Recommend me a strap...

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Recommend me a strap...

Post by Cirrus »

Bought this a while ago offa eBay - more as a practice piece than anything (cost me £7.35 from Switzerland) but then I discovered I really rather liked it; it is a nice shape, a good size for a mid-60's watch and the even wear of what I assume was once gold fill is really quite attractive.

Slight problem, I discovered it was beyond my ability to repair - or even open in a controlled manner - so I sent it off to Christian at watchguy.co.uk who discovered it was missing a number of fairly vital bits including the hour wheel... which does sort of explain why the hour hand was so loose!

So, after scavenging a number of bits from a donor movement he had kicking around it is now ticking away happily... which brings me to the search for a decent strap :)

Looking for something (in, I think, 20mm) that doesn't clash with the 1966 styling or colouring of the watch (it is actually a bit lighter and brighter than in that image) and which is going to be comfortable to wear - mid to dark brown leather maybe? Were padded straps available / popular in the 60s? Might look OK on a plain NATO?

Choices choices ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: Recommend me a strap...

Post by PaulWB »

I have a number of vintage watches (number of Oris, Favre Leuba and Renis).

I use the Di Modell extra long lizard straps from the Watchband Center in Germany (although other companies sell them).

Here is an example in black.

http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchs ... 0mm-b.html

A number of other vintage owners on the forum go with lizard as well.

The Watchband Center do thin and padded ones (I tend to go for the thin as they work better with the dimensions of vintage watches).
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

That is nice... I tend to default to black on silver and brown on gold watches so probably something like this would suit;

I was looking at rally / perforated ones and thinking they were nicely retro though... maybe I can find that style also in lizard, which I like very much ;)

--
Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
dejjl
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by dejjl »

Mel at db10 often has a variety of hides in and can make a strap to order for you. Just send him a picture of the watch and ask his opinion.