Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

My new 7750 chronograph

Post by androo »

As some may have seen in the "Non CW of the day" thread I have a new watch :D
I have made a watch in the past using a seagul - unitas clone, I needed to change a few bits within the movement to take away the small seconds. This is the result -

Soooo I thought why not make a chronograph using a valjoux 7750?
Well the story started when conversing via this forum with Lorne from OFFSHORE Professional Classic Chronographs Ltd. He mentioned he had a few test cases available to sell. So thought I would give it a go. Lorne VERY kindly gave me a case for free. It is a really nice bit of work. I love the pushers.

It is 44mm case. 47mm including crown. 14.8mm depth. 22(ish)mm between the lugs. Sapphire crystal

I got a a pretty 7750 movement with blue screws and swirly bits FROM HERE I also got a black day and date wheel. Could of had the seller fit them but thought nah how hard could it be?

I did get a very nice carbon dial but it had a tachy on it. thought i might be able bodge it a bit but then thought i would be safe and got another and a set of hands From this seller

So with all the needed bits I set about to make my watch.

I changed the day and date wheel bit difficult but I did find something on the net that gave a step by step guide (can't find now) put the dial on and the day wheel slipped. Re did it - same promblem. Third attempt thought I got it. Went to put the hands on big hands where no problem but the little ones were a ****. eventually got them on but had jammed the movemnet. and the day wheel slipped again. So took the hands off and the movemnet strated. I just don't have the hand eye coordination to put the little hands on. Also didn't want to f**k it up beyond repair.

This was the point I now went to plan B - trying to find someone to do it for me. No watchmaker I contacted would do it.
So I looked through past threads on here and found this one. I contacted Paul who was a bit hesitant. I begged and still not to sure so after pleading he agreed to do the build for me. (the money I gave him may of helped a bit). I sent the bits of and Paul set to work straight away. Updated me with pics along the way. Apparantly someone had bodged the date wheel spring thing thats why the day wheel slips :oops: Anyway a short while later and it was back with me.

I have added a nice black Fluco Shell Cordovan strap and it has been sat on my wrist since sunday. Very happy with it :D

I don't mind the wonky day wheel as it reminds me to leave things alone and if someone offeres to change it for an extra £7 say yes and pay the money. It does look ok at 3 and quater past the hour.

Would of liked the sub dials not to cut through the 6, 9 and 12 but as I needed a large dial I was a bit limited to choice

I would like to thank Lorne for the case and Paul for doing the build. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Still want to keep making watches but chronographs are now a no no so looking to have a go with a ETA 2824-2 or similar
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: My new 7750 chronograph

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Well done - you have something quite unique, and it must feel very satisfying - enjoy! :clap: :clap:

I really like the look of the California dial on your original one! :thumbup:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Post by xtriple »

Well done to you and a big :thumbup: to Lorne for the case. Watch looks great and I've heard before that 7750's can be tricky to work on (don't Rolex get the watchmakers to service a 7750 as a final test? If they can do one of those they can do anything!) but overall, it looks terrific.
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by androo »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: I really like the look of the California dial on your original one! :thumbup:
It looks prettier at night
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

That is LOVELY!!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer

Post by downer »

Nice one Andrew, a great achievement. Credit also to Lorne for the case. Top bloke!

This is something I would like to try one day, although I don't have too much faith in my eyesight/sausage fingers when working on tiny stuff. Maybe, one day. :)
Richard
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

NICE ONE BUDDY... bring it to the next GTG
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Like the texture on the pushers, crown and around the bezel.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Leo David »

Congratulations. I think it is a fantastic achievement. Very well done indeed. I'm afraid that I would have had bits everywhere and what a very nice gesture of Lorne's to give you a case. Top man for doing that.
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by androo »

ianblyth wrote:Like the texture on the pushers, crown and around the bezel.
That would be the knurling

Woohoo 22 years later and finaly I can show I learnt something with my grade E GCSE in metal work :D
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by androo »

Leo David wrote:Congratulations. I think it is a fantastic achievement. Very well done indeed. I'm afraid that I would have had bits everywhere.
It was nothing really... no, actually nothing
Indeed, thats why I employed uldalembk (Paul) to do all the hard work and loosing of bits.
Piece of **** for me :D
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Leo David »

androo wrote:
Leo David wrote:Congratulations. I think it is a fantastic achievement. Very well done indeed. I'm afraid that I would have had bits everywhere.
It was nothing really... no, actually nothing
Indeed, thats why I employed uldalembk (Paul) to do all the hard work and loosing of bits.
Piece of **** for me :D
Well you had a go and that is more than i would have dared so the congrats are still in order and you have a one-off time piece to boot which is very 8)
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by androo »

It is nice to have a unique watch on your wrist. I think everyone should have a go. You need basic tools and some can even be "improvised" easily. for about £100 (using a seagull movement) you can have a one of a kind watch. And it keeps one off the streets for an afternoon.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Lovely watch you have made Androo, not the biggest fan of the dial but its agreeable, i've fallen in love with this little fella from the website you linked above:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRONOGRAPHE- ... 53eac109ff

Seems a bit expensive for a unknown vintage brand though.

EDIT: Landeron seem to be the e-bays own brand, a bit like Kemmners ....just as nice IMO - i think i might buy this case design and give it a go :)
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Looks terrific. A job well done and a wealth of experience gathered. 8)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.