Just been holding a Rolex....

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Just been holding a Rolex....

Post by Lavaine »

Despite the over the top marketing, Rolex does make some nice pieces. In the event that I ever own a Rolex, it will likely be an Explorer I. Such a classic, understated piece that doesn't scream to everyone within 10 yards that you're wearing a Rolex (much like the Air King). I'll take mine in the original 36mm case.
The biggest complaint I have every time I've held or tried on a Rolex is the bracelet. How can such an expensive watch have such a flimsy feeling bracelet? I'm sure it is good quality, but they all fell too light and 'tinny'.
I would, however, love to own a Tudor or two. The Heritage chrono is at the top of my 'can't afford it yet' list.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
arthur08
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3
LE-two: yes

Post by arthur08 »

xtriple wrote: Some Breitlings are just too "Bling" whereas Rolex look more restrained unless loaded down with gold and diamonds. As above, I will get one at some point and advice like the above is most welcome.
Not all Breitlings are blingy... :)

However I do fancy a Rolex at some point myself. The Explorer models are currently on my "if only" list!
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jmarchitect »

jack wrote:Hey...so it's a 39mm rather than a 40 is it? I had a quick look at one a few weeks ago, didn't try it on or anything. Did look pretty nice though with that extra bit of presence. I've always liked the look of the Explorer 1 and even more so because I never see anybody wearing one! Whenever I see one on a wrist, it is the Sub, Datona, GMT Master or occasionally the Yachmaster. Usual suspects I suppose.

Cheers,
Jack.
That is absolutely it- you never see anyone wearing one and that does add to the appeal. I have missed a couple of MKII Vantages on tz uk recently. They are said to be a great homage of the explorer 1 and are also sized at 39mm. They also have a well placed date window and the date wheel is white on black. Check them out. Although if you do see one on a sales corner anywhere, we may well end up arm wrestling for it! 8)
jack
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by jack »

jmarchitect wrote:
jack wrote:Hey...so it's a 39mm rather than a 40 is it? I had a quick look at one a few weeks ago, didn't try it on or anything. Did look pretty nice though with that extra bit of presence. I've always liked the look of the Explorer 1 and even more so because I never see anybody wearing one! Whenever I see one on a wrist, it is the Sub, Datona, GMT Master or occasionally the Yachmaster. Usual suspects I suppose.

Cheers,
Jack.
That is absolutely it- you never see anyone wearing one and that does add to the appeal. I have missed a couple of MKII Vantages on tz uk recently. They are said to be a great homage of the explorer 1 and are also sized at 39mm. They also have a well placed date window and the date wheel is white on black. Check them out. Although if you do see one on a sales corner anywhere, we may well end up arm wrestling for it! 8)
I'll start training then :lol: .
Sounds like we have a similar outlook. It's strange though when you look at the Explorer 1 and see what a great, really smart piece it is, that there are hardly any guys wearing them. Having said that, I think it's probably the trend for bigger watches that may have had an effect. Luckily, my prejudices are not too strong with watches. I like 38's to 42's and even at a pinch a 43. Gives me more targets :D .

Thanks for the nod - I'll check them MKII's out.

Cheers,
Jack.