Diver Prototype Photos - Work In Progress

Prototypes and sketches of non-production watches.
Forum rules
This part of the forum contains prototype-material, information and photo's kindly provided by CW. No high-quality photography of the final product, just a great opportunity to get an insight of what is going on over at CW!
joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by joerattz »

The Unitas is appealing to me too, but not in a diver. I don't want to have to be unscrewing the crown every day. It just makes total sense to be automatic on a watch with a screw down crown. But, I would love to see Chris do a dress watch with the hand wound Unitas. If I could just convince him to let me design it. if he did, I know he would sell at least one! :D
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
CW-watches: 7
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Hans »

Ehhh, talking about Unitas...
Wibbleman

Post by Wibbleman »

I would be happy to live with a quartz movement. The only thing I really hate is non perpetual calendar quartz movements.

With a mechanical, its a part of the charm, with a quartz/computer run movement it just feels "cheap" for lack of a better word. I am sure there are good reasons and all that, I just wont consider a non perpetual model unless it has some very compelling other features. I would prefer that it simply doesn't display the date at all if it can't keep it accurate :)
Navster

Re: Diver Prototype Photos - Work In Progress

Post by Navster »

I'm new to CW watches and just put in an order for a black aviator on an alligator strap (black). Looks gorgeous in the photos!

Been looking at the forum and come across this diver which looks fantastic - in my opinion much nicer than the Kingfisher elsewhere on the forum. Any more news on when it's coming and movement, etc.?
Hans
Administrator Emeritus - Founder
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Hans »

Welcome Navster. The images in this thread are all study-material which leaded to the final design of the Kingfisher. The Kingfisher will be available very soon, and I am hoping to post the first real-life production-photos of the Kingfisher this week!
TotalAxcess
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by TotalAxcess »

There are some nice bezel designs in here that should be considered IMHO for any future divers.

I'm wearing this watch as I type this, the internal rotating bezel is a nice design, you adjust it with it's own separate crown at the 4 position. The Bezel can be set to any position on the dial, not just minute markers. The downside is you can't adjust it under water, but most recreational divers wouldn't need to. I bring all of this up because it looks like CWL has considered this design:

Put the current black tapered silicon strap on these models, definite winner.

If you don't go internal rotating bezel than this design is more legible than the current C6 bezel.

As I stated in another post, If you stay with the current C6 Kingfisher bezel, which I do like the looks of, I would certainly enhance the numbers with some color.

Ok, just my 2 cents, I'm done, thanks for putting up with me all.
Chronologically inept since 2040
http://www.totalaxcess.blogspot.com/
zach471
Senior
Senior

Post by zach471 »

Wow, this thread is back! Even given the age of it, and knowing what we now know about the Kingfisher, I much prefer the style that never made it. The black hand wind above looks fantastic IMO.

It's the watch that could have been.
flashman
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by flashman »

Very interesting. I've never fancied the Kingfisher one bit, too showy for a utility watch I've aways thought. The early design drawings are a revelation; the red/black that Hans liked would have been a definite for me. Especially a mechanical movement.
Very interesting to see the early drawings with the notes on and how much the concept changed.
Xaras
CW-watches: 0

Re:

Post by Xaras »

I would go for this one:

rygel16th
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Re: Re:

Post by rygel16th »

Xaras wrote:I would go for this one:

I look at this and I think "Oris". I don't think it's individual enough.
Xaras
CW-watches: 0

Post by Xaras »

rygel16th wrote: I look at this and I think "Oris". I don't think it's individual enough.
:?
EcosseOz
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by EcosseOz »

flashman wrote:Very interesting. I've never fancied the Kingfisher one bit, too showy for a utility watch I've aways thought.
Sorry mate, but that comment has left me totally confused :? :?

The Kingfisher, particulary the black face one, is a very undersated, hardwearing and functional timepiece perfect for everyday wear. But everyone is entitled to their opinions!!
The CW Collection: Now well used C6IPSI (#2)
C4IP4 (#1331)
C6 Forum LE (#64) -Sold to Tikkathree
C6SWS (#761)
Non-CW: A Breitling, 3x Omega, 1xMido, that now (13y) more ancient Raymond Weil and a Dead Seiko I can't part with (32yrs+)
flashman
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by flashman »

Hi EcosseOz,

No mystery to it, I just never liked it enough to buy it. You're right, the black face would have been my choice if I'd gone for it; it is as you say a bit more understated. Not really the sort I'd use for everyday wear though. I work out in hot and humid climates a lot and my watch for then is a dive (Longines Hydroconquest) that I bought earlier this year and looks ok with a suit as well as when I'm working outside. I didn't think that the Kingfisher would go so well with a suit, having said that, it might well...and at the end of the day, choosing watches is as subjective as choosing car :) I'm glad it is too, Ecosse, or we'd all have the same watch :lol:
rygel16th
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by rygel16th »

Xaras wrote:
rygel16th wrote: I look at this and I think "Oris". I don't think it's individual enough.
:?
I meant this:

See the resemblance? Or is it just me?
Yoda
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Yoda »

They are all variations on a theme. The secret is to be the best design that works.
Indigo fugit

Yoda, bringing light to the dark side.