Breitling Shadow Flyback vs Omega Aqua Terra 2500

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Berkshire

Re: Breitling Shadow Flyback vs Omega Aqua Terra 2500

Post by Berkshire »

Red wrote:Thanks for the quick responses.....

I think I already know the answer but its a contest between head and heart for me. I wore the Breitling every day for about 8 years and its been brilliant, fantastic time keeper and really rugged. The AT feels more refined but for a 'sports' watch seems to pick up scratches just by being out in the open air.

Which ever way I go, its then a case of what to get currently I'm erring towards Rolex Explorer 1 (39mm), IWC XV or Bremont - any thoughts on that?

Thanks again.

Andy
Choosing a watch should be personal. A few members know how and when I bought each of my watches but more importantly as to why. I would ask you if any of the above watches mean anything to you, if one does then you will cherish it forever.

Richard
highway62

Post by highway62 »

The Smiths "Everest" might warrant a mention here.
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

highway62 wrote:The Smiths "Everest" might warrant a mention here.
Not even in the same league highway. Nice looking homage, but basic Japanese movement and some quality control issues if you do a little google search.

The Rolex I'd quite happily take with me on an expedition up Everest, the Smiths I wouldn't trust to survive a picnic up Primrose Hill :lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Which one I would keep is irrelevant. YOU should keep the Breitling, as that is the one that speaks to you. As for your new watch, nix the IWC. You have the Speedbird 3 (which is an amazing watch for the money, one of my favourites), so fill a different niche with your new purchase. The Explorer is the most similar to the AT, and probably one of the most versatile watches out there, so that is the obvious choice for me. The White Solo is a beautiful watch, and would be a really nice contrast to the black SB3. So, dressy sports watch, or dressy aviator? No wrong answer here, only the answer that is the most right for you.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Only reason for mentioning the Smiths was, that given its pricepoint, it might enable the OP to keep both the Omega & the Breitling :D
Red
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Red »

Funnily enough, I've been pondering an Everest for a little while and noticed that there was one on eBay over the weekend with a good buy it now price which was tempting. But, at the end of the day I could buy one anytime (supply permitting) and I'm not that keen on the movement - no reason, just don't fancy the Miyota. The Bremont in white does look good to my eye although the proportions of the 43mm look better to me than the 37mm that I'd normally go for. So all in all, I'm still undecided but I think the Breitling is a keeper and I'll move the AT on. Once the money is in the bank I'll take a closer look at the Explorer and the Bremont in the flesh.
Thanks for all the comments.
Andy
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Certainly the Miyota 9015 based Benarus I owned for a while was a match for any of my eta based watches in terms of accuracy & smooth operation.
Phil0886
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Phil0886 »

I owned an Everest briefly and found the quality of the case and bracelet to be outstanding for the money which I've also heard said of the Speedbird III. The movement wound smoothly and kept decent time (within +10s/day I think) but the noise of the rotor was louder even than my Chinese PAM homage and combined with the domed acrylic cyrstal which made the dial appear small relative to the case size was the reason I sold it.
CW: C60 FLE Blue #009
Non-CW: Rolex Sub ND, Panerai PAM 312, Grand Seiko SBGM027, Omega AT, Omega PO, Heuer Monza, Maurice Lacroix Pontos S, San Martin 62MAS, HIMQ Marinemaster.
Red
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Red »

I can certainly recommend the SBIII both in terms of the build but also the movement ETA 2824-2 which makes the whole package fantastic value for money IMO. The only problem I have had is a crossed thread in the screw down crown. A new crown and tube was supplied foc by Mr Platts. As above I'm not so taken by the Everest.