Altus strap problems

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mintsalad
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Altus strap problems

Post by Mintsalad »

Anyone else had the fixed 'keeper' come away from the strap? My problem is that the loose keeper never stays holding the end of the strap so it flaps, and now has broken the fixed one. Not great for 4 months old. Wera has not offered a replacement strap yet but a new loose keeper which is pointless. Looking at the site, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee or warranty for the straps which is odd.. am I missing something? Nice watch apart for that though.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Re: Altus strap problems

Post by downer »

It's not happened on any of my CW straps, which seem to be great quality for the price.

Must be the way you wear it.
Richard
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

No issues here either...wearing it today. :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I have never had that but then I have so many watches with half of them on bracelets the leather straps don't get subjected to a great deal of wear.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

Irritating when this happens - I lost the loose keeper on a strap that I thought was great - and suddenly the whole thing is useless.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by f1colin »

Loddonite wrote:Irritating when this happens - I lost the loose keeper on a strap that I thought was great - and suddenly the whole thing is useless.

I tend to have the opposite problem - the loose keeper is gernerally useless as it either stays next to the fixed one if it behaves, or moves around to the lugs. Therefore, they tend to get removed asap, but I have got big wrists so thankfully don't end up with a "flappy strappy"!
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

f1colin wrote:
Loddonite wrote:Irritating when this happens - I lost the loose keeper on a strap that I thought was great - and suddenly the whole thing is useless.

I tend to have the opposite problem - the loose keeper is gernerally useless as it either stays next to the fixed one if it behaves, or moves around to the lugs. Therefore, they tend to get removed asap, but I have got big wrists so thankfully don't end up with a "flappy strappy"!
Perhaps you could send me your spares... :D
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by f1colin »

Loddonite wrote:
f1colin wrote:

Perhaps you could send me your spares... :D

I'll have to keep them first as its normally a scalpel and off(sacrilege)! What size / colour do you need as I do have the following in my box although the last 3 are from straps for me Panerai (24/22):

pale blue ostrich to fit 20mm end
black to fit 22mm end
mid / light tan croc x2 for 22mm end
camel nubuck to suit 22mm end

If they are of use you are welcome to them!
f1colin

Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

f1colin wrote:

You could always try sowing the loose keeper to the strap in the position that's right for you. Why does it have to be loose? So anyone can wear it and use it? But who cares about anyone wearing your watch? You don't and that's why sowing it in a permanent position makes sense. Take it to a Seamtrist.
alphajet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by alphajet »

I think it depends how offen a strap is worn, I have well over 30 watches now so most of my straps look like new. :D
I bought a C5 Aviator for the wife in last Junuary's NN sale, had to put a new strap on it after about 8 months as it had rotted almost through from the inside out and the loose end was all dog eared, she wears it nearly all the time doing house work etc it is well scratched and battered, I would never treat any of my watches like that. :?
No more Quartz (except when I cannot resist).
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Russ-Shettle »

If you look at most of your straps loose keepers, it might have one or two at the most stiches holding it together. You can always improve on inadequate stiching. Summon your wives..... :lol:
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by f1colin »

Russ-Shettle wrote:If you look at most of your straps loose keepers, it might have one or two at the most stiches holding it together. You can always improve on inadequate stiching. Summon your wives..... :lol:

Ouch... Mrs B not happy with that one!
f1colin

Seiko Pogue
stumpbass
Senior
Senior

Post by stumpbass »

Russ-Shettle wrote: You could always try sowing the loose keeper to the strap in the position that's right for you. Why does it have to be loose? So anyone can wear it and use it? But who cares about anyone wearing your watch? You don't and that's why sowing it in a permanent position makes sense. Take it to a Seamtrist.
I've used super glue to fulfill this mission on three different straps. Works great.
C5 Cream Auto
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Keepers are very difficult to acquire seperately. If you don't use them and remove them...keep them. Someone will need one eventually. :)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Kip wrote:Keepers are very difficult to acquire seperately. If you don't use them and remove them...keep them. Someone will need one eventually. :)
That's why they are called Keepers. :)
Richard