CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: CWL of the day

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Speedhawk met Bluebird yesterday

I'm up in The Lake District on holiday, visited the Donald Campbell museum and couldn't resist this shot on a replica of the fateful D7 Bluebird. Amazing how technologically basic the construction was.

This painting epitomizes the grace and speed of it all

Guy

Sent from my Xperia S using TapaTalk 4 beta
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Richard
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

downer wrote:Image
:cuinlove:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Konketsu
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Konketsu »

My God-daughters Baptism today so I needed something dressy but it might get wet lol

C60 Trident by J.W.C., on Flickr
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill
downer

Post by downer »

The jury is still out on this one... is it a keeper or a flipper?

Richard
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

You've had a brush with the C9 before Richard and you returned it on grounds of reflectivity of the crystal and legibility if my memory serves me correctly and I fear this example may suffer the same fate! Nice picture of a good quality piece but maybe not for you?

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
downer

Post by downer »

robinbarke wrote:You've had a brush with the C9 before Richard and you returned it on grounds of reflectivity of the crystal and legibility if my memory serves me correctly and I fear this example may suffer the same fate! Nice picture of a good quality piece but maybe not for you?

Robin
Robin, you are correct. I've actually tried four different C9's..

1. C9 GMT Black - returned due to legibility issues
2. C9 Silver - far easier to read, and owned for a couple of years before being sold to fund something else..
3. C9 FLE - the crystal was always a slight bugbear, but in the end I sold it because I didn't wear it..
4. C9 Chrono - the best of the bunch so far. Yes, the crystal is reflective, but on this one, I don't really find it so difficult to read.. Overall, this is a very classy watch and I do enjoy wearing it. We shall see. :)
Richard
lawstudent
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by lawstudent »

Richard, How bad was the legibility on the C9 GMT Black? Was it so bad that you could never read it, or just that you struggled and wanted something more clear?

I have just ordered one, and whilst I have a strong preference for dark faces, I hope this wont come at the cost of being able to actually tell the time.

Could you shed some light on this one for me?

Cheers,
H
New to all of this, but it beats studying.

C9 GMT

2013 FLE #92 reserved
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

downer wrote:Image
You tease :(
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
downer

Post by downer »

lawstudent wrote:Richard, How bad was the legibility on the C9 GMT Black? Was it so bad that you could never read it, or just that you struggled and wanted something more clear?

I have just ordered one, and whilst I have a strong preference for dark faces, I hope this wont come at the cost of being able to actually tell the time.

Could you shed some light on this one for me?

Cheers,
H
First, some context... I am an old man (>50) and I suffer from presbyopia (old person's failing eyesight problem). I need glasses for reading, computer work etc, but otherwise, I do not wear them. For this reason, I insist on being able to read watches without glasses, which in turn, dictates that I buy designs that are unfussy and clean.

The C9GMT is a nice, clean design, but personally, I had some trouble in some lighting conditions to easily see the hands due to reflections on the crystal and the relatively fine hand design contrasting with the silver 24hour markings.

For sure, I could have lived with the watch, but instead, using the excellent CW hassle-free return process, I swapped it for something more to my liking (I think it was a C8 at the time).

When I look at my collection, I find that I simply don't have any watches with fine hands or weak(ish) contrast (other than the C9 chrono). I think it's just me...(and I have a plan to get my eyes fixed). :)
Richard
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

downer wrote:The jury is still out on this one... is it a keeper or a flipper?

It's a nice watch. Are you still aiming for the perfect 12? (Or something similar)
downer

Post by downer »

atnits wrote: It's a nice watch. Are you still aiming for the perfect 12? (Or something similar)
I am... although I've got a bit distracted recently. In fact, the C9 chrono is one of those diversions - along with the Stowa Flieger. They were not on the road-map, but they ended up on the box. So, my perfect 12 is currently 16... :)
Richard
lawstudent
Junior
Junior

Post by lawstudent »

downer wrote: The C9GMT is a nice, clean design, but personally, I had some trouble in some lighting conditions to easily see the hands due to reflections on the crystal and the relatively fine hand design contrasting with the silver 24 hour markings.

For sure, I could have lived with the watch
Thanks Richard,

Good to know that I haven't made a bad decision. I am extremely confident in and thankful for the repairs process that CWL maintains. I hope I dont have the same issue.

There is an age gap (but I certainly dont think >50 is that old) but my eyesight is also not perfect. I shall see how I go.

Cheers,
H

C9 GMT

2013 FLE #92 reserved
downer

Post by downer »

lawstudent wrote: There is an age gap (but I certainly dont think >50 is that old) but my eyesight is also not perfect. I shall see how I go.

Cheers,
H
Having read your intro, I realised you are a youngster, but I agree 50'ish is not old, except in the perspective of a 20 year old. :)

Anyway, my eye doctor has promised me eternal youthful sight and the ability to read all watches from any distance. :)
Richard
lawstudent
Junior
Junior

Post by lawstudent »

Haha, Well it probably helps that both of my parents are mid 50's. I think of my grandparents (all 4 within 2 years of a century) as old. Someone in their 50's strikes me as middle aged :thumbup:

C9 GMT

2013 FLE #92 reserved