New Year, New Watch

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

New Year, New Watch

Post by Lavaine »

Thanks to a faster than expected Canada Post, I received a new to me watch yesterday, just in time for the new year.

After purchasing my Speedmaster this summer, I had to slow down on the watch buying. Since then I have been buying straps to satisfy my urges. This fall though, I started looking for a new pilot watch. I had narrowed my choices to three watches: The Maratac Mid Pilot (probably the best value in the world for a pilots watch, if you can get one), Speedbird III, and CW C5A MkII black dial.

The CW was my third choice, not because I don't like it as much, but rather because I wanted to broaden my collection, and currently own a cream C5A Mk1. So the Maratac and Speedbird were the top choices. The Maratac is only $200 new, but they sell out immediately when available from Maratac, and the company will not ship outside the US. Used it is then. This fall I missed out on 2 of these offered for sale. One in my own city, that I could have picked up F2F. The Speedbird just wasn't popping up for sale, and I am not yet able to see the SC on TZ-UK, the most likely place to find one.

A little good luck had my work refunding me an overdeduction in early December. A new Speedbird was now within the budget. With nothing showing up for sale on the forums, I decided I would order a Speedbird from Time Factors, when they reopened in the New Year. Then even better luck. A FS thread on WUS on Christmas eve! Messages were exchanged, and a deal was struck. My good luck continued as the seller was in Canada! Fast delivery, and no risk of customs looking for their share.

Heboil shipped the watch on December 27th, and it arrived on the 31st. Well done Canada Post! I addition to the bracelet and Speedbird NATO, the seller included a TF aviator and TF bund strap. One of the curved spring bars provided by the seller went astray during shipping (it may be caught between the inner and outer travel case), so trying the leather straps will have to wait for curved spring bars to be sorted.

The watch is a nice addition to my small collection of sub-40mm mil-inspired watches.

All I need now is a marine watch to complete the collection... And a C5A MkII, and a CWC G10, and a fleiger, and... ah, crap.

A side-by-side comparison of the C5A and Hamilton Khaki Field (38mm) with the Speedbird (39mm). The Hammy also shows its achilles heel, a complete lack of AR. Not all that bad in real life thanks to a very legible dial.

2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Re: New Year, New Watch

Post by MiniMpi »

Lovely watch, Enjoy it :)
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I like it when a plan comes together! The speed bird is a cracking piece.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Very nice. I like the last picture with the 3 compared. 3 watches I'd be very happy to own. :thumbup:
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Congratulations! What a great way to start the new year. Very nice looking watch. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by scooter »

Rather like a C60, you can't go wrong with a Speedbird.

Congratulations.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Jan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jan »

The Speedbird is a great watch and the bracelet is one of the best I've ever seen.
C20 Lido, C5 Aviator, C5 Quartz, W6 Splash, C4 Peregrine, C6 RAF Valley
dechesne
Junior
Junior

Post by dechesne »

Wow nice watch. I wish I could buy a new watch but for me NEW YEAR, EMPTY POCKETS, so I guess I'll have to wait for a bit
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

An excellent addition to your collection! Wear in good health. :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
richtea
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by richtea »

Nice Looking simple but striking Watch

Another case of sometimes "Less is More" :)

Regards
RichT
6 x C Ward
Assorted Swiss and
Japanese Quartz/Autos etc ...

Open the pod doors Hal !! :lol:
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

Thanks everyone. It really is a pleasure to wear, and the bracelet is simply fantastic, especially at this price point. The fit of the end links to the case is probably the best of any watch I own. The simple dial is brilliant. The date is not the most legible, but this is the trade off of the clean dial look. Very happy with my purchase. I'm not in any hurry to try anything other than the bracelet or Speedbird NATO, but I am wondering how it will look on a distressed brown leather...
Beastmaster
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by Beastmaster »

Lovely watch, enjoyed reading about the planning, plotting and reasoning behind your watch buying strategy!

Enjoy your watch and your interest!
C6 yellow Kingfisher, C5 black Malvern Aviator Ltd Edition, C70 DBR1, C70 IT, C60 Trident 2012 FLE Scooter, C70 MC, C70 Cunningham
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-three: yes

Post by alphajet »

Congratulations on the Speedbird III, one of my favourite watches and the one that made me start to appreciate smaller watches. :D
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
markpdb

Post by markpdb »

Lovely watch - great collection!
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

pytanko,

I'll try and get some more wrist shots up for you. Close shots such as the one above tend to make the watch look larger on the wrist than it is. I have about the same size wrist as you, and can wear any of these 3 watches comfortably. The Speedbird is 1mm larger than the Hamilton (39 vs 38mm), but has a shorter lug to lug distance thanks to very short lugs (46 vs 47mm), so they wear about the same. The C5 probably wears the largest due to the large dial and narrow bezel. I find that the Hamilton and Speedbird feel similar on the wrist. That is to say very comfortable. I think the Speedbird may be slightly thicker.
One consideration is whether you prefer a strap or bracelet. The Speedbird bracelet is simply fantastic, and would cost more than the watch if it was sold by IWC or Omega (and is good enough to be sold by either of them. The Hamilton bracelet is ok, but nothing special. I ordered mine on black leather, and it is a superb strap. So far I haven't found a better leather strap for the watch, and may actually spend the money for the brown strap.
Here are a couple of reviews to confuse you even more:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f362/confe ... 22410.html
http://www.watcharama.com/speedbird3.htm

If cost is a consideration, go for the Hammy. I picked mine up new online for less than the used Speedbird. I really don't think you'd be unhappy with either one.