A place to discuss other watch-brands
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Affordable Quartz Dress Watch

Post by robert75 »

Chaps and Chapesses. I bit of advice if you would. I am thinking of buying a new quartz dress watch after the sale of my Tissot classic dream one. One of the main reasosn it went up for sale is the gold baton hands so anything with gold on its a no no. I have been looking around at every brand out there and I really am stuck for what to buy.

Any advice would be most appreciated. (The CW Quartz that are currently going on ebay is probably the front runner at the moment but any other advice would be great)
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: Affordable Quartz Dress Watch

Post by ianblyth »

Brand new C5 quartz for £165. No gold bits. :D
http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/dr ... q-swt.html

The C2/C20 range makes a good dress watch and there have been a couple on sales corner as well as eBay.

The C3 also makes a nice dress watch even though it is a chrono. £215 for black or cream.
http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/dress/c3-1.html

It all depends on how you define dress as I would be comfortable wearing my C60 auto black as a dress watch.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

Good call but I already have a C5 pilot style watch and for me the case is a bit thick for a "Dress watch" I was seriously thinking of getting the Malvin C5 auto last year but got the other instead.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Just wondering why it has to be quartz? The reason I mention this is that there are many really nice steel-case watches on the vintage sites that can be had reasonably cheaply; they tend to be smallish and pretty slim and make ideal dress watches when polished up and on a nice leather strap.

Here's a nice little '60s Enicar I found last summer:

Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

I guess a quartz because I will not be wearing it all the time and dont want to either keep it on a watch winder or have it stopped dead for days on end. I would also like something I can bring out and put on rather than have all the time of setting time, date etc.....

I suppose a mechanical would be an option. I mentioned the Tissot because size wise its perfect. I had given vintage watches some consideration but most are 36 or 38 mm which can be a problem if the watch is quite thin. Its for this reason I had to take Skagen off the list.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

C3 is a good choice for me, as this is the other brands section what about a Zeppelin....

http://www.watchshop.com/Zeppelin-Watch ... tAod7m6MKQ

or a LIP with a bit of heritage and history behind its design?

Both quartz re-editions - top worn by Charles de Gaulle, bottom = LIP Himilaya, worn on a famous mountaineering expedition.

http://twistedtime.com/watch-brands/lip ... hrome.html

Avo's vintage route is a very good way to go though: you can pick up some Gems for very little:

Bulova Accuquartz for £15 (50 quid extra to get the tuning fork movement serviced and worrking)
Or the Omega for the same price as a C5 quartz (but i got lucky on that one 8) )
I miss all the great things that may never be.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

That Lip with the sub second is a very good call. A Bulova for £15???? Believe it or not I actually have an Omega almost identical to yours with a black dial and gold hands I am about to send off for a service and then sale (Same reason as the Tissot, gold hands!) Like the look of that Omega you have a lot that is definately a consideration. I will keep a look out for one of them.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

robert75 wrote:That Lip with the sub second is a very good call. A Bulova for £15???? Believe it or not I actually have an Omega almost identical to yours with a black dial and gold hands I am about to send off for a service and then sale (Same reason as the Tissot, gold hands!) Like the look of that Omega you have a lot that is definately a consideration. I will keep a look out for one of them.
Bulova was just an old watch head at a boot sale, didnt have major scratches so i took a chance on it. I reallly like the look of the Lip Heritage lines, looks wise they are spot, price wise around £115- 130ish i think.
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

What movements do Lip watches have? I have read a little history on them and they seem to have been almost entirely in house but in todays market I would guess at least some parts are outsorced. Is it Swiss quartz or Chinese?
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Prob Japanese...Miyota perhaps?....not sure.
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

A new unused C2 quartz has now gone unsold for 2 sessions on ebay @ £145.
If it gets relisted again at the same price if might be worth e-mailing the guy with a lower offer to see what can be done. If he is sensible then a BIN price of about £120 should see it sell which is closer to what the last ones went for.
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

Hi Robert75
robert75 wrote:Believe it or not I actually have an Omega almost identical to yours with a black dial and gold hands I am about to send off for a service and then sale (Same reason as the Tissot, gold hands!) Like the look of that Omega you have a lot that is definately a consideration. I will keep a look out for one of them.
Why would you NOT want a black dial Omega with gold hands as a dress watch :shock:
Graham
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

footycrazy wrote:Why would you NOT want a black dial Omega with gold hands as a dress watch :shock:
Chronic case of SWMBO, apparently. :shock: There MUST be meds available for this :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
downer

Post by downer »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
footycrazy wrote:Why would you NOT want a black dial Omega with gold hands as a dress watch :shock:
Chronic case of SWMBO, apparently. :shock: There MUST be meds available for this :lol:
Plenty of meds available to fix that....

Good grief. Who is wearing the watch? :roll:
Richard
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:

Ha Ha you bunch of gits! :lol: The reaction I have got from you lot I should be ducking from chairs being thrown at me! I am just not much into gold hands on watches. I do still wear that one though. I got it on a black leather strap but it looks good on practically any strap you care to throw on it. To be honest I really like the look of that white dial Omega Seamaster thats been posted, mine is from the same era (60s)

SWMBO????