Whatever happened to thin watches?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Whatever happened to thin watches?

Post by Wis »

During the 50's and 60's it seems to me that quality watches were thin. Also the cases were thinner at the edge, giving them an even slimmer outline. This thinness makes them extremely comfortable to wear, as well as stylish and understated. Not to mention marvels of micro technology.
Now, it seems to me it is rare to find a new watch slimmer than 10mm. Even a very expensive model called "ultra thin" is 9,9mm thick (Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Moon 39)! Not by any strech of the imagination is 9,9mm ultra thin.
Now, I love the C5, but its 10,8mm thick case sits like a brick on the wrist compared to my beloved Polerouter. Of course, the micro rotor movement of the Polerouter allows it to be thinner than a model with a conventional rotor, but why has thin gone out of style? Has elegance somehow been redefined to mean big and clumsy?
Diver's watches need a bit of bulk. Chronographs also. But why this dearth of thin, elegant dress watches?
Ok, rant over. Thanks for reading.
Bjørn
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Whatever happened to thin watches?

Post by Kip »

I too would like to see some thinner watches. The C20 and C8 are the only watches under 10mm from CWL.

It looked like the trend in the industry might head toward thinner last year but that seems to be fading away. Perhaps having to do with a lessened demand for dress watches. The other problem seems to be the availability of thin movements.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
shrink
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by shrink »

http://www.piaget.com/watches/altiplano

only 5.25mm thick.. the movement itself isonly 2.35mm thick and its an auto!
Who watches the watch-men
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

I've got a Longines dress watch which is 6mm thick (according to my inacurate tape measure) and looks superb on the wrist. Of course, it's QUARTZ :lol:
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

xtriple wrote:I've got a Longines dress watch which is 6mm thick (according to my inacurate tape measure) and looks superb on the wrist. Of course, it's QUARTZ :lol:
:shock: :problem: Come on, you got to be kidding. What is the point of having electronics inside a watch case? Might as well use your mobile to tell the time. 8)
Bjørn
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

Wis wrote:
xtriple wrote:I've got a Longines dress watch which is 6mm thick (according to my inacurate tape measure) and looks superb on the wrist. Of course, it's QUARTZ :lol:
:shock: :problem: Come on, you got to be kidding. What is the point of having electronics inside a watch case? Might as well use your mobile to tell the time. 8)
Heathen :lol:
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Kip wrote:
It looked like the trend in the industry might head toward thinner last year but that seems to be fading away. Perhaps having to do with a lessened demand for dress watches. The other problem seems to be the availability of thin movements.
I believe there is a market for thin, classic dress watches, but nobody fills that niche it seems. Probably the availability, or lack thereof, of thin movements is part of the answer.
Bjørn
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Wis wrote:I believe there is a market for thin, classic dress watches, but nobody fills that niche it seems. Probably the availability, or lack thereof, of thin movements is part of the answer.
Let's hope Mr. W is listening! :mod:
Bjorn, the Tangente is only 6.6mm and it costs many times less than the Altiplano! :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Zenith have the Captain range at 8.1mm and the Ultra Thin at 7.6mm. Both automatics.

http://www.zenith-watches.com/en/#/collection/flow/4/15

http://www.zenith-watches.com/en/#/collection/flow/7/16

I thought thin watches were cool years ago. Now they look passe. If I see someone wearing a really thin watch it looks like it was painted on rather than be a real watch.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

ianblyth wrote: I thought thin watches were cool years ago. Now they look passe. If I see someone wearing a really thin watch it looks like it was painted on rather than be a real watch.
Whilst I totally respect your opinion and your superb taste and collection, Ian, I can't agree with you there. My thinnest watches (Nomos and vintage Enicar) are among my very favourites.
Good job we don't all think the same! 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Wis wrote:I believe there is a market for thin, classic dress watches, but nobody fills that niche it seems. Probably the availability, or lack thereof, of thin movements is part of the answer.
Let's hope Mr. W is listening! :mod:
Bjorn, the Tangente is only 6.6mm and it costs many times less than the Altiplano! :D
Yes, but it doesn't quite tick all my boxes - for the moment. Perhaps later it will. That's been known to happen! :)
Bjørn
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

ianblyth wrote:Zenith have the Captain range at 8.1mm and the Ultra Thin at 7.6mm. Both automatics.

http://www.zenith-watches.com/en/#/collection/flow/4/15

http://www.zenith-watches.com/en/#/collection/flow/7/16

I thought thin watches were cool years ago. Now they look passe. If I see someone wearing a really thin watch it looks like it was painted on rather than be a real watch.
These Zeniths certainly are the business. Thanks for reminding me. For me they are the perfect height, depth, what ever you call it. Thinner than that and in some cases I can understand you point, but it depends on the overall design. Some very thin watches simply look gorgeous.
I like chunky watches also. I just don't think all watches need be chunky.
Bjørn
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

I imagine thin watches are a casualty of the fashion for larger watches - a 43mm watch 6mm thick would just bend (maybe not :) ) and look wrong.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Loddonite wrote:I imagine thin watches are a casualty of the fashion for larger watches - a 43mm watch 6mm thick would just bend (maybe not :) ) and look wrong.
I think you're absolutely right. Of course, no dress watch should ever be more than at most 39mm. :lol:
Bjørn
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Ryan Gosling wore a thin watch in Drive therefore thin = 8)

I miss all the great things that may never be.