A place to discuss other watch-brands
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Wempe - what do you think?

Post by Wis »

http://www.chronometerwerke-glashuette. ... .php?bid=2

They seem very well designed in a style I like. ETA movements. Too bad most of them are 42mm. At 40mm they would be well nigh irresistible.
Bjørn
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

Re: Wempe - what do you think?

Post by xtriple »

Blimey the Aviators look exactly the same as the CW versions :shock: Who copied who? Other than that, nice watches. 8)
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

I think they are very expensive watches with ETA movements. Though they do look awesome!
Incoming: 0
highway62

Post by highway62 »

some beautiful looking watches ...at a price :D
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

You asked for opinions and mine is that they are nice looking dress watches, with the exception of the aviator styled naturally. Not the sort of watch I'd wear everyday and not the first maker I'd run to for the dress type watch. Although maybe as a 'statement' piece :?

Alex
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
robinbarke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by robinbarke »

They are very classy watches and quite good value considering the weakness of the pound against the euro. They are made in Glashutte, alongside A Lange & Sohne and Nomos and Nomos hand make the movements for their tourbillon and other top of the range watches. Wempe are co sponsors of the German Din standard (the German equivalent of COSC) and submit some of their movements for certification.

The whole range is usually available for viewing at the Wempe shop in Old Bond Street as is the Nomos range. Allocate a whole day and take a credit card with enormous headroom!

Robin
C9GMT C8 Mk 1 C5 Malvern 2011 C9FLE C50 Malvern COSC C60 FLE2012 2013FLE
Oris Big Crown, Hublot, Rolex Datejust, Nomos Tangomat.

See my book, Aynho Junction, in the News section of http://www.robinbarkerphotography.com
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

robinbarke wrote: The whole range is usually available for viewing at the Wempe shop in Old Bond Street as is the Nomos range. Allocate a whole day and take a credit card with enormous headroom!.....

Robin
......Or just enough to buy that insanely good value Nomos Orion solar you always wanted ;)
I miss all the great things that may never be.
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by jack »

xtriple wrote:Blimey the Aviators look exactly the same as the CW versions :shock: Who copied who? Other than that, nice watches. 8)
Wempe are well older than CWL. I think they go back to the 70's and may have some further ancestry prior to that.

Cheers,
Jack.
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Post by Loddonite »

jack wrote:Wempe are well older than CWL. I think they go back to the 70's and may have some further ancestry prior to that.

Cheers,
Jack.
Wempe were making watches for the Luftwaffe in the '40s (along with Stowa, IWC and Laco), so they go waaaaay back.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
paw3001
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes

Wempe - what do you think?

Post by paw3001 »

As already has been said, Wempe were one of the original manufacturers of WW aviator watches.

So CW copied Wempe!
Watches - Too many but not enough!
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by jack »

Loddonite wrote:
jack wrote:Wempe are well older than CWL. I think they go back to the 70's and may have some further ancestry prior to that.

Cheers,
Jack.
Wempe were making watches for the Luftwaffe in the '40s (along with Stowa, IWC and Laco), so they go waaaaay back.
Yes - I knew they were well established and I thought they might be part of that stable. And a very good stable too. very nice watches.

Cheers,
Jack.