CWL credibility

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
tomrakewell
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

CWL credibility

Post by tomrakewell »

I ordered a watch in the current NN sale. Apart from the neglect of removing a mark (probably from a permanent marker pen) that was not removable using only water, I found this watch does not have a serial
number engraved. The section in the owners manual has a dash.
This makes me think ... How many CWL watches without serial numbers are there? What use is a serial number system if some watches come without? How does this affect re-sale value? In short: How credible is CWL as a serious watch company?
Tom

Nautische Instrumente Mühle Glashütte City Automatic XIII
Christopher Ward C5 Malvern Automatic (C5SWTR) | C7 Rapide (C7STT,C7BRGLE) | C3 Malvern Chrono | C13 Henley Chrono | C2 Forum LE
Skagen 759LSLC | 759LGL | 755XLSLC
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Re: CWL credibility

Post by I.I.D »

Could be a prototype or pre production watch. What model is it, as if it was the Russell that was on it could explain why a watch that has been out of production for a while suddenly appeared as a NN? Some might consider ones like this to be very collectable, but as ever if you don't like it or feel uncomfortable then just send it back & tell them why.
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

Very odd. I wouldn't accept it without a serial number,
PaulWB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 62
LE-fourb: yes

Post by PaulWB »

To be honest, the webpage for the Nearly New does say that the NN watches are press and photo samples, so pre-production models could be amongst those items for sale.

Sounds like you have something of a rarity.

Regards
Paul
C1, C2, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C11, W6, C7/C70, 2009 FLE, 2012 FLE Red, 2013 FLE, 2015 FLE, C9 JH2, C900 WT

Member CWL Double Figures Club
Tomsolo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
LE-three: yes

Post by Tomsolo »

Some watches may not have a serial No.... i picked up a C7 in last years NN sale... it was one of the commisioned watches that CW produced for RAF lossiemouth... there were only 95 and mine was given serial No "00" to denote that it was not really one of the actual commisioned watches i believe.....could this be the same with yours? I like mine even more as it really is quite a rarity... and rarity usually means more valu :thumbup: able!
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I imagine a clue to the answer to your last question is contained in your signature. You have five CWL watches and have purchased another one, hence you must think CWL have a modicum of credibility.

As for the pen mark, that is sloppy and I am sure CWL would refund you if you sent it back to them stating this as the reason. That said, if you like the piece and have been able to clean the mark off, an email to CWL advising them of this slip-up, and it is a slip-up, will give them a heads-up and will hopefully avoid a repeat of this issue. I have no idea on the serial number front but I am inclined to agree with PaulWB about the lack of serial number adding to the rarity of the piece.
I.I.D
Guru
Guru

Post by I.I.D »

If you have lost faith in CWL's credibility & want to unload your now dubious collection, then mabotham will give you a handsome price for that c2FLE of yours! :lol: (see WTB section)
tomrakewell
Senior
Senior

Post by tomrakewell »

Tomsolo wrote:... there were only 95 and mine was given serial No "00" to denote that it was not really one of the actual commisioned watches i believe...
Mine reads SERIAL NUMBER on the backplate, but shows no number whatsoever.
Tom

Christopher Ward C5 Malvern Automatic (C5SWTR) | C7 Rapide (C7STT,C7BRGLE) | C3 Malvern Chrono | C13 Henley Chrono | C2 Forum LE
Tomsolo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Tomsolo »

tomrakewell wrote:
Tomsolo wrote:... there were only 95 and mine was given serial No "00" to denote that it was not really one of the actual commisioned watches i believe...
Mine reads SERIAL NUMBER on the backplate, but shows no number whatsoever.
Oh well... that exhausted my best guess :-k
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

An actual prototype has no serial number but sometimes has the words serial number such as yours, as do developement prototypes.

Pre-Production prototypes usually have 00/00 or just 0000 depending on the model, but not always.

Some spare casebacks are kept in case of damage and are engraved after they have been placed on a watch. This is also possible.

You may wish to consult Wera for an explanation.

Prototypes don't usually leave CWL although pre production ones do come available from time to time. These tend to be a bit more valuable to collectors over time.

My big question is what does the paperwork say?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
tomrakewell
Senior
Senior

Post by tomrakewell »

Kip wrote:My big question is what does the paperwork say?
The letter mentions nothing. The Certificate of Authenticity in the Owner's Handbook reads:

Serial Number
# -
Tom

dingmah

Post by dingmah »

I would think that having a serial number of - makes it more valuable as someone else has already said....
tomrakewell
Senior
Senior

Post by tomrakewell »

BTW, it is a C60-TRI-SKCK.

I just noticed that compared to photos on the CWL and on this forum, the back plate of my watch has the trident and only SWISS MADE and SERIAL NUMBER engraved. The inscriptions WATER RESISTANT 30ATM, SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL, and 25 JEWEL MOVEMENT are missing.

... as I'm writing this, an email from Wera arrives, saying " ... returned PR sample, looks like you have a very early prototype…..they come without serial numbers."
Tom

Tomsolo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Tomsolo »

tomrakewell wrote:BTW, it is a C60-TRI-SKCK.

I just noticed that compared to photos on the CWL and on this forum, the back plate of my watch has the trident and only SWISS MADE and SERIAL NUMBER engraved. The inscriptions WATER RESISTANT 30ATM, SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL, and 25 JEWEL MOVEMENT are missing.

... as I'm writing this, an email from Wera arrives, saying " ... returned PR sample, looks like you have a very early prototype…..they come without serial numbers."
Though i can entirely see why you might, quite rightly be disgruntled....it's not what you were expecting. It does Sound like you have a rare beast there..! keep wera's e-mail as provenance might be worth more in the future... :thumbup:

Or sling it back under the returns policy.... :thumbdown:
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

Personally.....I'd be tempted to keep that!!

All depends on what you feel though??
John