No votes

Total votes: 15

joerattz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Should I wear this new watch?

Post by joerattz »

When I bought this watch (used), I had every intention of wearing it. Sure, it is a limited edition of 999. But, I want to wear it. In many ways, it is a grail type watch for me. But, when I got it, that is where the trouble all began.

First, there is this photo:

Notice that it says right on the box, "1st Mechanical Diver's 200 M Limited Edition". Could this be worth serious money one day? It is Alba's first. Let's move on to what's inside the cardboard box:

Hmm, now the leather(ette) case says the same thing. They (Alba) seem to be making a big deal out of this. It's a nice case with a stitched trim.

In the shot below, you can see the wave pattern in the dial. Several of the pics had severe glare which is odd because it wasn't visible to my eyes. You can barely tell in the pic that the bezel markings are red from 0 to 20, black for a while after that, and then blue from about 40 to 60.

The shot below shows the serial number, #175 of 999.

Here you can see it has a sapphire crystal. Neither of the normal Seiko monsters (orange or black) have a sapphire crystal which is one of the first things I would like to change on them.

You can't quite tell in the shot below, but this is the first watch I have seen where when the crown is screwed in, it is completely inside the crown protectors and does not stick up a bit.

The shot below is bad, but I had to get a lume shot in. I guess I am going to have to get a tripod for these.

As always, you can see them all at my site here.

So, the question becomes, should I wear it? The original owner said he never wore it outside the house. The watch certainly appears to be unworn. I know if I wear it, day one the clasp will be scuffed. So, wear it or not?
C5SWT (#316), C5AKS (#316/1936), C5AWS (#789/1936), C6-ForumLE (#3/100), C6SYS (#347), C6-T3LE (#130/300), C6SWS (#601), C3SKS (#1204)

Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 : http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590597893?tag=netsplore-20
El Tiempo
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Re: Should I wear this new watch?

Post by El Tiempo »

Unfortunately, the range of watches that will "be worth something" someday is very tiny. Limited edition or not. If you really believe this watch will be worth enough someday to warrant not wearing it, then don't. If not, then enjoy wearing it.
leebman
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by leebman »

Wear it and enjoy it, the might bes of future worth won't be as enjoyable as many days of checking the time on a watch you love to look at :D
Daz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Daz »

8)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

if I were you I wouldn't wear it to work. We know what you can do to any watch. But wear it with pride anywhere else. I have several watches that I only wear in non abusive situations. Enjoy it. if you didn't buy it for an investment, then enjoy your time with it. Investment watches are unfortunate that they rarely see the daylight. If it is to be of true value someday, will you be around to cash in?

BTW, really nice photos as always. Pretty good looking presentation with this watch also.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Russ-Shettle
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Russ-Shettle »

Ware it, has my vote..
carman63
Senior
Senior

Post by carman63 »

Every watch I buy, I buy with the intent to wear. Even the limited editions.

I say, enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed - strapped to your wrist :D
Monkey
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Monkey »

Wear it, thats what it was made for!!

Nothing is guaranteed about future value, but your smile while wearing it is a lot more likely :D

Enjoy it :2thumbs:
John
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

I would say never buy a watch that you wouldn't be prepared to wear...although obviously in an appropriate way ie don't wear it if you are going to build a brick wall!!
Looks nice by the way.
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

So what do you think Joe. You gonna wear it? Maybe a change to a rubber strap would help you out at work. After all it is the straps you destroy isn't it?
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
bdalton
CW-watches: 1

Post by bdalton »

I think the likelihood of this watch ever being worth a significant amount of money is next to zero. The watch is relatively inexpensive new; so the price probably won't jump that much even if Alba becomes an iconic brand in the future. Wear the watch and enjoy it.