C70 RAF Ad Astra

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

C70 RAF Ad Astra

Post by CornishDave »

This is probably a daft question but in the setting the date (quick mode) it states -

" Pull out the crown to position 2 (the watch continues to run). Turn the crown clockwise until the correct date appears. The hour hand moves in one hour increments".

When setting the date on my other watches I pull out the crown to position 2, turn clockwise and the date changes. As per normal I then turn to the date before the one I want and then go to position 3 and set the hands until I pass midnight and set the time on the correct date. I am confused by the statement above "the hour hand moves in one hour increments" At position 2 the date does not change automatically but the hour hand changes an hour for each turn, as the hour hand passes midnight the date changes. Is this normal for this movement as I have never come across it before?

I thought this was a fault and was about to return it to CW, but on reading above I am wondering if this is just an unusual date change. Under another heading "Setting the Date/Time in the instruction bit the date change is as I would have expected and there is no mention of the hour hand moving.

Can anybody who owns a watch with this movement please advise?

Dave
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Re: C70 RAF Ad Astra

Post by MiniMpi »

Yes it is different to the normal way of setting the date.
The handbook is correct.
Takes a bit of getting used it.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

This is the normal function of the ETA 251.272 movement in the C70.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

Thanks both, first time I have ever come across this. More slow set than quick set!