Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

New sales-corner rule

Post by Hans »

Dear forum-members,

Starting today, the Sales-corner part of the forum can only be used by forum-members who have posted more than 30 messages. We have taken this measure to make it as difficult as possible for scammers to mis-use the forum, but we realize it's not a perfect way to prevent this. As always: be careful when buying on the internet, buy the seller, not the watch.

Hans
leoo
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Re: New sales-corner rule

Post by leoo »

Hans wrote:Dear forum-members,

Starting today, the Sales-corner part of the forum can only be used by forum-members who have posted more than 30 messages. We have taken this measure to make it as difficult as possible for scammers to mis-use the forum, but we realize it's not a perfect way to prevent this. As always: be careful when buying on the internet, buy the seller, not the watch.

Hans
Nice Hans, I think it will work out nicely. :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
sadgit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by sadgit »

That explains why I cant get on it, must post more
CW owned to date, C9 Jumping Hand Mk2 (now here-WOW) C900 (my new love) 2011 FLE (my old love) C60 trident x2 (Black & Orange) C50 COSC (eve out) C3 Chrono (now sons) Victoria Deco (better half)
IanK
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by IanK »

What scamming is going on then?
CWL C5 Aviator
Breitling Aerospace
Bremont Alt1-C
Bremont Alt1-ZT/51
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

IanK wrote:What scamming is going on then?

I suspect it's more a case of a recent heavy influx of 1st time posters signing up to just sell watches rather than contribute.
IanK
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by IanK »

In fairness, it's hardly scamming to benefit fellow CW collectors with good value pre-loved models.
CWL C5 Aviator
Breitling Aerospace
Bremont Alt1-C
Bremont Alt1-ZT/51
FieryTowse
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by FieryTowse »

Hmm. I don't suppose 30 posts is a big issue, but still being a relative newcomer I'm reluctant to just pile in to any and every discussion (until I'm perhaps a little better known). I'm going to have to make that effort though because I've already expressed an interest in castle's Steinhart Ocean GMT Pepsi and I can no longer keep track of developments on that thread.
C3SKK/SKS
C11 KVKT
Omega Geneve Dynamic 135.0033 manual wind
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.02.003
Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial 233.30.41.21.01.001
Steinhart Ocean Two
Rolex GMT-Master II 126710BLNR
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

IanK wrote:In fairness, it's hardly scamming to benefit fellow CW collectors with good value pre-loved models.
In the last year there have been several instances of 'less then ethical' selling practices. It's very difficult to 'buy the seller' when a persons first three postings are on the sales corner. I see the 30 posting rule as a minor form of insurance and of little inconvenience to a legitimate forum participant. I welcome the change. :thumbup:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

It doesn't seem like a bad policy and at the end of the day I would think the forum will be better for having people here who want to talk about watches and occasionally sell rather then the other way round.

One more post and I can see what's behind the magic curtain! :D
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

30 is nothing at all....anyone who wants to join in will get to 30 just like that.
It will stop people joining just to sell...and that's a good thing. :)
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mr Rick »

Lawrence wrote:It doesn't seem like a bad policy and at the end of the day I would think the forum will be better for having people here who want to talk about watches and occasionally sell rather then the other way round.

One more post and I can see what's behind the magic curtain! :D
That's the spirit Lawrence. :clap: :thumbup:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
IanK
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by IanK »

I suspect a lot of people are like me who enjoy the extra dimension that the forum brings but may not necessarily be that chatty.
CWL C5 Aviator
Breitling Aerospace
Bremont Alt1-C
Bremont Alt1-ZT/51
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mr Rick »

IanK wrote:I suspect a lot of people are like me who enjoy the extra dimension that the forum brings but may not necessarily be that chatty.
Perhaps, but let me put it this way. I will be wary of the person who's 31st posting is a listing in the sales corner. :problem:
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I suppose it is a sign of the growing popularity of the forum. TZ-UK had a limit of 50 posts for SC but recently;y put it up to 250.
FieryTowse wrote:I'm going to have to make that effort though because I've already expressed an interest in castle's Steinhart Ocean GMT Pepsi and I can no longer keep track of developments on that thread.
You can still PM and e-mail as you know that the thread exists. If the forum works like others then when you are logged out you will be able to read the sales area (although I have not tested that). A bit of a nuisance as you have to log out to read it and then login to pm/e-mail the seller.

Personally I did not mind as if I did not think it was a good deal or seller I could ignore it. I suspect the limit has been put up because of the furore created by some members when anyone has the audacity to post a sale for their first post. Even though there was nothing in the rules against it.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
IanK
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by IanK »

I bought a C8 recently from a member who has only made 7 posts. He was a delight to deal with but simply hadn't posted a lot.
CWL C5 Aviator
Breitling Aerospace
Bremont Alt1-C
Bremont Alt1-ZT/51