Discuss Christopher Ward watches
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

A Dilemma...

Post by eggtronics »

Hi guys,
First of all I am a long time lurker, first time poster. My love for CW watches started last summer when a friend of mine was sporting a beautiful C70 Aston Martin Green. I was unable to see what kind of watch he was wearing (which I am usually pretty good at) so I quizzed him about it. He told me about the wonders of CW and immediately I had it in my heart that I wanted one.
Sadly, half a year has passed and I still have no CW gracing my wrist. What I do have, though is a neat little collection of budget watches:

1) A handwind sterile PAM homage with SS bracelet and sapphire crystal
2) A handwind skeletonised PAM homage
3) Parnis Power Reserve Automatic (IWC Portuguese homage)
4) Citizen Promaster World Time Ana-Digi
5) Casio G-Shock DW-004

My question is this: do I sell ALL of these to fund one CW? I really want a secondhand C60 or C11 (auto). I have seen a couple C60's on here go for £200 and I think I could just about raise that from selling all of these. I am a bit fed up of owning budget watches, and I would like just ONE nice Swiss Made watch. I have no money whatsoever, and saving is a very difficult thing to do too.

So what do you wise forum masters think? What would you do if you were in my situation? Is owning one CW really worth selling all of my other watches? Am I mad?
And of course, if there are any out there who have a spare C60 knocking around... I would be willing to do a trade for the whole lot no probs :lol:
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Re: A Dilemma...

Post by I.I.D »

eggtronics wrote:So what do you wise forum masters think? What would you do if you were in my situation? Is owning one CW really worth selling all of my other watches? Am I mad?
:

Hi & welcome.

The answer is yes - homages are okay & some look nice, but you know they are just copies. There's nothing quite like the inner satisfaction you get from wearing the real deal.
Tomsolo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Tomsolo »

I.I.D wrote:
eggtronics wrote:So what do you wise forum masters think? What would you do if you were in my situation? Is owning one CW really worth selling all of my other watches? Am I mad?
:

Hi & welcome.

The answer is yes - homages are okay & some look nice, but you know they are just copies. There's nothing quite like the inner satisfaction you get from wearing the real deal.
+1 on that

I was like you...i had a few "Fashion" watches....which incedentally i just flogged on E-Bay for a very tidy price... :D

They were nice enough (D&G) but no where near the quality of a Christopher Ward and IID is spot on... you do get great satisfaction from wearing a nice watch.... so without breaking the bank...go for it... :jg:
highway62

Post by highway62 »

I would hang on to the G-Shock ! :D
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by eggtronics »

Wise words from some people who have been in my position. Thanks for the help! The picture is fixed now-stupid dropbox!

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Jape »

CW is defo worth the rest. But, as Highway said, hang on to the G-Shock.
C7 Rapide C11 Auto C600 Tri-Tech C2 Lido C40 Speedhawk C60 600 Sinn 857 Sinn 103St Sinn U1 Omega Seamaster Pro 300
Wants are many but funds scarce.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

H is right

Apart from that, flog the rest.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
downer

Post by downer »

The G would be the first to go! Then the rest.

I'm sure you will have enough for a nice CW. Good luck with the sales.
Richard
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by eggtronics »

Thanks guys! How come the g-shock is getting so much love? I got it about 10 years ago as a gift! If anyone is interested in any of them, shoot me a PM. Ill be putting them on ebay or something this week, maybe even on this forum!

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by scooter »

eggtronics wrote:How come the g-shock is getting so much love? I got it about 10 years ago as a gift!
Whilst I detest quartz watches with a vengeance I have to acknowledge that a lot of people speak highly of G Shocks. I concede they could be useful when mountain biking or for other hardy pursuits.

As I am at an age where I wouldn't be found on a mountain bike or on the Piste, I personally don't require a G Shock let alone any other form of non mechanical watch :wink:

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Hi and welcome! I'm with the others here, especially Scooter's analysis. I did a major hiking expedition last year and didn't want to damage "quality" watches, so I resurrected an old Casio and it did me proud!
You will get enormous pleasure from owning even one really good watch, and you'll still have a serviceable backup piece. Good luck! 8)
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by Aifo »

Sell all to buy a CW is a no brainer, you would regret not to as I believe either c11 or 60 would glue to your wrist once it arrives and u would hesitate to take it off going to bed. As to keeping the G, it's understandable that Everyman needs a all terrace bullet proof beater and G serves that purpose but I would keep ur promaster instead, and that's an awesome band you've put it on btw, well done!
Incoming: 0
julywest
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by julywest »

Agree with others. Better places to sell watches than ebay tho.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Yup.....I am in the sell them camp. You will appreciate the difference. :)

Then you get your meds and treatments and you will have that box full again in no time.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by eggtronics »

Thanks for all your responses. I definitely think you have all convinced me to sell and get a CW! Can't wait to get one.
Better places to sell watches than ebay tho.
Like where may I ask?

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop