How do you view CW compared to others in your collection...

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Monaco73
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

How do you view CW compared to others in your collection...

Post by Monaco73 »

Hi All,

This is purely a quizzical post to answer my intrigue about this brand.

I have a few CW watches and view/ favour some cheaper models in a more positive light than some premium brands that I own.

Perhaps I'm mad or merely justifying the World Timer that I simply must own, but I'm genuinely interested to hear how others view pieces in their collection.

This isn't meant to start a heated debate or argument, merely I'm interested in how you feel wearing a CW over a more (perceived) premium brand.

Cheers,
Barry
Berkshire

Re: How do you view CW compared to others in your collection

Post by Berkshire »

My watches come with a personal narrative therefore there is equality and joy in what they bring to me. The only watch that has attracted any comment from Joe Public has been the Monaco perhaps because of it iconic image. As for my other watches nobody has said anything except for some interest shown in the C900 SP from collectors and watchmakers.

Richard
highway62

Post by highway62 »

I have no CWL's in my lot at the moment, which probably both means I am not qualified to respond & serves as my response.
Lego
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Lego »

My C60 is a beaut and has not let me down or disappointed in any way.

My C3 is soon going up for sale as is, almost certainly, my C8.

I am contemplating a C9 but the Seiko Cocktail Time is calling me...

Overall, I've not had the issues many others have had with their pieces so, for me, I'm fairly happy with CWL but I wouldn't go overboard about them.
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Robin CB »

An interesting question ....

I think my answer reflects my watch-buying journey, more than CWs quality though.

When I bought my first CW it was a significant investment in an affordable high quality watch which outshone anything else I owned (admittedly not hard then). That was the start of my journey.

After a few years, I am back down to one CW now, and that has become a beater (albeit one which I am very fond of).

CW (and this forum) opened my eyes to a whole variety of modern and vintage watches and my tastes have developed significantly.

I still like the CW that I have though :)
blurbz
Senior
Senior

Post by blurbz »

I'll definitely give my opinion when my C61 arrives. It's my first serious watch and I bought it as a celebration. To do it, however, I had to raid my Omega budget...I know I'm not getting an Omega-quality piece, but I'm hoping that the delay it causes in me getting my Omega is worth it!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

blurbz wrote:I'll definitely give my opinion when my C61 arrives. It's my first serious watch and I bought it as a celebration. To do it, however, I had to raid my Omega budget...I know I'm not getting an Omega-quality piece, but I'm hoping that the delay it causes in me getting my Omega is worth it!
Your impressions are anticipated, as are the comparisons when that Omega finally arrives. :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

in my personal collection, where my two CWLs are the 2nd/3rd most expensive watches (i have a $4k+, two $500ish, and a bunch of $100-300s), they sit exactly where you'd expect. as much as i like my C60, it doesn't compare with my AT. nor should it, considering the price difference, and they're nicer than my lower end (seiko diver, maratac mid pilot, rodina, vintage zodiac, vintage citizen).

not sure i own a watch that should compare evenly. certainly not from a price point comparison.
the "g" is for Greg...
timeisofthessence
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by timeisofthessence »

my jh 1, my most expensive watch, is one of my favorite watchs and while i wear it weekly its also the watch i baby.the most.

my monte carlo cw is hardly worn. i like it but its similar to other watches in my.collection.

my most worn watches are: jh 1, hamilton khaki auto chrono brown dial, seiko cocktail time, hamilton gmt monte carlo LE , bali hai Q.

i enjoy them all. i think cw quality at least matches the rest of my.collection. fit and finish detailing is ptobably best on the seiko its stunningin person.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

I generally feel more comfortable wearing my CWs than my more "upmarket" brands.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Had 4, sold them, regretted selling two of them, and now have a C3 which I really like.

I prefer hand wind to auto, so generally prefer my vintages. I also prefer smaller watches, but I'm coming back around to (slightly) larger ones like 40mm or so.

Nothing else among my wristwatches can hold a candle to my '61 Omega, my Smiths or my Nomos, but the C3 is a great grab 'n' go. Wore it most of last week on a school trip to France, and it was great. Even used the chrono to time kids playing aeroball! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)