Discuss Christopher Ward watches
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Re: Scratches on the back?

Post by robert75 »

Kip wrote:I have a C60 auto, C60 GMT, and both FLEs that are all on bracelets. The GMT is on the old bracelet. None are a daily wear but all have been getting a regular rotation lately.

I have inspected all and find no scratches on the casebacks. I have inspected the clasps and find no rough edges. When I remove the watches at night I close the clasp and they are put on a pillow and returned to the watch box.

That said, it would seem to be some issue somewhere.

I have brought this thread to the attention of Chris so that he is aware in case there is something somewhere that needs to be corrected.
I think it is worth bringing this to his attention as they are cracking watches and personally it was a let down for me because I paid the extra for the bracelet so a leather strap would be a second option. I have now removed my bracelet and bought a leather strap to avoid any further damage. I have had mine in use for 2 weeks and it was within days I noticed the marks on the back. I started putting a cloth in between the back and the bracelet whenever I put the watch down.

It may well be down to the mirror back of the watch which if that is the case IMO I think these ones should be sold on leather or rubber straps only to avoid this issue. My scratches dont appear too deep so hopefully will polish out.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

Post by Peteo »

f1colin wrote:
xtriple wrote:Also, when I unscrew the crown to "hack" position,it doesn't always "unhack" straight away. In fact, the crown feels a bit "sticky" and doesn't want to return to neutral (pre-screwed in) position. Is this another fault of or a foible?
To the extent my fle and c600 tri tech both do that too, i think it is peculiar to the sellita sw200....
I have this same "sticky" crown issue on my C60 FLE Red. It worried me at first. I find if I give the crown a slight turn as I'm getting it to position 2, it is fine.

For me, the crown has been the most consistent problem area for all of my CW watches. My C60 FLE has the "sticky" issue. My C5 is tricky to get closed. My C60 Kingfisher has an annoying habit of slipping back into position 2 when I'm turning the crown to set the time. The crown on my NN C2 busted after a couple of months (one of these days, I'm gonna send it in to be fixed, I swear). Only the crowns on my C70 Cunningham Stripe and my C9 FLE feel all-the-way-through solid. That said, only the C2 issue is really a problem, so I've just learned to deal with the little quirks of each crown.

As to scratches on my C60 FLE's caseback, I'm not sure. I'll have to have a looksie when I get home.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
ndabunka
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3
LE-foura: yes

Post by ndabunka »

I get motorcycle stuff chromed all the time. I wonder if including the rear with my next "bike project" might make sense (as long as they don't try to chrome the threads or inside, I think it may be an option. I haven't gotten mine yet so I will have to be careful from day 1 of the partnership. :lol:
The 3 C's of life: choices, chances, change. You have to make a choice to take a chance or your life will never change!
If you don't make a choice, the choice makes you...
GordyS
Senior
Senior

Post by GordyS »

Ok all, got mine back after bezel repair (in time for Easter break as promised by CW). Worn the watch daily since the 4th April and 4 days before it went for repair. So a total of 14 days and yes I have hairline scratches too. I can categorically state that it has never been rested on its bracelet as when it is not on my wrist it is in the watch winder or if temporarily off I always lay it on its side.

No other problems and I love it.

Cheers

GordyS
Cheers
GordyS
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I am beginning to think it is the watch mites. :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by Peteo »

Peteo wrote:
As to scratches on my C60 FLE's caseback, I'm not sure. I'll have to have a looksie when I get home.
Looks to be fine. Nothing that I can see.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
SlvrSrfr
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by SlvrSrfr »

Glad (or not) to hear that others are on the same boat! I was thinking that I was too careless with the watch. I have both the scratched caseback and the issue with the sticky crown. I just put the sticky crown to quirks in each individual movement. The scratched caseback is a dilemma, though, as I've only wore it once, and have been extra careful. I have a blue FLE, by the way.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

Just an observation regarding the crown problem people are having. On the instructions twisting the crown out to position one you can wind it on about 20 rotations to get the watch ticking position 2 and 3 for setting the time and date. I have wound the watch on quite regular just to keep things ticking over and have found no problems with the crown.

On my C5 changing position on the crown was fine but on my FLE I found I didnt feel the crown "Snap out" Into position one as my C5 did. On winding the C5 though over the past few days I have found everything on the crown working as it should. Perhaps giving the watch a wind every couple of days may loosen up the crown and make it easier to use. Just a thought.

Tips on cleaning up those scratches on the back would be highly appreciated though.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

xtriple wrote:Also, when I unscrew the crown to "hack" position,it doesn't always "unhack" straight away. In fact, the crown feels a bit "sticky" and doesn't want to return to neutral (pre-screwed in) position. Is this another fault of or a foible?
You're not the only one. I never liked screw down crowns for just that very reason. I think I discovered that you have to make sure it's pulled out good before pushing it back in. Pull it back out then in again it and when it happens.
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

Russ-Shettle wrote:
You're not the only one. I never liked screw down crowns for just that very reason. I think I discovered that you have to make sure it's pulled out good before pushing it back in. Pull it back out then in again it and when it happens.
having read the threads concerning difficulties with the crowns on the various watches (C60, C5, C-whatever) I am reminded of troubles I had with an Invicta Pro Diver 9937 model, in which the crown, crown tube, and winding stem played significant parts. Powered by a Sellita SW200 movement, I became convinced the the movement(at least the above mentioned parts of it) was the issue, that it wasn't made as well as the ETA 2824-2. Compared to the Hamilton Field Khaki, which has got the 2824-2, and feels very solidly made when moving the parts, the 200-2 by Sellita just doesn't feel the same; mind you, the Khaki isn't a screw-down crown, that may make a difference. All the same, be careful when screwing in the crown; on my Invicta, It became very difficult to push into position, and finally broke the winding stem one day when I was screwing down the crown. There was a little 'pop,' and the whole thing came out easy as you please.
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

I do think it's because the threaded post the crown screws down on is right at the edge of the click-spring adjustment meaning: It becomes a stop too close to the change in position. When pushing in on the crown from its outer "hack" position to the "wind" position, the post may stopping the shaft before it can click into place. This is why I say to pull it back out in the hack position then back in again until you're sure it has clicked back to position 1 for winding. As you thread the crown back on, it is winding the mainspring, or it should be.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-three: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

The back of the FLE is different and does seem to pick up scratches easier than the standard C60.

Standard C60 Trident Auto Black

C60 Trident FLE 2012 Blue

The engraving on the standard is much deeper and covers more of the watch. I wear this watch quite a lot and it does not show hardly any scratching (but it is on leather). The FLE shows quite a few already. Luckily Cape Cod will take care of them but as the engraving is so light I am concerned that Cape Cod would also remove the pattern. :shock: The back on the standard one seems done to a much higher quality.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin