Why Timex are the best watch in the world……

A place to discuss other watch-brands
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Why Timex are the best watch in the world……

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

When I was a boy (a long time ago but not THAT long ago), my first watch was a manual wind Timex (early to mid 70s?). Because it had luminous hands you could hide under the bedclothes or cup you hands around the dial and see it glow in the dark! A wonderment never surpassed and only barely matched by the miracle of a red LED display on an early digital watch! The Timex had to be wound daily or if it had stopped. This was not a chore but a delight because as you wound you could hear and feel its heart start beating, which was both reassuring and greatly satisfying.

As I got older the watch got consigned to the “bits-and-pieces” draw in the kitchen and eventually I think the back fell off and the innards spilled out and got lost in the ether. For many years I hardly wore a watch at all, then one day on holiday in the States I bought a quartz branded “Levi’s” of all things, just because it looked nice, was easy to read and just seemed to fit right. It did sterling service for some years until (for reasons that don’t bear going in to here) it became caked in ice and run over by the car! It didn’t work after that.

So, in search of a new watch I did a bit of research and became more interested and intrigued about what made a “good” watch. The Swiss, it seemed, still made the best movements / watches but, for someone who had never spent more than twenty quid on a watch, they also seemed a bit expensive. Especially when my cheapo “Levi’s” job had told the time perfectly adequately. In the end I got a relatively inexpensive Citizen Eco-Drive Chrono, which I still have and use regularly but, as I now need glasses to read, I can’t see the numbers on the sub-dials of chronos anymore. In fact I was pretty much in need of an easy to read watch, and who should make just the thing? None other than Timex! I am wearing my £19.99 Indiglo Easy Reader right now (the Indiglo light doesn’t work anymore, but only because I dropped it down the stairs the other day. Oops!), but it tells the time OK, I think it even looks reasonably good as I like a simple clear and clean face.

Did I get my Swiss watch? Oh yes. I have a Mondaine, again primarily for it’s clear, easy read design and a C5 Automatic. The Mondaine was a Christmas present and the C5 represented such good value I felt able to treat myself when my son was born just over a year ago. I had the watch engraved with his name and I love the fact that, like that Timex many years before, it is a little living machine and that becomes animate through the living movement of the wearer. One day when he’s older I’ll give the C5 to my son (I’m just minding it for him at the moment :wink: ), and in a way a bit of my life-force will pass on through the watch. He can have it when he’s 18, or maybe 21, or maybe when he finally leaves home (who knows when that will be!) or maybe he’ll have to wait until I finally peg it! In any event I fully expect the C5's heart to still be beating when my boy hands it on to one of his kids.

But the first watch I am going to get him will be a Timex………..
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Why Timex are the best watch in the world……

Post by f1colin »

Wow - what a great tale and a great post! So nice to read and your son has a great piece to look forward to. Doesn't have to be a Patek Phillippe!
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by androo »

Lovely post and hope the C5 lasts long enough to hand it over to him
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

Isn't it funny how many of us are brought to CWL in the search for a watch for our sons? While my story is a little different, it bears striking similarity to yours. My first watch was a military watch given me by my favorite uncle, a Marine helicopter crew chief. It also glowed in the dark, and was a windup mechanical too. Worn until it died, and replaced by a Timex of similar design and make. I understand how you feel, and hope your son will too, one day in your future.
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

?
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

It's really hard to go wrong with a basic Timex. The 26mm Expedition Resin Case Field Watch would be a fine first watch. Most importantly, It's not digital, so he'll actually be able to tell time when his mates have no idea!
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Great anniversary post.

You should contribute here more often.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Great post! :clap:
Yes, I had a manual Timex too (mid-60s) - no idea what happened to that one, but I've started collecting manual wind watches from the '60s...must be in the blood! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

Nice story - reminds me of my Timex. When it stopped I took it into a jewellers requesting repair. The old watchmaker took one look at it and threw it into the bin."How much did you pay for it," he said. When I told him he said "I'll knock that off the price of a new Oris"! We did the deal and that was the start of it...!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

robinbarke wrote:Nice story - reminds me of my Timex. When it stopped I took it into a jewellers requesting repair. The old watchmaker took one look at it and threw it into the bin."How much did you pay for it," he said. When I told him he said "I'll knock that off the price of a new Oris"! We did the deal and that was the start of it...!

Robin
Cheeky bugger. I would have asked him to take my watch out of the bin, please, and hand it back to me. Then I would have discussed and agreed the deal and thrown my watch into his bin on the way out.
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by CornishDave »

Timex!! It takes you back it does!! How did they advert go Ticca Ticca Timex?? :D
Toffeeggs
Expert
Expert

Post by Toffeeggs »

Nice one. As you can from the picture below my grandfather some fity years ago handed me my first Swiss Made, Anti Magnectic, Shock Absorber watch. The size of it is 24mm and just ideal for a lad of eleven. i was thrilled to bits and have kept it ever since. I just have had to have a replacement glass for it and that was one hell of a job to get. The watch is still in working order with a sweeping second.
Trouble is that I have no one to hand it down to. :([IMG]http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... to0065.jpg
C40 Speedhawk
C60 Trident GMT
C7 Rapide Blue face
Trident 600 white dial/bracelet
C7 Rosso Corsa COSC Limited Edition
C1000Typhoon Fgr4 - Cockpit Edition
C7 Rapide Auto Red/Black
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Here it is.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Toffeeggs
Expert
Expert

Post by Toffeeggs »

Cheers Ian I always have problems with uploading photos. Cheers Mate
C40 Speedhawk
C60 Trident GMT
C7 Rapide Blue face
Trident 600 white dial/bracelet
C7 Rosso Corsa COSC Limited Edition
C1000Typhoon Fgr4 - Cockpit Edition
C7 Rapide Auto Red/Black
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

jmarchitect wrote:
robinbarke wrote:Nice story - reminds me of my Timex. When it stopped I took it into a jewellers requesting repair. The old watchmaker took one look at it and threw it into the bin."How much did you pay for it," he said. When I told him he said "I'll knock that off the price of a new Oris"! We did the deal and that was the start of it...!

Robin
Cheeky bugger. I would have asked him to take my watch out of the bin, please, and hand it back to me. Then I would have discussed and agreed the deal and thrown my watch into his bin on the way out.
I was only 17 at the time but I do remember thinking it was a bit high handed. I wonder how I would react now if the man selling A Lange & Sohne did it with a CW!!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com