C4 Peregrine - love/hate relationship

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ChrisMc
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

C4 Peregrine - love/hate relationship

Post by ChrisMc »

I recently picked up an absolute mint version of the Peregrine, and to be honest, love its look, it really is a TAG/Breitling look-a like and looks more like a £1500 watch than a £200 piece.

However, and this is pretty important, as a 'useable' timepiece, its rather lacking, purely because the hands are not 'that visible' with a cursory glance.
In low light, its positively tricky to read, so I fear its not a keeper.

I did ask Wera if its possible to change the hands, but Tech Dept simply referrred me to the 'Movement' website, with no more assistance re changing hands, so I'm none the wiser.

Anyone else feel the same about the aesthetics of the Peregrine ?

C11 coming along for me I feel, something instantly 'readable'.
TAG S/EL Link
C11 Chrono
Maurice Lacroix Reveill
Boccia Titanium Chrono
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: C4 Peregrine - love/hate relationship

Post by downer »

I assume you have a C4 with the contrasting sub-dials?

If so, I think the problem is a general issue with watches with different coloured sub-dials, especially if the user has some slightly ageing eyes (as I have). I had a C4 which was all blue and it was pretty ease to read. I also had a C40 with the rings around the sub-dials and I found that tricky.

If you have a problem reading a C11, I fear nobody could help. :D
Richard
Jascee
CW-watches: 13

Post by Jascee »

Must admit that the C4 Peregrine was my very first CW purchase, back in the Swiss Movt days. Back then I loved it but after a while the attraction wore off. It sat in my watch case for a good 15 months when the battery died and only just had it serviced through CW and the 360 service. I've worn it a couple fo times since but, TBH, it does nothing for me now. Maybe my tastes have changed as I get older! It is one that I am actually considering selling which is unusual for me as I don't like to get rid of any of my watches even if they're not being worn!

The fact that every time I wear it on a Saturday my football team gets beat probably has some form of unrational mental association which considers it a jinx watch and therefore feeding the negative feelings towards it!
The CW Collection:
C1 Russell, C3 Malvern Chrono, C4 Peregrine Black, C6 Kingfisher T3, C600 Tri-Tech Black, C60 GMT, C8 Pilot MK1, C90 Becketts, C11 Mk1 (Mine) R3 Ronde, W5SWP Matisse, S20 Charlotte (Wifes), W6 Pink (Daughters)
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

downer wrote:I assume you have a C4 with the contrasting sub-dials?

If so, I think the problem is a general issue with watches with different coloured sub-dials, especially if the user has some slightly ageing eyes (as I have). I had a C4 which was all blue and it was pretty ease to read. I also had a C40 with the rings around the sub-dials and I found that tricky.
+1 on that. I have the all blue C4 chrono and find it very readable. I had the black with silver sub dials and sold it. I have also found the same problem with other makes. The dark dial and light subdials make it hard to read the time unless they have taken a lot of trouble with the design of the hands. The only chrono that has mixed colours that I can read is my Breitling Colt Chrono which has a cream dial and light(ish) blue subdials. That works really well.
http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... 05#p139518
It also helps that they have a good outline on the hands.
ChrisMc wrote:I did ask Wera if its possible to change the hands, but Tech Dept simply referrred me to the 'Movement' website, with no more assistance re changing hands, so I'm none the wiser.
I doubt that they would do that. They have only just geared up to do servicing so they would only have their own hands. You would need to go to an independent watch maker and see what they can do.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
ChrisMc
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by ChrisMc »

Yes - it is the Black Dial & Silver sub-dials version, I just think the hands are'nt substantial enough to give a contrast against the face etc.

Shame really, I love the main look/feel of the watch, but if I cant read the time with a quick glance, whats the point.
TAG S/EL Link
C11 Chrono
Maurice Lacroix Reveill
Boccia Titanium Chrono