Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Jump Hour

Post by Aifo »

As the C9JH is always one of the most discussed/ debated watch of CWL on this forum, I think you'd be interested to know how other watchmakers present their cases. This B&R to me is a pretty impressive design:

I think it's simple yet unique, clean, well balanced, and very beautiful. Won't be able to afford one though! :oops:
Incoming: 0
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Re: Jump Hour

Post by Loddonite »

Unfortunately when it comes to designing a watch around a jumping hour movement some designers create watches that look like miniature bathroom scales. The Bell and Ross is one of the nicer jumping hour designs out there, but the current range is priced around $30,000, so I won't be bothering.

This site has some good pictures and is maintained by someone who knows about the subject. Have a look and tell me I'm wrong about the 'bathroom scales'... though there's some rather nice bathroom scales designs...

Crazywatches is a damn fine site, it's not just for jump hours.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 108

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

Loddonite wrote:Unfortunately when it comes to designing a watch around a jumping hour movement some designers create watches that look like miniature bathroom scales. The Bell and Ross is one of the nicer jumping hour designs out there, but the current range is priced around $30,000, so I won't be bothering.

This site has some good pictures and is maintained by someone who knows about the subject. Have a look and tell me I'm wrong about the 'bathroom scales'... though there's some rather nice bathroom scales designs...

Crazywatches is a damn fine site, it's not just for jump hours.
You're not wrong. Now i know what the CW Jumping Hour reminds me of. :thumbup: :thumbup:
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

Find it impossible to get enthused by jump hour watches. Something about them just turns me completely off. I guess I just like two (or three) hands and the jump hour just looks like a solution to a question no one has asked.
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Whats wrong with a bathroom scale?

Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Leo David »

Ditto XT, they are undoubtedly clever things but I can't quite warm to them.
RockyRacoon
Senior
Senior

Post by RockyRacoon »

In my mind, a watch should look well-balanced. For that reason I've never liked the Hamilton Ventura series. The B&R above pulls it off in my opinion and actually looks quite elegant. But the Elgin is plain awful.
Andy

CW watches: C700 Grand Rapide / C8 Mk II U-2 Vintage / Constance Deco [square] - for the other half
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

RockyRacoon wrote:In my mind, a watch should look well-balanced. For that reason I've never liked the Hamilton Ventura series. The B&R above pulls it off in my opinion and actually looks quite elegant. But the Elgin is plain awful.
Well technically...the Elgin is a "Direct Read" and not a Jump hour. I don't think it is that bad, but it is a nice collectors piece. 8)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

Lets just say we are pushing ever closer to the 300 neighborhood. Currently working with a new collection software program that will include photos in a catalog form. I shall be doing some weeding along the way.

Damn clock collection has been taking up a lot of time lately as well.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"