A place to discuss other watch-brands
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Zeno Bauhaus watch

Post by robert75 »

I posted a review on TZUK of this watch which although quite a beautiful watch is one that's not very common on the forums. I picked this one up today so please excuse the photos and here goes with the review.

Well first about the watch itself, its described as a new old stock watch or more accurately a watch with a Swiss made new old stock movement (F138.011) Now I will be honest, I know absolutely nothing about this movement and no end of searching on the internet will give me any results other than the odd review on a German watch forum so other than say its a hand wind 17 Jewell movement that has been cleaned and checked there is not much more to add. I should add that while this is described as new old stock I think more accurately this is a watch that was originally produced a decade or so ago with NOS movements that just didn't sell so has now been re-issued.

On with the watch itself, its a 38mm case but looks and wears a lot bigger that its size would suggest. Its not like say a Stowa or Nomos where it is all dial and thin case, this has a fairly thick case but wears pretty well. I think it makes it a good option for someone who likes the Bauhaus style, cant wear a small sized watch but doesn't want something big and oversized. This is a pretty nice compromise.

The dial itself is white in colour unlike the Stowa which because of its silver coated dial it has an almost grey colour to it. The print looks ok but nothing remarkable I am glad they took the plane logo off the dial and left the company logo only. Then hands are plain black there is little to add here.

The strap is a decent plain black leather strap with the Zeno logo on it. The buckle is plain with no logo on it and the strap itself reminds me a little of the plain black Hirsch straps, I may change it at some point in the future.

The watch has a display back which although cleaned and jewelled is nothing remarkable and in a strange way reminds me of the Durowe German movement, more in that it looks very industrial and makes me think "Why would anyone really want to look at it?" I think if you are going to have a display back it needs to be decorated.

The watch comes in a black travel case rather than the piano black box you sometimes see. Personally this doesn't bother me much as I prefer the travel case (Its what makes Eddies watches a big bonus and I think Kemmner watches also come in a travel case) Much more practical than having a nice box that just ends up clutter in the house.

So overall my impressions of the watch, good for the money and as it comes in at the same price point of the Junghans Max Bill (Depending on where you find it) The Junkers power reserve automatic (That has a Miyota not further described movement) I think this is a worthy competitor. One thing I should mention is the Zeno has a mineral crystal the Junghans has an acrylic, that doesn't bother me as I have had watches with mineral glass before trouble free but it may be an issue for some people.

Comparison to the Stowa? Personally I think that's unfair as the Stowa is about £200 more. The Stowa in my personal opinion wins on many factors, the case the hands, the dial and the decoration of the movements but there is a price difference in that. With the Stowa you are getting an excellent watch for its price point with the Zeno you are getting something a little different.

In regards to accuracy, I have had the Stowa for about 8 months or so now and out the box it was running +5/7 seconds a day. I have not checked it since as its not worn regularly enough for me to do so. The Zeno is new out the box but seems to be running pretty accurate so far.

A picture along side a vintage Zenith to compare the size of the three.

richtea
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Re: Zeno Bauhaus watch

Post by richtea »

Nice review thanks :D

Not a watch i have seen before

I rather like its minimal looks and its at a reasonable price point

Regards
RichT
6 x C Ward
Assorted Swiss and
Japanese Quartz/Autos etc ...

Open the pod doors Hal !! :lol:
teestech
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by teestech »

Good read, thank you for taking the time to post. I agree, nice looking watch. I particularly like the simplicity of the sub seconds.
Chr Ward • Rolex • Oris • Magrette • Orient • Helgray • Citizen • CWC • Momentum • Suunto • Rotary • Majex • Yema
Handwound: 2 • Automatic: 15 • Quartz: 6
7ee
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by 7ee »

Yep, another :thumbup: for that review.

Any chance of some wrist shots to add, perhaps one with the Stowa wrist shot directly below for comparison to how they wear.

Looks a nice watch to me. So is this a TimeFactors? Can't seem to see it on his website.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Excellent review, thanks for posting. Good to see something different from the usual suspects.
Richard
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

Tetlee wrote:Yep, another :thumbup: for that review.

Any chance of some wrist shots to add, perhaps one with the Stowa wrist shot directly below for comparison to how they wear.

Looks a nice watch to me. So is this a TimeFactors? Can't seem to see it on his website.
No not timefactors, from Zeno's authorised dealer in the UK. Will try and post a few more photos soon.
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Weird! I've been investigating Zeno recently and think they're a pretty solid bet, with trusted movements and plenty of history behind them, although the company isn't quite the same as back in the day, but then what company is?

Was it from time-design?

It's a beautiful looking watch and an asset to the collection, and a great review. I wish more of us did these kind of posts to give other members insight into purchase decisions.

Good man :thumbup:

Edit: I was looking at the Zeno Army Diver 300m, so a bit different to yours, but interestingly the Army Diver cases are made by Squale 8)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by robert75 »

It'sAliveJim wrote:Weird! I've been investigating Zeno recently and think they're a pretty solid bet, with trusted movements and plenty of history behind them, although the company isn't quite the same as back in the day, but then what company is?

Was it from time-design?

It's a beautiful looking watch and an asset to the collection, and a great review. I wish more of us did these kind of posts to give other members insight into purchase decisions.

Good man :thumbup:

Edit: I was looking at the Zeno Army Diver 300m, so a bit different to yours, but interestingly the Army Diver cases are made by Squale 8)
The orange diver is the next Zeno on my list along with the doctors watch. Send me a PM ref your intended Zeno purchase.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

That's a very nice watch, and a great review. Thank you.
I have that department pretty well covered. If I didn't, that would be on the radar. Enjoy!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

A very nice looking watch and an excellent review on an uncommon brand around here. :thumbup:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.