Mako vs C5 - an unfair fight?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Remus
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Mako vs C5 - an unfair fight?

Post by Remus »

Hi all, I am thinking about the next purchase already, despite the C11 Makaira still being fresh on my wrist.

Two watches have caught my eye of late and both for very different reasons. The Orient Mako and the ever faithful C5 quartz.

One major point for consideration....Would you buy quartz when you can have automatic, particularly when the automatic is cheaper and has a gooder reputation as it does...? (that said I am sure the build quality of the C5 supases the Mako).

I wear a suite most days for work or am in an office environment, so the C5 would suit that very well. The Mako however means I get to add another 'decent' dive watch to my C11 and C60 collection.

C5 would be on leather and Mako would be on steel as per my general preference for dive watches (excluding the C11).

Two very differnt watches for two very different use cases.
Remus
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Mako vs C5 - an unfair fight?

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

C5 auto 100%

Welshlad has one for sale in sales corner and its gorgeous. :thumbup: perfect for work in a suit.
Graham
richtea
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by richtea »

Yes two very different watches and i own both now having recently picked up Eggtronics (Josh) Blue Mako on steel

In fairness the Mako is really well made and finished so as auto's go and if you have no issues on where a watch is made then at around the £100 marker i've not seen anything as decent
Also the Mako on steel is as others have mentioned a pretty good bet as a smart sports/dress model
Although the Mako is 41.5 mm case and C5 is 38mm case somehow for me they wear about the same in practice
Possibly due to design and lug to lug size

But on the other side of the coin the plus points on my 2 C ward Quartz i own are the really nice finishing and of course superb acccuracy
Very classy looking and easy to go to watches which are elegant in a quite understated way

Either brand will re-sell at decent prices if you ever move on from them or decide to sell so i guess its literally down to budget and your personal taste on what a dress or smart watch should look like

The Mako will cost less initially and is an intro to automatic movements so perhaps represents more of a traditional value but the C5 is a rather iconic C Ward watch (this is currently being discussed on another post )

Cant go wrong on either so enjoy

Regards
RichT
6 x C Ward
Assorted Swiss and
Japanese Quartz/Autos etc ...

Open the pod doors Hal !! :lol:
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

I have a difficult time with the Mako, primarily because the movement, while automatic, lacks the hacking/winding capability found in my other watches. The difficulty with the quartz C5 is, alas, that it is quartz and has no lume. Mind you, I have nothing against quartz watches; I own several and am very taken with three: Citizen's Blue Angel Skyhawk AT, CWL's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight W7, and Marathon's military Navigator (with it's tritium tube lume). The Mako looks great, has very good reputation, and a very good price point, but as stated above, I'm not happy without the ability to wind and hack any automatic watch. Still, one may find its way into my possession someday; you gotta just love that blue SS!
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
DCB2
Senior
Senior

Post by DCB2 »

I don't know the C5, but I've been wearing a Blue Mako for 7 months and I've been very happy with it. I like the fact that it's an auto, even though I have quartz watches that cost quite a bit more and that have a lot of sentimental value to me. I wear a suit 4 or 5 days a week, and I think that it looks very good with a suit (particularly with French cuffs and silver cuff links). Having said that, however, I may be retiring it soon. The rumor is that I'll be receiving a C60 from my wife and kids for a birthday later in the month!