C60 Trident Automatic or C60 GMT - please help?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
King_Corsica
CW-watches: 1

C60 Trident Automatic or C60 GMT - please help?

Post by King_Corsica »

Hello all,

I'm not very educated on watches and trying to purchase my first decent watch, in terms of affordability and good value for money, Christoper Ward watches certainly seem to be the way forward.

I'm an avid diver and was aiming towards the "diver" section, one that really caught my eye was the C60 (with steel bracelet & black bezel) which I found to be very attractive, in my opinion it resembles the Explorer II by Rolex which happens to be my dream watch.

My question is, which watch should I choose, the C60 Trident Auto or C60 Trident auto GMT. From the research I've done I'm not entirely sure I need such features as GMT, is this the only difference out of the two and what would I benefit spending the extra £185?

Any detailed explanations would be hugely appreciated?!

Thank you all... :D
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Re: C60 Trident Automatic or C60 GMT - please help?

Post by ianblyth »

Both are automatics but the C50 Trident Auto uses either the ETA 2824-2 or Sellita SW200-1. Both are virtually the same in most respects. The C60 Trident GMT uses the ETA 2893-2 movement. The different being that it has a 4th hand so you set a different time zone plus you can rotate the bezel to give you a third time zone. But as the bezel is only 60 clicks it will not do some time zones. That would need a 120 click bezel. So the extra money gives an extra complication. But if you don't need multiple time zones then the C60 Auto is better.

The Auto is black with an option for a charcoal or Khaki bezel. The GMT has many colour options.

If you are going for the bracelet make sure you get the new bracelet that has just been released. Much better.

Here is my C60 on the older style C6 bracelet which is bead blasted so does not look that good to me which is why I have it in leather. :D
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A warm welcome to the forum. I know nowt about divers but there are loads of enthusiasts who do (like Ian). Good luck with your choice. 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
King_Corsica

Post by King_Corsica »

Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for replying so promtly :D

It seems I probably won't have the use for GMT as I won't want the time anywhere else and more than happy adjusting manually if I have to. When they mention "Auto" does this mean the watch is powered from movement in the wrist?

Also are you suggesting that there is a brand new bracelet out? The one I am considering getting is this one:

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/di ... i-sks.html

Is this the newer style bracelet?

Thanks again.

Warm Regards,
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Welcome to "The Asylum"!

Yes that is the new bracelet that you linked to. What that photo doesn't show very well is that the center links are polished.

These photos may show it better.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
King_Corsica

Post by King_Corsica »

WOW :O - definitely getting that! Such a beautiful looking watch for the money :D

Anymore posts welcome, the more information and suggestions the better :)

Thank you guys!
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

One of the pictures is the new style bracelet and one of them is the old style. :shock: Don't worry after a while you get used to the idiosyncratic nature of the CWL web site. :lol:

If you are ordering by phone you can check when you order. As a forum member you can check with Wera (head of customer services) using Wizziethewiz@christopherward.co.uk which gets preferential treatment.

Auto means it is an automatic so it is powered by your movement and when not worn it will keep running for 40 to 42 hours. No batteries are involved. The C60 does not have an exhibition back but if it did it would look something like this.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
King_Corsica

Post by King_Corsica »

Thank you for the information - I will certainly keep you guys updated on my purchase and post some pics - I can't wait... :D

Ohhhh yessss!!!!
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Welcome to the forum King Corsica! I have a Trident Pro and it was my first CW watch. It is excellent and I can thoroughly recommend you make it your first CW too. The bonus, as Ian and Kip have pointed out above, is that it now comes on a new bracelet, thus making now an even better time to pick one up.

Do it! You know you want to. 8)
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by castle »

Returning to your original question, if you don't require or desperately desire the GMT function, you can save yourself £185. In other respects the watches are identical- same case, same high class movement, same strap options. The GMT has a fourth hand and different bezel.
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.
domndick
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by domndick »

Remember too that the GMT bezel isn't marked as a diver in minutes - would be tricky to time a dive in the 24 hour increments on the gmt bezel... :shock: It's just a shame that there isn't an orange skko or sokko (orange markings, strap stitching, bezel combos) version of the auto...otherwise the decision would be even easier...
C40, C8 (black/blue mk1), C6, C600, C9 FLE, C90 Becketts and C8 cream mk1 all sold!
Got Junghans, Omega, Tag, Tissot, Seiko, Magrette, Laco, Hamilton, Giuliano Mazzuoli, GShock, Welder...and Tag Connected and Garmin Fenix 3....
King_Corsica

Post by King_Corsica »

Hi Chaps,

Sorry to keep going on about this but can someone explain to me the full benefit of the GMT feature and why would there be an extra cost of £185 simply for a fourth hand?

Please include as much information as you can!? :thumbup:

Thank you all, appreciate the replies so far and more pics welcome... 8)
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jmarchitect »

King_Corsica wrote:Hi Chaps,

Sorry to keep going on about this but can someone explain to me the full benefit of the GMT feature and why would there be an extra cost of £185 simply for a fourth hand?

Please include as much information as you can!? :thumbup:

Thank you all, appreciate the replies so far and more pics welcome... 8)
The full benefit of the GMT feature has already been explained by ianblyth above- it provides the ability to read the time in three different time zones, albeit not all time zones due to the 60 click bezel. The £185 additional cost doesn't just buy you a fourth hand. It buys you a fourth hand connected to a different, more complicated movement, also as explained by ianblyth.

Not sure what more can be said.
King_Corsica

Post by King_Corsica »

castle wrote:Returning to your original question, if you don't require or desperately desire the GMT function, you can save yourself £185. In other respects the watches are identical- same case, same high class movement, same strap options. The GMT has a fourth hand and different bezel.
That's fine, I just got a bit confused as this chap mentioned everything was the same apart from an added fourth hand and different bezel, but as Ian mentioned the GMT does in fact have more sophistacted components. Sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself I just want to be absolutely sure before I spend £600 on a watch, also this being my first proper timepiece!

Thanks again for your time :)
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by castle »

King_Corsica wrote:
castle wrote:Returning to your original question, if you don't require or desperately desire the GMT function, you can save yourself £185. In other respects the watches are identical- same case, same high class movement, same strap options. The GMT has a fourth hand and different bezel.
That's fine, I just got a bit confused as this chap mentioned everything was the same apart from an added fourth hand and different bezel, but as Ian mentioned the GMT does in fact have more sophistacted components. Sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself I just want to be absolutely sure before I spend £600 on a watch, also this being my first proper timepiece!

Thanks again for your time :)
Apologies, I didn't word that terribly well. What I meant was that both movements were of high quality, not that they were exactly the same. I had always assumed that the cases were identical but reading a previous post might not be the case (no pun intended!). The case dimensions are the same, so not really sure what is meant by being unable to swap bezels due to the GMT having a thicker case? Can anyone can definitively answer this one?
If you are unsure of the function of a GMT and don't think you would need it, my advice is to go for the cheaper option. It has been discussed before, but I don't understand why there is such a price differential between the standard C60 and the GMT version- other manufacturers can do a GMT version of the same watch for an extra £60, I am still not terribly sure why CW's version is £185 more.
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.