A place to discuss other watch-brands
Pete_vxl
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Hand winders amongst us (steinhart)

Post by Pete_vxl »

Evening all.

Really wanting some gentle peer pressure. Im relatively new to watch collecting but i have a basic grasp on the goings on. Mrs pete_vxl has offered to get me a watch for my birthday and i have my eyes set on a steinhart B-UHR hand wind however although it is a beautiful peice i have never owned a manual watch before. Is it advisible to get one or should i get the auto?

The watch will be used maybe twice a week as i use my CW monte carlo and a Rotary diver as my dailys.

Any advice welcomed.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Hand winders amongst us (steinhart)

Post by downer »

I'd say you would be happy with either. The hand-wound has a nice, visible movement which adds some interest to the watch, but obviously, misses out on the date and the large second hand.

One of the nice things about mechanical watches is watching the sweep of the second hand, and for me, that puts the auto at an advantage.

On the other hand, many people enjoy the interaction of setting and winding the watch before using it.

In terms of using it twice per week, I don't think it matters which one you choose, and you can't go wrong with either. :)
Richard
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

A hand wound needs to be wound up before use or wound every day if you want to keep the watch going. Some people like the ritual and intimacy of setting the watch and winding it each time or every day.

An automatic usually needs a few turns of the crown to get it going but once going your movement moves the rotor and fully winds it and keeps it wound while you ware wearing it. Most autos have a power reserve of 38 to 42 hours. If you are only going to wear it twice a week then it will need setting and winding each time you wear it unless you buy a watch winder for it.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I agree with Richard that I'm sure you'd be happy with either. My preference is for hand-wound watches, mainly because I enjoy winding them, but also because I don't seem to get autos powered up to the max (lazy git, obviously :lol: ) and if you want to keep several going, manual winders are a lot easier than autos.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Pete_vxl
Junior
Junior

Hand winders amongst us (steinhart)

Post by Pete_vxl »

What would the servicing be like on a manual? Would it take kindly to only being wore once or twice a week?

I like the idea of the auto but i dont think i can say no to the open case back.

Sent from my Nokia 3210
downer

Post by downer »

Either watch would be fine with wearing once or twice per week, and I would expect the servicing costs to be similar.

Sounds to me like you really want the manual-wind. Go for it!! :)
Richard
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I'm no expert but here's what I understand. Not running a mechanical watch (manual or auto) for a long time can be detrimental as it prevents proper distribution of the lubricants. On the other hand, while a new watch in particular is perfectly capable of running 24/7 on a continuous basis, doing so reduces the service intervals. I ensure that all my mechanical watches run for at least 24 hours continuously every week (they will sit for a couple of weeks when I'm on holiday). From what I'm given to believe, that's best for the watch.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Pete_vxl wrote:What would the servicing be like on a manual? Would it take kindly to only being wore once or twice a week?
Servicing of watches is 3 to 7 years regardless whether it is an auto or manual. The only real difference is that the auto has a rotor that automatically winds up the spring as you move.

If you wear it every day then that will be wear and tear. A general rule of thumb that I have seen is as long as a mechanical gets wound once a month to keep the oils fluid then that is fine.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

I'm really getting into manual wind watches, you always know the state of charge or otherwise which I'm always worried about with autos. Plus, there really is something cathartic about being responsible for its wellbeing or otherwise; you forget, it forgets.
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by footycrazy »

Lots of positives for both, Manual wind wins in this case as its the much better looking from front and back :thumbup:
Graham
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Go for the manual wind Pete. I added a manual wind to my collection recently and it is now, quite possibly, my favourite piece. The ritual of taking it out of the box, setting the time and giving it a wind is very pleasurable and not the chore I thought it would be. I also really like the slow beat, gentle 'snick-snick' sound emitted by the movement, the same one that is in the watch you are looking at. You can always add an auto at a later stage!
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

Tough choice.
I could never decide between the various offerings from Steinhard, Archimede and Laco - and ended up with none of them. It reads as if the manual wind is your first choice, so it may be worth sticking with that gut-feel.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Being a collector of vintage pieces as well, I have developed an appreciation of the character of a manual wind watch. There is a certain appreciation that goes goes with the fact that it is you that brings the watch to life.

Absolutely nothing wrong with autos, but if I like both equally and want to make a choice......I go manual. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by alphajet »

It depends how obsessed you are about keeping accurate time, the Unitas hand wound movement is non hacking so is difficult to set to the correct time. I set mine from stopped by giving a quick wind and a shake when the second hand is in the correct place then setting the hour and minute hands. It is possible to stop the second hand by applying a slight back pressure to the crown, not sure if this is good for the movement though so try to avoid doing it. Every collection sould have one it's nice to interact with your watch, although mine don't get worn as often as my auto's because there is no date function.
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

I'd like to throw my hat in with the folks who are urging you to get the manual wind. I was hesitant about getting one at first, but there is something wonderfully interactive about winding the thing up each morning. I did have one experience where I gave my watch a quick check after the wind had lost its juice just 15 minutes before, and I didn't realize that it had stopped, so I ended up being late for something. But really, that is easily avoided as long as you remember to give a solid wind before you start your day.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?