A short C9 GMT review and giveaway

Documentation and CW-related information
mac2011
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Re: A short C9 GMT review and giveaway

Post by mac2011 »

Thanks for the warm welcome, opinions and ideas. Still 7 chances to finish the sentence to bag the free strap! I'll pick a winner this Friday in any case and get it posted.

I'm glad opinion differs on the Toshi - I think it looks cool, but I'm a bit of a strap junkie, so imagine it'll be sporting something new in a few weeks. It's depressing that 99% of watches sit on the same old strap their whole lives, but I guess 99% of people don't care as much as us.

As for the hands - I'm half considering switching them, but need to find a suitable replacement.

And I'm sure it won't be my last CW watch - The 38mm COSC Auto concept in another thread looks quite tasty.

cheers,
Mac 8)
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

Thanks for the review, a good read.
I'm still contemplating the standard non-GMT C9 as a day to evening wear watch. It would appear good value against my other thought which was an Oris.

On the strap...
"Deployant clasps on straps with a fixed keeper aren't stupid because..."...it's a lazy way to put on a leather strap, life's too short for messing with too many buckles.

TTFN, Alex
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

"Deployant clasps on straps with a fixed keeper aren't stupid because..."... Christopher Ward says so.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

"Deployant clasps on straps with a fixed keeper aren't stupid because..."... the clasp saves wear and tear on the leather making it last longer and look better and the strap goes through the keeper if it isn't too floppy or hard. 8)

Personally I now buy a deployment/butterfly clasp for any watch with a tang buckle. Makers prefer tang buckles because they wear the leather faster and you have to buy more. :(
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
RustyinRochester
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by RustyinRochester »

One of the competitive advantages to a CWL watch on a strap is that they come with deployant clasps. As Ian and other have pointed out, it is a strap saver to be sure. But I think it give the CWL product a touch of clasp, er, I mean "CLASS." 8)
"In comic strips, the person on the left always speaks first."
-George Carlin
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by st-rider »

RustyinRochester wrote:One of the competitive advantages to a CWL watch on a strap is that they come with deployant clasps. As Ian and other have pointed out, it is a strap saver to be sure. But I think it give the CWL product a touch of clasp, er, I mean "CLASS." 8)

"Deployant clasps on straps with a fixed keeper aren't stupid because..."... it give the product a touch of class
Fixed for you :D 8)
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
mac2011
Junior
Junior

Post by mac2011 »

Thanks again for the welcome and the comments. Am still enjoying the C9, although I was sorely tempted by the Tri-tech elite in the sale preview. However, I've resolved to actually learn to dive before buying another dive watch :shock:

And the CW strap goes to....

jmarchitect wrote:Excellent review and great photos of a lovely piece- thanks for posting. 8)

I am sure you don't really need me to finish the sentence "Deployment clasps on straps with a fixed keeper aren't stupid because..." you already know the answer. It is clearly "... they add a frisson of mild frustration to an otherwise boring existence and serve to illustrate our superior dexterity over that of our simian cousins, notwithstanding the fact that some of us may not have evolved as far as others."

Enjoy the C9. 8)
c'mon - anyone who uses the words frisson and simian in the same sentence deserves it! Have PM'd.
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Hurrah! Thoroughly enjoyable little game. Many thanks to Mac for starting it off. 8)
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

mac2011 wrote:Greetings! I've been lurking for a while, but a few weeks ago I finally caved and bought a C9 GMT (SST). Poking around the forums, I didn't notice a lot of love for this model (and I had my own doubts that stopped me buying it a while back), so as I've lived with it for nearly a month, I thought a short review might redress the balance.
Great review and excellent pics. I'm curious as to why there's not "a lot of love for this model"? Is it the design? GMT feature?

I'm pretty set on getting one, but I'd be concerned if this model was considered a lemon :shock:
Current contents of watch box:
Lüm-Tec M27 GMT, Lüm-Tec B3, Lüm-Tec M18, Lüm-Tec V7
Magrette Regattare 2011, Magrette Regattare Bronze, Laguna Halios, Christopher Ward C9 GMT
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Timbo wrote:
mac2011 wrote:Greetings! I've been lurking for a while, but a few weeks ago I finally caved and bought a C9 GMT (SST). Poking around the forums, I didn't notice a lot of love for this model (and I had my own doubts that stopped me buying it a while back), so as I've lived with it for nearly a month, I thought a short review might redress the balance.
Great review and excellent pics. I'm curious as to why there's not "a lot of love for this model"? Is it the design? GMT feature?

I'm pretty set on getting one, but I'd be concerned if this model was considered a lemon :shock:
The model is not considered a lemon and is selling quite well thank you.

Whatyou have read in the above review ( a very good one I might add) is the opinion of the OP. Many disagree regarding the pros and cons he has listed. That is what makes this such a great place. Not everyone likes all the same things. Personlly I have no issues with deployants and actually prefer them.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
mac2011
Junior
Junior

Post by mac2011 »

I certainly did not mean to imply it was a lemon - far from it! My comment about 'not a lot of love' merely referred to my perception that I had seen less discussion about this than other CW watches. In hindsight, this could have been due to it being a newer watch, one of CW's slightly more expensive offerings etc.

I always try to be as balanced as possible in my reviews, although I'm an academic - we're trained to criticise!

For me, it wasn't love at first sight from the website pics, but one thing (the only thing?!) I think everyone here agrees on is that the watches look even better in the flesh. I have a modest collection, including some big names like Tag Heuer & Omega, so I feel I know what quality is, and I still find myself being drawn to the C9 GMT - it's just such a well executed piece.
Jimleymurmer
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 22

Post by Jimleymurmer »

Just joined forum today and posted review on c9 albeit less detailed than yours. Agree with every pro&con though. Will now look to add Toshi strap (was considering this anyway)
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by f1colin »

Having got a C9 this week, I think the main issue is the length of the strap - too long!
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue