Automatic movement

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Joey
Junior
Junior

Automatic movement

Post by Joey »

When not wearing a watch with an automatic movement for a considerable time, is it best to just let the movement wind down and stop or pull out the crown to stop the movement. I notice that a lot of pictures posted have the crown pulled out and wondered if that was preferable and if so why. I'm sure most people here know the answer or have a preference.
C.W C20 Lido / C60 trident orange bezel. Tudor Pelagos. Tag Heuer Formula1 Chrono. G shock M.I.R orange
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Automatic movement

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Joey wrote:When not wearing a watch with an automatic movement for a considerable time, is it best to just let the movement wind down and stop or pull out the crown to stop the movement. I notice that a lot of pictures posted have the crown pulled out and wondered if that was preferable and if so why. I'm sure most people here know the answer or have a preference.
Good question Joey - it's not something I had considered but would like to know the answer too
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I would not recommend storing watches with the crown out.

I think they are often shown in pictures because people use extended exposure times and want the seconds hand to be static.
Richard
Pegleg2001
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Pegleg2001 »

Maybe the mainspring being stalled in its wound state alters its performance characteristics too? The engineer in me says it is probably better to let it deplete its stored energy.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Pegleg2001 wrote:Maybe the mainspring being stalled in its wound state alters its performance characteristics too? The engineer in me says it is probably better to let it deplete its stored energy.
I'd agree with that; but then I'm no expert.

I'm sure an expert will be along shortly ................

PS> oops sorry; just seen that Downer had given his advice.
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

Pegleg2001 wrote:Maybe the mainspring being stalled in its wound state alters its performance characteristics too? The engineer in me says it is probably better to let it deplete its stored energy.
I would also assume it better to let the mainspring rest under minimal tension rather than hold it for a long period in one stressed position, also having the crown out may allow the ingress of dust...
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Not a recommended procedure.

What downer said is correct about photos.

Allowing dust and moisture in are the prime concerns.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Joey
Junior
Junior

Post by Joey »

Thanks for all your answers. All makes sense. I knew it was best if I didn't think about things too much. :thumbup:
C.W C20 Lido / C60 trident orange bezel. Tudor Pelagos. Tag Heuer Formula1 Chrono. G shock M.I.R orange