Battery change and WR

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Battery change and WR

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
Gogs
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Re: Battery change and WR

Post by Gogs »

I'm no expert, but bog standard jewellers usually say this. There are some that have testing kit that will verify WR for an extra cost.

Not sure what would happen when they test it and it leaks.......

Sent using Tapatalk
Tag Heuer Monaco
Tag Heuer Professional Golf
C60 Trident Auto
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Proper commercial pressure testing machines are expensive. A true service center should have the capability to at least change the caseback gasket and do a pressure test.

They will not guarantee the water resistance because they can't test for it.

If they have the ability to test and it does leak, at least you know and can take proper precautions. The most they can do to correct would probably be the caseback gasket. If it leaks otherwise it is probably the crystal or crown gaskets which very few centers are prepared to keep in stock due to so many specialty gaskets out there.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Battery change and WR

/
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

It's daft isn't it PDdad?

Long ago I got the same spiel - "We can't guarantee that the watch will be waterproof after we change the battery." I explained that I could guarantee that it wouldn't tell the time if they didn't change the battery.

I do my own batteries now, re-grease the seals and trust to luck - it's only a quartz.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
28800bph
"Asylum Knight of the Diver"

Post by 28800bph »

I faced the same question myself. It is frustrating to pay for service and be told that the watch "might" be water "resistant". The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) issued a standard which prohibits the term "waterproof" to be used with watches. Nearly all manufacturers have gone along with that recommendation.

So I built my own pressure testers. 3 bar, 10 bar, and 345 bar.

Now I am convinced that all my watches are guaranteed to be "waterproof." :D
Drmarkf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Drmarkf »

Heuer main dealers guarantee waterproofness if you get the battery changed by them (at a price, of course).
Regards,
Mark

Rolex [4] : Omega [2] : Heuer [3] : Sinn : Nomos : Zeno : Steinhart : Citizen : Traser : Casio : Smiths/PRS
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

/

Some watches
28800bph

Post by 28800bph »

Not really. The o-ring is made of an elastomer, typically butyl rubber. Sometimes silicone or viton. They all have severe "compression set" after a few years. i.e. the rubber does not rebound to original shape. Any time an o-ring seal is re-made, the o-ring should be replaced. If you go to the mall to get a battery change, most likely they will not change the o-ring.
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by rcherryuk »

28800bph wrote:I faced the same question myself. It is frustrating to pay for service and be told that the watch "might" be water "resistant". The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) issued a standard which prohibits the term "waterproof" to be used with watches. Nearly all manufacturers have gone along with that recommendation.

So I built my own pressure testers. 3 bar, 10 bar, and 345 bar.

Now I am convinced that all my watches are guaranteed to be "waterproof." :D
Now that's just showing off!

Now, come on, when are you gonna offer a fluorinisation programme for our C6s?

I'd be willing to pay along with many more

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

a

Some watches
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

Nice theory... but I think you may have difficulty securing only a few gaskets for your collection and being sure you have the correct size and diameter. You will most likely have to buy an assortment. Proper lubricant as vaseline is not appropriate, as it is petroleum based. Then you must have the correct batteries and somewher close to the correct tools.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not against the do it yourself battery change. You just need to understand your limits and the possible consequences. All the things you need are available on the internet. You just need to search out what you need.

I stock about 2000 caseback gaskets and an equal amount of batteries and although it is extremely rare that I don't have the correct battery, gaskets differ a lot in shape and diameters.

Depending on the watch I get $15-$50 for most and some go $50 -$85 for battery changes. For that you get a fresh battery (never in my possesion for more than 90 days), contacts are coated with a corrosion inhibitor, a new caseback gasket and a pressure test (up to 20 ATM) with a printout to guarantee that the job was done properly.

If it fails WR testing, I do it again to insure that the gasket is seated correctly. If it still fails I know it is the crystal or crown gaskets. Those are way to many to stock so the watch would need to be sent out for those.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Battery change and WR

a

Some watches
28800bph

Post by 28800bph »

Kip wrote:For that you get a fresh battery (never in my possesion for more than 90 days), contacts are coated with a corrosion inhibitor, a new caseback gasket and a pressure test (up to 20 ATM) ...
What do you use for a corrosion inhibitor? Is it something like CAIG deoxit or Staticide Powerpen?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator

Post by Kip »

28800bph wrote:
Kip wrote:For that you get a fresh battery (never in my possesion for more than 90 days), contacts are coated with a corrosion inhibitor, a new caseback gasket and a pressure test (up to 20 ATM) ...
What do you use for a corrosion inhibitor? Is it something like CAIG deoxit or Staticide Powerpen?

The pen works great and is easy to work with in even the smallest chambers.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"