A place to discuss other watch-brands
Typhoon
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Ray Wongs BUND Homage

Post by Typhoon »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience of the heuer bund 'Homage' on the Bay? I've been eyeing it up but I cant be sure that it is great value @ £284 for the Seagull mvmt. Is anyone able to post some pictures? It seems others around the net have had a good experience with them.
Christopher Ward:
C4 RCAF, C5 Aviator

Other:
Breitling Top Time, Raketa Glasnost, MWC Military Style Chrono, Accurist Dress Watch
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Ray Wongs BUND Homage

Post by f1colin »

Havnt bought that one, but ray is a top guy, delivers very good service. Had a couple of sbs divers watches from him with eta quartz movements.....
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by castle »

I asked exactly the same question on TZ-UK
http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=202330
Limited repsonse but there was this.

I have both a Ray Wong Bund and a Kemmner Bund (sold through Wislon Watch Works). The Kemmner is a better watch, build-wise.

Differences:
1. The Ray Wong has a larger dial and dial opening, and thus a narrower bezel, this changes the appearance more that you would think.
2. The Kemmner second hand is different from the original Bunds, the Wong is closer to the original.
3. The Kemmner case is the same as the original with a cup and four grub screws, the Wong is made in the traditional manner. The original design has poor WR qualities, compared to the traditional design.
4. The Wong uses a plastic spacer and the spacer is required to activate the chronograph, the Kemmner uses traditional pushers and a brass case ring.
5. The Wong band is superior to the Kemmner band, in my opinion.
6. Both use the Sea Gull 1901 chronograph, but the Kemmner made version was regulated better (this may or may not be true of all examples).
7. The Wong has the incorrect "3H" on the dial, the Kemmner has "SL".
8. The Wong has very poor lume, practically none on the dial.

I contacted Ray Wong on ebay and got a reply to some queries within a few hours. Roland Kemmner took multiple emails (no repsonse) and questions on ebay (limited repsonse) and eventually a phone call to Germany for similar. If you get stung for import tax from Hong Kong there isn't a huge price differential between the 2 watches. Personally I prefer the dial of the Ray Wong homage, but I am currently undecided if either watch will get my money.
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.
Typhoon
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Typhoon »

Hi thanks for your replies. Castle I read that post just yesterday, very useful, thanks. After tax I think the Wong example is rather a lot. Around £200-£250 I could live with. Then again it is a great looking watch just a bit of an unknown quantity which is what worries me if it goes wrong etc. £284 plus postage @ £20ish + import tax = £383. Which is significant, I think I may hold on for the time being!
Christopher Ward:
C4 RCAF, C5 Aviator

Other:
Breitling Top Time, Raketa Glasnost, MWC Military Style Chrono, Accurist Dress Watch