Useful Buffing Tool...

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Useful Buffing Tool...

Post by Cirrus »

Don't know what these things are called, but I "borrowed"one after seeing it being used on fingernails earlier on this evening and being quite impressed;

One end is fine, the other very fine and the other side is very fine indeed. Used it to finish off removing the scratches from a Seiko bracelet buckle and now it looks factory fresh ;-)

They are squidgy and flexible so following contours is easy and you can apply quite a bit of pressure... but stainless is clearly a bit more robust than fingernail so it is pretty much buggered after one use; hope they aren't expensive as I am going to have to replace it tomorrow!

--
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Useful Buffing Tool...

Post by jmarchitect »

Useful tip cirrus, thanks for that. By the way, it is okay for you to admit it is yours! Us manly chaps are allowed to fine tune the end of our nails occasionally, between ripping them off with pliers and sanding them down on our stubble.
Throbbe
Senior
Senior

Post by Throbbe »

That is a useful tip, thanks. May give it a try on a light scratch on my windscreen too.
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

jmarchitect wrote:Useful tip cirrus, thanks for that. By the way, it is okay for you to admit it is yours! Us manly chaps are allowed to fine tune the end of our nails occasionally, between ripping them off with pliers and sanding them down on our stubble.
I am saying nothing!

Seems they aren't hugely cheap - found them in Asda this morning for £4.5ish, but you can get them on eBay for as low as £1.50.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fortuna-3-Way ... 0237257%26
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Throbbe wrote:That is a useful tip, thanks. May give it a try on a light scratch on my windscreen too.
Might be good on acrylic watch glass as well - some seem to be designed specifically for getting a mirror shine on false acrylic nails ;)
Throbbe
Senior
Senior

Post by Throbbe »

Cirrus wrote:
Throbbe wrote:That is a useful tip, thanks. May give it a try on a light scratch on my windscreen too.
Might be good on acrylic watch glass as well - some seem to be designed specifically for getting a mirror shine on false acrylic nails ;)
As of last night I have a 20mm long crack on the front of my watch. I think it might be beyond polishing! :lol:
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Throbbe wrote:
Cirrus wrote:
As of last night I have a 20mm long crack on the front of my watch. I think it might be beyond polishing! :lol:
Yeah, sounds like... still, new watch glass is always a nice thing ;)
Throbbe
Senior
Senior

Post by Throbbe »

Cirrus wrote:
Throbbe wrote: As of last night I have a 20mm long crack on the front of my watch. I think it might be beyond polishing! :lol:
Yeah, sounds like... still, new watch glass is always a nice thing ;)
Fortunately it's a 'disposable' quartz Skagen. I like it, but I could probably buy another for the price of replacing the glass.

I'm choosing to see this as a higher power encouraging me to buy a CW watch (see wants section!) :thumbup:
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Skagens are nice enough, and the cost of replacing the crystal shouldn't be more than £10 if you spend a bit of time searching for a decent jeweller rather than walking in to the Watch Lab or whatever.

If you decide not to get it fixed and "trade up" feel free to send it to me - I will give it a good home ;)
Throbbe
Senior
Senior

Post by Throbbe »

Cirrus wrote:Skagens are nice enough, and the cost of replacing the crystal shouldn't be more than £10 if you spend a bit of time searching for a decent jeweller rather than walking in to the Watch Lab or whatever.

If you decide not to get it fixed and "trade up" feel free to send it to me - I will give it a good home ;)
That's useful info thanks, I assumed it would be more. Even with a new strap (the reason it fell and cracked) that makes it cheaper than my possible replacement - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... =344320267 - currently £60 as part of the black friday deals.

(sorry, I've taken this thread way off topic)
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Throbbe wrote:(sorry, I've taken this thread way off topic)
Still looks watchy to me ;)
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Cirrus wrote:
They are... just used one of the new ones to polish a 50 year old Tissot crystal back to its former glory. Started with 80 grit paper and ended with a dab of brasso on the smoothest surface of the buffer, but the buffer itself took a lot of the time and effort out of the immediate stages ;-)

--
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

Jewellers rouge really does work well on bracelets but can make a mess. Maybe obvious but I have always found polywatch to be great as well.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

Cirrus wrote:Seems they aren't hugely cheap - found them in Asda this morning for £4.5ish, but you can get them on eBay for as low as £1.50.

Excellent tip Cirrus.
I bought one of these and used it on the small but annoying gloss swirlies that you get when a brushed bracelet strikes a glancing blow on something equally hard - it was very effective. I used it on cheaper watches/bracelets first and moved up to my 2009LE and Revue Thommen. I was delighted with the results.
Thank you.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

Loddonite wrote:
Cirrus wrote:Seems they aren't hugely cheap - found them in Asda this morning for £4.5ish, but you can get them on eBay for as low as £1.50.

Excellent tip Cirrus.
I bought one of these and used it on the small but annoying gloss swirlies that you get when a brushed bracelet strikes a glancing blow on something equally hard - it was very effective. I used it on cheaper watches/bracelets first and moved up to my 2009LE and Revue Thommen. I was delighted with the results.
Thank you.
Glad you found it useful; I used one myself last night to spruce up an old Seiko - case AND glass - and am still quite impressed with the results ;)