Wrocket Watches - My Take

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Hoss Coog
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Wrocket Watches - My Take

Post by Hoss Coog »

Sunday night I was watching the NFL Pro Bowl and surfing the forum when I read Director65's thread about Rpaige Wrocket watches. http://www.christopherwardforum.com/vie ... =8&t=23531 Needless to say, I was curious and decided to check out Richard Paige's website to learn more. http://www.rpaigewatch.com/

As I read about Richard's inspiration for creating the Wrocket and browsed the watches he had for sale, one really caught my eye and I didn't leave his site until I bought it.

Movement: 17 Waltham vintage Hunters case American pocket watch movement. Movement Manufactured in 1917. Bimetallic balance wheel with gold balance wheel screws, Rose gold jewel cups, and Rose gold center wheel. Fancy “Star” regulator.

Dial: Special antique silver engraved ”Guilloche” dial with white gold raised arabic numbers, made in Switzerland for the Waltham Watch Company. The dial is also about 100 years old.

James Bond may wear an Omega, but President Lincoln kept a Waltham in his pocket! The history surrounding the Waltham company and the role it played in the industrial revolution is fascinating, especially since Henry Ford toured their factory to learn more about their assembly line process. The movement goes back to the golden age of American watchmaking when Americans dominated the watchmaking world, not the Swiss. Movement makers made their products visually appealing because customers would go to their jeweler, pick out a movement, pick out a case, and have the jeweler put it together for him. The nicer looking movements outsold the plain ones. Only 3% of pocket watch movements were the Hunters case which means the crown was at 3 o'clock which makes them perfect for wrist watch conversion.

Pictures do not do this watch justice and it's a one off. I got lucky on this and I thank Director65 for turning me on to Richard Paige and his beautiful Wrocket watches.

Bittles, my Maine Coon, approves. She's seen and inspected it before my wife. Matter of fact, my wife doesn't know yet!

CWL SP & JH | Rpaige Waltham | Zenith Striking 10th | Tag Heuer Monza Cal36, Monaco Cal11 & Kirium | Omega Speedmaster & Seamaster 300M | Seiko Alpinist & Elegant | 1946 Vacheron & Constantin | Glashutte Senator Chronometer
Director65
Expert
Expert

Re: Wrocket Watches - My Take

Post by Director65 »

Hoss, that looks incredible...congratulations on owning a real piece of horological history!!! But you've got to add a few more pics; we want to peek under the hood of that baby...give us some movement shots...puh-leeeese!!! Thanks for sharing. Now you'll have something over which to drool during the Super Bowl!!!! LOL!!! Great pick-up!!!
Director65
CW Watches
Amelia (Ladies)
C8 P7350 LE #68 of 75
Konketsu
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Konketsu »

Congrats! That dial looks incredible. Quite a fine watch you have acquired. I also took a look at his website and found a few very nice ones that I would love to own.
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill
Hoss Coog
Expert
Expert

Post by Hoss Coog »

Director65 wrote:Hoss, that looks incredible...congratulations on owning a real piece of horological history!!! But you've got to add a few more pics; we want to peek under the hood of that baby...give us some movement shots...puh-leeeese!!! Thanks for sharing. Now you'll have something over which to drool during the Super Bowl!!!! LOL!!! Great pick-up!!!
Pictures of the movement?!?! That means I'd have to take it off and it hasn't left my wrist since FedEx delivered it today!

I'll get some pictures taken and posted tonight!
CWL SP & JH | Rpaige Waltham | Zenith Striking 10th | Tag Heuer Monza Cal36, Monaco Cal11 & Kirium | Omega Speedmaster & Seamaster 300M | Seiko Alpinist & Elegant | 1946 Vacheron & Constantin | Glashutte Senator Chronometer
Director65
Expert
Expert

Post by Director65 »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Director65
CW Watches
Amelia (Ladies)
C8 P7350 LE #68 of 75
Hoss Coog
Expert
Expert

Post by Hoss Coog »

3 more shots...

Wife saw the Wrocket and said, "Did you get another watch?"

I replied, "But honey, I finally have something older than you."

After she slapped me, I told her about the history of the movement, the dial, the Waltham company and blamed the purchase on Director65 being a bad influence on me!!!
Director65
Expert
Expert

Post by Director65 »

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!! WOWZA!!!! THAT is a movement!!!! Congrats, Hoss!!! That is simply amazing, amazing, amazing!!!! Absolutely beautiful...what a great job of restoration on that gorgeous timepiece!!! Nicely spectacular pick-up, indeedimously!!!! LOL!!!
Director65
CW Watches
Amelia (Ladies)
C8 P7350 LE #68 of 75
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Magnificent movement. Definitely a candidate to be worn upside down.

Congratulations! :clap:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

I'm with Kip, a candidate to be worn face down. Beautifully decorated movement a joy to the eye. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fnew »

Make me a +2 with Kip and Richard! That movement is absolutely gorgeous!!!!
Fred

C60 COSC, Orient Mako XL, Raymond Weil Traditions Auto, Daniel JeanRichard Grand TV, Vintage Omega Seamaster, Baume & Mercier Riveria Auto, Citizen Eco Drive, 121 Time Custom Chrono, Invicta Speedway, vintage Seiko Business A, the one I built
Mark78
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Mark78 »

:shock: Stunning, absolutely stunning.

I have a Waltham pocket watch inherited from my grandfather so know a bit of their history. This thread has reminded me I must get it repaired at some point.
Hoss Coog
Expert
Expert

Post by Hoss Coog »

Gents, thanks for the compliments and kinds words. It really is a stunner in person and I couldn't stop looking at it after I put it on my wrist yesterday.

Mark78, if you wanted to convert your grandfather's pocket watch to a wrist watch, Richard at Rpaige may be able to help you. It would have to meet certain criteria. He has done that for others.
village
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by village »

Kip wrote:... Definitely a candidate to be worn upside down.
:
Exactly what I was thinking but probably for different reasons.
Personally I really don't like that dial..I think the sub dial clashes with the rest of the dial and those slanty numbers just look wrong. But that's me and the OP shouldn't give a hoot about what I think 8)
It would be a boring old place if we all liked the same thing.

Enjoy wearing it :thumbup:
If you can read this you are too close to your computer screen....
Mark78
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Mark78 »

Hoss Coog wrote:Mark78, if you wanted to convert your grandfather's pocket watch to a wrist watch, Richard at Rpaige may be able to help you. It would have to meet certain criteria. He has done that for others.
It's times like this I both curse and am thankful for my skinny wrists. Curse in the sense that the watch would be way too big for me, thankful in that I don't even have to think about spending the money that this would entail! If there was any way of miniaturising the dial it's something I would definitely be interested in.

Just to give some context here's some not great iPhone shots of my Waltham:

Hoss Coog
Expert
Expert

Post by Hoss Coog »

village wrote:
Kip wrote:... Definitely a candidate to be worn upside down.
:
Exactly what I was thinking but probably for different reasons.
Personally I really don't like that dial..I think the sub dial clashes with the rest of the dial and those slanty numbers just look wrong. But that's me and the OP shouldn't give a hoot about what I think 8)
It would be a boring old place if we all liked the same thing.

Enjoy wearing it :thumbup:

I think we'll all agree that you've got the best avatar.

__________Image

If we all agreed on the same watches, same cars, same music, etc, we'd live in a boring world. Pictures don't do the watch dial justice, it's many times more striking in person.