C8 Pilot Vintage MKII - Noisy Movement

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
the_big_v

C8 Pilot Vintage MKII - Noisy Movement

Post by the_big_v »

Hello all (this is my first post).

I recently received my third CW watch - a C8 pilot Vintage MKII. And as usual things stared off very well. However, I quickly noticed that the movement is very noisy. Unnaturally so. I thought it might have been the rotor, but the noise is present when the rotor doesn't turn.

I was hoping to see if other C8 owners had noticed this with their own watches, or maybe could comment on how noisy their own watch is (or any other CW watch using the ETA 2824-2).

I'm on the verge of returning the watch, but wanted to get some commentary first.

Thanks
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: C8 Pilot Vintage MKII - Noisy Movement

Post by teestech »

Hi

I've got a C8 Mk2 with ETA 2824-2, and also just received (today actually) a C9 Auto with the same movement.

The rotor in the C8 is marginally more noisy than in the C9, you just hear it as it settles after any shaking of the watch. To be honest though it's pretty minor. I can certainly hear it if I shake the watch a little up towards my ear, but definitely not whilst it's on the wrist. In the same circumstances (near the ear) I can also hear the C9, but a bit more muted, and again once on the wrist there's nothing audible.

Hope this helps in making a decision as to whether it's a fault or just a characteristic of the movement. Don't worry though, even if there is a fault, it'll be rectified quickly and you'll soon be enjoying the great C8 again.
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
the_big_v

Post by the_big_v »

Thanks! That's good info.

I can hear mine when it's on my wrist and from some distance too.

I'm going to return it this weekend. Thanks again.
jsh1120
Junior
Junior

Post by jsh1120 »

Either I'm going deaf (as well as blind) or my C8 is virtually silent. I can hear the rotor move if I shake the watch next to my ear but it's otherwise utterly silent. I'd never even thought to check until I saw your post.
Nite_narc
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Nite_narc »

I think the C60 uses the same movement and I can only hear the movement at arm's length when shaken vigorously!

During normal useage I can't hear a thing though and when I can hear it I find it strangely reassuring.
nite_narc

Proud owner of a C60 Trident & C70 BRVGT.
Hate the new logo