Vintage Purchases- things to watch out for?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
davidtsee

Vintage Purchases- things to watch out for?

Post by davidtsee »

I am currently interested in some great looking Vintage Hamilton/Bulova pieces at my local used watch store.. however, they are all advertised, NOS (New, Old-Stock) and therefore cosmetically look great but I'm wondering what people think about servicing them as they must have sat out for such a long time and the gears inside could possibly be rusted, etc. or not oiled/lubed properly?

Does anyone have experience purchasing older watches and things I should be on the lookout for? Or maintenance after purchase?

Thanks!! :yawn:
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: Vintage Purchases- things to watch out for?

Post by PaulWB »

If they have been around for a long time, I would recommenc getting the watch serviced.

NOS is a good way of getting access to good quality watches.

I can recommend Retro Watches if NOS is what you are interested in.

http://www.retro-watches.co.uk/
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^+1 to the above.

If you're buying non NOS, buy the seller if you can. E.g. as we found out at the weekend, someone saying a 1950s Smiths needs a battery isn't a WIS. If you can visit a local watchmaker who does servicing/repairs you are probably going to get a better deal (i.e. cheaper) than certain stores in the Mayfair district and some online dealers, who may have excellent products but also charge premium prices. The same applies to buying from members of this or other forums.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
neillp
Junior
Junior

Post by neillp »

All good advice.

If it is a watch dealer ask them to open the back up for you, it will give you an indication of any corrosion etc. They should also be able to confirm if it is keeping time accurately.

Also check to see if part are still available for the movement, some of the 70s electic watches you may have difficulty sourcing parts.

P>S assume all vintage watches are no longer waterproof!
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Assume a vintage watch will need a service and factor it into the price (unless the seller can prove otherwise that it has had a recent service).

Be suspicious about every vintage watch you buy ie if you are looking at Bulovas then read up on them and find out what the telltale signs of fakes/aftermarket parts/refinishes etc are.

Don't buy anything from India or the Phillipines. Absolute minefield. So many refinished/bodged together/faked/cobbled together stuff from both places that even people who have a reasonable idea what they are looking for can be caught out.

Don't get hung up on dinks/scuffs,scratches etc. A vintage watch doesn't have to be NOS and,to be honest,a little wear and tear can add to the look of a vintage watch.

Leading on from the last point,be very suspicious of all these claims of a watch being NOS. There appear to be thousands of the blighters all left carefull in some old wacthmakers cupboard and then just discovered. Assume it's all a load of bollox unless it can be shown otherwise. NOS can just mean the seller has given the watch a good polish & clean,or that they are being somewhat hyperbolic with the description...much like everyone uses the word 'mint' to describe condition on Ebay!

If you can get a look at the movement then that can tell you lots...for instance,if there has been some water ingress at some point in its life the dial may have been touched up or replaced due to water damage.This won't be obvious from the front but take a look at the movement and you might be looking at signs of that water ingress there ie rust or just badly cleaned so that you can still see marks.

Apart from the service mentioned in my first point they shouldn't need any more attention (neccessarily) than a modern watch. They are tougher than people think. For instance,i have in the past bought watches from the 20's,30's & 40's which have not had a service in at least 50 years. Given them a wind and off they've gone and not kept bad time. I'm not saying you need never service them but be realistic.

Finally,the old adage is true here. Sometimes you find a bargain obviously,but basically if it looks too good to be true it generally is.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....