C11 MSL screws alignment and price difference PVD black

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
lp77
Junior
Junior

C11 MSL screws alignment and price difference PVD black

Post by lp77 »

Hi Guys,

Read an article about CW in the UK watch magazine and got interested in the CW watches so visited the website. I am really impressed by the designs and quality. Especially the C11 MSL PVD black is the one I am interested in (and the C8 black is awsome as well). One minor thing about this watch are the screws that are not aligned. Can anyone with a C11 tell me if these srwes can be removed? Then it would be an option to remove them and put some locktite on them so I can replace them well aligned.

Two more questions:
- Why is the black PVD 50,- more expensive? Just because it's a new design?
- When ordering a watch at CW can you select the mechanism you want ETA or Sellita?

Thanks for your replies and regards from the Netherlands!
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Re: C11 MSL screws alignment and price difference PVD black

Post by Aifo »

Hi there, welcome to the CW forum!

As to your queries, though I do not have a C11, from my experience purchasing other CW models guess I would be able to comment on the two additional questions. The "black" C11 is more expensive because of the extra cost on the PVD coating to the case (which makes it black), whether the extra treatment to the case justify the price difference is a matter of personal preference but it is indeed customary to price differently (usually upwards) for any variation to the original SS case.

Also from my understanding we as buyers do not get the option to pick between the the movements (ETA/Sellita) since I believe the choice is ultimately determined by availability. I am not in any position to comment on the technical differences between the two and more learned members maybe able to explain whether they are practically the same.

Also two useful tips to bare in mind when it comes to purchasing your first CW, firstly, you can send any questions you may have about the watch to CW's customer service and more than likely you will receive promptly and helpful reply, secondly, take a read of the CW360 guarantee (link at the top of this page) and be rest assured you can always return your CW (undamaged) within 60 days from your original purchase.
Incoming: 0
triffidman
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by triffidman »

You could look at it that the stainless steel finish is £50 cheaper than the PVD finish. That way, it seems like a positive rather than a negative. That's the way I look at things.

There doesn't really have to be a reason why things cost more or less than other things, it's just the way it is. Surely you must think it's a bit unfair that Christopher Ward have to explain why their watches cost what they do? After all, if you go into the supermarket, would you ask why certain wines and more/less than others.
C60 GMT (SOKKO)
C40 Chronograph

Laco Helsinki
Tissot T Touch Expert

Casio G-Shock Frogman
Casio G-Shock GPW-1000
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by Clach77 »

I really liked the C11 Chrono when it came out, so much so I would have bought one if I'd not picked up a C8 Blackhawk. But then the PVD version came out and wouldn't consider even the NN steel one in the sale.

I do like black watches, so to me the extra £50 for PVD is annoying. :D But worth the extra. :thumbup:
Trying not to buy any more watches...
mac2011
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by mac2011 »

Yes, I think its down to the price for the PVD process. And it could well be a genuine £50 difference if only done in small numbers I guess?

I'd also like to know whether the C11 front face screws can be removed. I have an urge to replace them with little torx bolts to satisfy my misaligned screw OCD :)
image_doctor
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 5

Post by image_doctor »

You might want to bear in mind, that tough though it is, all PVD watches are only covered by a coating of some microns of thickness.

If your watch is subject to the bangs and dinks of everyday life you may well find the coating will scratch or eventually rub away, so it will gather some patina.

But you are right the black does look lovely and if you cosset it I'm sure it will last in pristine condition for a long time, as my C600IPK has.
lp77
Junior
Junior

Post by lp77 »

Hi all,

thanks for your replies so far. I know I have to live with the fact that the PVD will cost me 50,- extra. It costs some extra money to look nice......well as long as I don't need botox I can live with the 'just' extra 50,-.

Anyone can answer the question about the screws? Anyone tried to remove them?
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Don't have the watch and I would not try and remove them anyway. Even expensive B&R and others that I have seen with screws all look natural and not lined up. I would suggest e-mailing Chris or customer services and asking them directly.
http://www.christopherward.co.uk/contact_us.html
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

Comparing these photos from the reference gallery...

Kip

Mr Rick

alphajet

... we can see that the screws are all aligned differently. I would expect therefore that they can be removed. I wonder if they line up with the screws on the back? ... are they screws or bolts? :shock:
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Charlief
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Charlief »

The alignment of the screws has stopped me from buying this otherwise attractive watch. I ended up getting a "S"Aviation.
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Re the choice of movement (ETA/Sellita), I recently ordered a C5 aviator, and requested one with an ETA movement (I emailed Wera). She said they would send an ETA model if they had it - which they did.
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by AliBar »

Charlief wrote:The alignment of the screws has stopped me from buying this otherwise attractive watch. I ended up getting a "S"Aviation.
Not saying it couldn't, or shouldn't be attempted but (and possibly naive observation) surely this would require a level of precision engineering in the screws that would be to a handmade (i.e. relatively much more expensive level) not a mass produced level.

Not only would the turns of the thread on the screw itself have to precisely match the bore within the case (taps and dies aren't they ? !) but then the groove on the screw head would have to be precisely "drawn" against the screw thread to ensure it ended up in a consistent finshing position when fully screwed in.

If B&R can't (or don't bother to) manage this on £2k+ watches then why should it be viewed as a flaw on a CW watch. Or maybe it does come down to one's own level of symmetry OCD :)
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
Charlief
Senior
Senior

Post by Charlief »

My posting was about my own OCD and not at all about the quality of the C11. If the screws were not there this watch would be on my wrist. :D
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by AliBar »

Charlief wrote:My posting was about my own OCD and not at all about the quality of the C11. If the screws were not there this watch would be on my wrist. :D
Kip - new OCD meds required... for those of us worried about having a screw loose :). Better make it a big order as it probably applies to the majority here :lol: .
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
Charlief
Senior
Senior

Post by Charlief »

AliBar wrote:
Charlief wrote:My posting was about my own OCD and not at all about the quality of the C11. If the screws were not there this watch would be on my wrist. :D
Kip - new OCD meds required... for those of us worried about having a screw loose :). Better make it a big order as it probably applies to the majority here :lol: .

Yup! When I remodeled my home and all the contractors finished.... I went around to all the electrical switch plates and adjusted the screws!!! :lol: