelling if it saves me money.