Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Re: Watch World volume 6 issue 4

Post by Galton321 »

I find this post really interesting particulalrly what it seems to reveal about the attitudes of Forum members to CWL. Some feel that they wouldn't pay £2000 for a CWL no matter what because they see CWL as cheap and cheerful (my words). Others that selling £200 ladies watches cheapens the brand. That is their concern seems to be how well the brand is regarded by others rather than the product itself. My take on things is that CWL aim is to offer quality timepieces at a reseanable cost. We can argue over quality but Chris has made claims about his watches being comparable to some well known brands but at much lower prices. Again not being a watchmaker I can't judge this accurately either. However, subjectively comparing my CWLs with other brands at various price points I am happy that I get a lot bang for my buck.There's lots of competition at the lower price points but can't see anything like the C90 JH or C90 Beckett out there for a comparable price.The absolute price level doesn't really bother me what is of interest is the quality comparison and price compared with other brands. If Chris produces a £2000 watch which in terms of features and quality is comparable to other brands at at lower relative cost then I will buy it (subject to having the funds, of course). I'm not a brand fan. I wouldn't want a Rolex if I was given one, I just don't like them although they are good quality watches, with a good provence and history of technical innovation. I realise that some regard their watches as investments so retained value is of concern so the better the brand is regarded the more the watch is likely to be desirable and hence retain value. This is a valid position. Not everyone is as knowledgeable as some folks around here and I suspect that apart from horologists and watch collectors most people judge desirability by how much it costs. Does this mean that Chris will have to up his prices to get this market. He admits that enthusiasts like ourselves don't make up the largest part of his market.

Consequently I am looking forward to seeing what Chris offers in the £1000-£2000 range. All this is a personal view and no criticism any forum members, whose views I welcome and respect, is intended. :)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Galton321 wrote:Consequently I am looking forward to seeing what Chris offers in the £1000-£2000 range.
Regardless of what the offerings may be..rest assured..that some will love it and some will hate it..and some of us will pick it apart. That's what we do. :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by eggtronics »

Here's the article:

And a bit where we are mentioned:

CWL are still Swiss Made watches, and are more or less the cheapest out there delivering outstanding results. The rules and regulations for Swiss Made are pretty high, and they make these high quality pieces available to Joe Public (like myself). If they were to make a watch worth over £1000, then it would be a VERY high quality piece, which would be equivalent to a MUCH higher value watch if offered by Omega, Tag, etc.
In my mind a good brand offers a wide range of services (ie watches) at a variety of prices - I don't think that because CW has a wide price variety means that its is a 'cheap' brand.
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

I think some relatively expensive pieces in the collection certainly wouldn't harm CW so long as the same degree (if not more) of thoughts and attentions are being put into the new pieces no matter what the price point it is. And I do hope CW will still continue on it's mission to offer the cheapest most expensive watches to average Joe (like me) going forward. I do also hope in the future (foreseeable or not) CW can build up it's reputation and become someone's grail, rather than continuing to be the puppy love which you knew will eventually depart and be replaced by something "better".

For me the real killer would be hefty marketing fees in the expense of consumers, and as long as CW continues to re-invest in watch making rather than brand marketing, it will get my support and my money in the wallet.
Incoming: 0
TempusFugit
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 4

Post by TempusFugit »

I own a C9 JH. Mine is number 129. In fact it is my only CW timepiece. It's a remarkable achievement at the price it commands and sits very nicely with its companions in my collection of rather more esteemed wrist ornaments.

I'm looking forward to the next high-end offering from CW and, if it delivers the quality the C9 JH does, is limited to a small number and has an attractive complication I'd be happy to part with significant cash to own it.

Well done Christopher.
Four CWs and too many others to list!
And loads of clocks.
And bicycles.
SparkyN
CW-watches: 0

Post by SparkyN »

I think the fact the quality is there and that CW keep the models LTD to small numbers, could easily command the £2k figure.
Mark

Chopard Mille Miglia
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

I don't think there's any issue with CW having a flagship in the £1700-£1800 range. It's not as if we have to buy it. There will be people who do buy it, people who are drawn to the website by it and buy something cheaper and people who just become aware of the brand and may return later - it's partly a marketing thing as well as being a demonstration of capability and a statement of intent.
I think CW's bread and butter will remain in the lower end.

... mind you, if it's not just clever and good value, but looks good too - then maybe more of us will be looking for the extra few hundred pounds down the back of the sofa and raiding the kid's piggy banks.

Galton321 wrote:... I wouldn't want a Rolex if I was given one...
Dear Rolex Fairy,
Can I have Galton's one please?
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
jayoungf9
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by jayoungf9 »

I think that Quality, excellent customer service and innovation sells itself.

It costs a lot of time, effort and dedication to get that sort of thing right and keep it right.

I don't know anyone who doesn't like highly accurate automatic watches. I suppose bringing out something in the £1000+ bracket is making it unique and yet not having it 'overengineered' so that it spends more time getting fixed than on peoples wrists. That would be an easy mistake to make.