Sterile Panerai homage's - ETA 6497

A place to discuss other watch-brands
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Sterile Panerai homage's - ETA 6497

Post by f1colin »

Finally taken some pics. These are particular favourites of mine as they were the result of a lot of shopping around over a period of time. After liking the offerings from "Helenarou" but not wanting any Marina Militare markings and certainly not wanting a replica Panerai branded piece, these were acquired on the 'bay several years ago just before ETA movements spiralled in price. Both have the 6497 movements and are incredibly well constructed - all strap screws (no spring bars here) are beautifully engineered and everything retro fits to an original Luminor.

The seller claimed these were military grade cases from the Op supply. I have liberally dosed more than a pinch of salt on that one, but the movements are original incabloc 6497's, the sandwich dials are soooo classy and faultless. My only gripe (non overly fussed) is the weak lume on the numerals and I have never tested the water resistance.

The cam on the crown lock is a great piece of engineering - would love to see this type of feature on a CW - 9 o'clock position for a leftie.... I couldn't decide on SS or black shiny PVD (almost ceramic in look) so went for both. whilst both are currently on brown straps (one nubuck camel / white stitch and the other croc grain), changing these gives them a whole new character. My "stock" includes various leather colours and textures as well as an original OP rubber with deployment....

So, the PVD with a Jordan 1999 F1 steering wheel from Damon Hill

one of the ETA 6497 movements:

The s/s with a very special early Jordan F1 wheel:

Over and out for now!!! :thumbup: :yawn: :silent:
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Sterile Panerai homage's - ETA 6497

Post by Tooks »

I've owned a couple of Marina Militare marked PAM watches, and although I was impressed with the build quality, I was never comfortable with the copyright infringements re the dials, and I honestly didn't know those words were protected until after I'd acquired them!

These sterile dial ones appear to have no such copyright issues, although I understand that the crown lock mechanism is protected under a patent, presumably why all Panerai's with such a device are marked as such.

Nice looking watches though! :)
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
redd
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by redd »

f1colin wrote:

I'll guess Michael Schumacher's first F1 GP?
Tony

It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by f1colin »

redd wrote:
f1colin wrote:

I'll guess Michael Schumacher's first F1 GP?

Yep, first ever F1 test at Silverstone on the South Circuit and the quali / few race laps at Spa. Bought it direct from the factory and it has a great letter from EJ with the background Was the subject of a wine fuelled discussion over dinner with him in Budapest this year as he has the rest of that car and wants it back!!! :lol:
f1colin

Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

I had the same reservations about the Marina Militare, but a couple of hours of swearing and sweating solved my problem.
The sterile dial , tools and a new strap cost about the same as the watch.
The movement is a 6497 clone (Hangzou 900?) - it's a good 'un.

... and don't give anything back to Eddie till he gives up those TW Steel monstrosities :lol: :lol:
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Very tidy. I have gazed longingly at pieces just like these but have never plucked up the courage to buy one. There is a rose gold one over on TZUK calling my name. It has been clearly too long since I bought a watch!
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by f1colin »

Loddonite wrote:I had the same reservations about the Marina Militare, but a couple of hours of swearing and sweating solved my problem.

... and don't give anything back to Eddie till he gives up those TW Steel monstrosities :lol: :lol:
Indeed - the wheel is staying put. With you on the TW, although his personal one off piece is quite nice (gun metal finish). Has a very agreeable Hublot as well... typically for EJ, I gather it was a zero cost option! :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:
f1colin

Seiko Pogue