CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Watching Paint Dry..........

Post by rcherryuk »

Is more fun than watching my iPad restore :D

Still, shouldn't complain, I've had an iPad 2 for almost two years (22 months, 2 months Applecare left) and the battery was showing some wear.
So I booked a Genius Bar slot at the nearest Apple Store (Westfield Stratford), booked a 1/2day off work and off I went.
After some nifty wireless App diagnostics they agreed my iPad was 'borderline' and would give me a refurbished one, but I'd have to come back on Friday :-(

Friday came, so I slipped out of work early and rocked up to the Apple Store to be given my refurbished iPad 2, which didn't work !, Nor did the next 2!!

Now this was Me, my Wife and 200 potential buyers, so what did I do? Yep, I went for it, and the MAnager offered me a brand new iPad Retina if I went away :clap: Only problem is it had to come from the repair centre, fast forward to today and I called in, and was swapped and pushed out the door in 2 minutes flat :D

So, back home and watching that little ribbon move slowly across the screen.

At this rate it'll be restored by midnight.
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
Mortis
Forum Menace
Forum Menace
CW-watches: 12

Re: Watching Paint Dry..........

Post by Mortis »

I thought all those Apple products just "worked". And the extraordinary expense was for quality, convenience and durability? Sounds like you got none of those. Three visits to a shop to get something that should be covered by warranty and replaced directly rather than from some roundabout refurb (and you bought their extra warranty as well!). Worn out after less than two years? Sounds like a scam.

Now, tell us all how your experience was amazing and you enjoyed being done over - so much so you might just give them some more of your money in the near future. One born every minute.

Enter some Apple fanbois and we will have a very enjoyable thread. Easy.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i'm not fanboi. i know apple hardware doesn't "just work" (and yeah, i tease some of the fanbois about that all the time when something breaks).

but really, **** happens. even the best manufacturers have things go bad. the thing that makes apple look *good* in his example above is that, after trying to fix it and give him a refurbished replacement (which a *lot* of companies do, if you get warranty replacement for electronics), they gave him a brand new, newer version.

i'm sure it was annoying to go through, and i'm glad i didn't have to do it. but they *did* resolve the problem and what he walked out with was much better than what he walked in with. how many companies can you say would resolve a problem that way? there are others who will (clarkes shoes, for one, and they've made me a long-term customer because of it), but it's not a common thing.
the "g" is for Greg...
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by rcherryuk »

All the above is true!

The good news is, after 3 hours everything was restored and I can now use everything as before!
Has the battery life improved? We'll see, but now I've got a new friend, Siri :-)

So now I have a virtual companion in my IPad too, I just need to switch to Oz mode to get a nice lady instead of a sad attempt at Jeeves :-)
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 108

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

Mortis wrote:I thought all those Apple products just "worked". And the extraordinary expense was for quality, convenience and durability? Sounds like you got none of those. Three visits to a shop to get something that should be covered by warranty and replaced directly rather than from some roundabout refurb (and you bought their extra warranty as well!). Worn out after less than two years? Sounds like a scam.

Now, tell us all how your experience was amazing and you enjoyed being done over - so much so you might just give them some more of your money in the near future. One born every minute.

Enter some Apple fanbois and we will have a very enjoyable thread. Easy.
:D
@ Rob, glad you have a new friend. :thumbup:
NMS75
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by NMS75 »

I used to be a big fan of Apple products, had an iPhone, iPad etc. However, more recently I have moved over to Android based products and feel much happier with them. Apart from being generally cheaper they are more functional. All that said I still think the iPod is a great product and better than other portable music players of similar type.

Mark
Watches: Christopher Ward C7 Rapide MKII | Christopher Ward C70 Grand Epreuve | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN | Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 2201.50 | Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Blue Red
DSHall
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 22
LE-fourb: yes

Post by DSHall »

All of my music is iTunes based so I'm (happily) tied into to Apple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD