Let's talk about tune ups, especially on the Isle of Man

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
izwellgotac5innit

Let's talk about tune ups, especially on the Isle of Man

Post by izwellgotac5innit »

Hi,

Firstly - I am very much on the "very little clue about watches" spectrum w.r.t. forum users. Feel free to use jargon anyway and I'll do my best to look it up, but I may have to clarify certain answers with you.

Secondly - on to my query. As my username suggests, I've had a C5 for what is probably close to four years now. I suspect therefore it's time to get it serviced. Can anyone recommend places on the Isle of Man that will do this for a reasonable fee - or conversely, tell me places to not consider going.

With respect to the condition of the watch, there's nothing obviously "wrong with it" other than the knob is slightly loose, i.e. it's not clicking into place in the positions it can go to properly, so you may be trying to wind it and end up adjusting the date, and so on.

Thirdly - the other "issue" with it, and it's always been an "issue", is that it's about 4 seconds fast a day - but importantly it's very consistent with this. I note, when looking at it through the back there's a dial that could be adjusted with a screwdriver to be +/-. Is that to do with the timing, and if so would a jewler be able to make it more accurate, or is that a pointless endeavour that would in fact make time keeping worse?

Thanks in advance!
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Let's talk about tune ups, especially on the Isle of Man

Post by Kip »

Welcome to "The Asylum"!

1. Don't worry about being clueless..all of us were, and most of us still are. :lol:

2. As for servicing of the C5....best place I know of....CWL 360 program.

3. As for the timing...don't touch it. Plus 4 seconds per day consistantly for 4 years is great, especially for a non COSC movement! COSC specs call for a range of -4/+6 per day. You are already in the range.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Vicious49
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by Vicious49 »

Like kip said, a consistent 4 seconds a day is very good. I wouldn't mess with that.
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

When my CW watches need service I'll send them back to CW...........................and I live in California. :shock:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
bootsy
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by bootsy »

Not sure on watch repairers on the Island but you do have the only bespoke watch maker in the British Isles who even make their own movements. Amusingly I found this out on the same BBC Radio 4 "In Business" program that got me into Christopher Ward in the first place.

I'd just send it back to the headquarters as others have said.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

You see those little marks round the screw you can see?
Each one of those is about 6 seconds per day. To improve on your 4s/d would take the most delicate of adjustments.

What is impressive is that your C5 has been so consistent - I think that's a measure of the watch quality - it's easier to improve the accuracy than the consistency.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.