Similar to CW

A place to discuss other watch-brands
sidders
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Re: Similar to CW

Post by sidders »

Its a fair point about warranty and service. Looking at prices though i still believe Steinhart is better value. Take the Nav B-Uhr Vintage Titanium and compare to C8. Both fantastic watches but the Steinhart is cheaper, substantially bigger and guaranteed ETA movement. The Ocean divers are also cheaper than CW equivalent
Christopher Ward C7 Chrono
Uhren von UHR - 261
Steinhart Nav B-Uhr Vintage Titanium
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Speaking of Steinys, I see they have announced the arrival of the Apollon Chrono, another 'chunky' timepiece! Although on the borderline size wise, I give the overall design a :thumbup:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

stueyman wrote:
Not shooting you down in flames old boy, but I'd say Steinhart might offer better value unless you like smaller watches and/or are female! :problem:
Care to qualify that statement?
CW C60 42mm diameter, 13mm height, 189g weight
Steinhart Ocean 1 42mm diameter, 13mm height, 190g weight.

Also the Steinhart Ocean 44 comes in at a feminine 44mm, as does their aviation model. Not exactly smaller, nor
more feminine.
If Steinhart do a 38mm watch or a specifically ladies' range, then I apologise and unreservedly withdraw my statement...I can't SEE any, but I might be wrong! :?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
highway62

Post by highway62 »

You're not, so don't! :D
leoo
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by leoo »

My first "real" watch i should say is going to be a CW, but i wanted to research other brands and know what to look for and compare to. Apparently the Omega Sea Master is the watch to get eventually? Any other watch, i may not be familiar with, that is the "Dream" watch of watch snobs. And i mean snobs in a good way :D
highway62

Post by highway62 »

My two would be

Omega Planet Ocean and IWC big pilot. Oh hang on, Blancpain 50 faths, ummm...Glashutte Original, ahhh, Schauer...A.Lange & Sohne.....etc

see that's not an easy question!! :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

We all have our "Grail Watches", I guess. My ultimate would probably be a Jaeger-Lecoultre Reverso / Grande Reverso in some form.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
leoo
Senior
Senior

Post by leoo »

highway62 wrote:My two would be

Omega Planet Ocean and IWC big pilot. Oh hang on, Blancpain 50 faths, ummm...Glashutte Original, ahhh, Schauer...A.Lange & Sohne.....etc

see that's not an easy question!! :lol:
I was looking at IWC today, beautiful. I would like to own one of them one day.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by alphajet »

I often spend an hour or two drooling over the latest watches on TimeZone, click on News and Features on the top bar and then on Industry News, all the latest watches will be shown here with lots of nice pictures, I know all the old hands will be familiar with this resource but maybe not the newby's. :D

http://www.timezone.com/
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
leoo
Senior
Senior

Post by leoo »

alphajet wrote:I often spend an hour or two drooling over the latest watches on TimeZone, click on News and Features on the top bar and then on Industry News, all the latest watches will be shown here with lots of nice pictures, I know all the old hands will be familiar with this resource but maybe not the newby's. :D

http://www.timezone.com/
Oh wow. Those are nice. But no prices. :( . But if i have to ask, its probably out of my price range. :lol:
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by redd »

castle wrote:
sidders wrote:With the risk of being shot down in flames, i think Steinhart offer slightly better value for money than CW. Thats not a knock on CW as they do offer great bang for your buck.
Tempted to agree, although you also need to take CW's 60/60 guarantee and customer service into the equation.
I can only think of Steinhart as truely comparable to CWL.

Accepting CWL's unique return/warranty and the excellent addition of the service program, I prefer Steinhart designs. Other than personal tastes I think CWL's biggest weakness (in a very short list) is in the attention to design details on some of their watches e.g. smily face C70, too small date window C90 and a list on the C60. Things that (for me) ruin otherwise 'excellent' designs.

Having said all that I currently own 1 CWL and 0 Steinharts, but have a wish list of 1 CWL and 4+ Steinhart's.
Tony

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

redd wrote:
castle wrote:
sidders wrote:With the risk of being shot down in flames, i think Steinhart offer slightly better value for money than CW. Thats not a knock on CW as they do offer great bang for your buck.
Tempted to agree, although you also need to take CW's 60/60 guarantee and customer service into the equation.
I can only think of Steinhart as truely comparable to CWL.

Accepting CWL's unique return/warranty and the excellent addition of the service program, I prefer Steinhart designs. Other than personal tastes I think CWL's biggest weakness (in a very short list) is in the attention to design details on some of their watches e.g. smily face C70, too small date window C90 and a list on the C60. Things that (for me) ruin otherwise 'excellent' designs.

Having said all that I currently own 1 CWL and 0 Steinharts, but have a wish list of 1 CWL and 4+ Steinhart's.
One other thing about CWL that strikes me is that it seems to have a rather long line up of designs at any one given moment. It seems like other comparable shops don't have nearly the same number of models (and variations) that CWL has. Granted, Steinhart and the like, do not have women's ranges, so numbers are a little artificial for our purposes.

One has to wonder if CWL would be better served to concentrate a little bit more on quality and less on quantity, but I suspect that, in the end, this probably won't matter much. Something tells me that all those little design issues that redd mentions would still be there.
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?