Post by leoo »

Is it poorly made? It looks like a $3000+ watch.. its under $500 :shock:
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Why are Sea Gulls inexpensive?

Post by f1colin »

Chinese manufacture - I had a seagull mov't in a sterile dial watch a few years back and it was pretty good on accuracy. Noisier than the ETA original and sounded a bit "tinny" when winding it, but still OK.

That said, I still think $500 is a lot though for a Sea Gull mov't unless I've missed something here?
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by androo »

I have a sea gull Unitas clone in a watch I put together, was going to save for a proper Unitas but the time keeping has been spot on and it looks so good for £25. to get one that looks as good would cost way more than the i would like to pay. as Colin said it is noisier than the unitas in my C9. But for the price very good movements
leoo
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 0

Post by leoo »

Well i was going through non cw of the day.. and spotted Image

And thought to my self.. "That has to be a few thousand..." But it was less then 500. :lol:
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Thanks for spotting! Think the answer to that would be summation of cheap or cheaper labour, economy of scale (mass production), less or lesser brand premium, not a lot of r&d (have to believe the tech is copied, since IP is virtually non-existence in China practically), non-Swiss made, and govt' sponsored.

Not to mistake that as the result of all the above sea-gulls make worse watches, in fact mine is a very well-made piece using quality materials (the blue hands are beautiful, almost comparable to Breugets) and I enjoy the craftsmanship a lot. The movement in my watch is unfortunately nothing close to cosc standard (still +10ish sec a day), well u do get what u paid for. And I am sure the eta unitas would be more durable than the sea-gull unitas.

I think the sea-gulls serve as a good benchmark for what your bucks should translate into watch wise. And ask oneself whether the extra premium u are paying on the other brands are justifiable.

Do check out the sea-gulls! mind you some designs are in your face grade appalling so be selective. ;) And as it may seems hard to believe the current sea-gulls are much more expensive than they were, huge price hike following the brand's international launch and more expensive renmenbi (china dollar). For what's it's worth I do suggest avoiding the bay because there are lots of fakes or rejected goods sold at an obscenely cheap price.

Sorry for the rambling but it seems expected of me, being the token China man on this forum, to elaborate a little bit on this maker. :) hope u enjoy the read.
Incoming: 0
leoo
Senior
Senior

Post by leoo »

Nicely said. But why not buy a Hamilton, Tissot, or CW, for that price?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Aifo »

Well for me it's because i) for 500ish dollars I can't find a mechanical automatic with retrograde date power reserve flying wheel crystal front and back blue steel hands textured dial and a design I like and ii) I don't owe a seagull so like one in my box :):)
Incoming: 0
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

As above.

It's pure economics - low labour costs, high labour skills, availability of materials, cost of materials, government economic policy...

...but also, the management of Seagull are setting the price to sell volume (because they make volume).

Just wait till the Chinese discover marketing :lol:
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Zinaida
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Zinaida »

Sea-Gull ST 25 powers the first two "G.Gerlach" watches, Terrible Twins, the pair of divers designed to commemorate two WWII submarines, operated from Malta by Polish Navy on loan from the British, ORP "Sokol" (Falcon) N97 and ORP "Dzik" (Boar) P52, BTW: ORP means "Ship of Republic of Poland".:

http://gerlach.org.pl/?lang=en
FYI: My avatar presents the original Zinaida, it's ten years since she's gone, still miss her.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Seagull are a respected watch manufacturer - http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wiki/i ... in_Seagull

How watches are priced is not related to movements,materials used or anything else that you can think off but how much can the market stand to pay for this watch. Which is why companies like CWL and Steinhart etc can do well as they can use similar movements and materials that the big name companies do but charge less.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
leoo
Senior
Senior

Post by leoo »

Interesting.. learn something new every day
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by robert75 »

Have seen Sea Gulls going on the bay for about 80 quid from a seller in China. Seems to be reasonably reliable but you may get whacked for import tax when it arrives. I think Sea gulls have took off recently due to people looking outside the standard Swiss Made watch especially when the prices are sometimes hiked up quite unreasonably. Quite a few companies do use Sea Gull parts and usually you find people reacting in horror to hear of a watch with Chinese movements inside them. I have one with Sea Gull movements and its pretty damn reliable, noise wise I dont really see it as that big a problem I usually wear a watch going out so the noise of my watch is the last thing on my mind.
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

Read this thread a while ago, but had nothing to add until today. My Ingersoll Crow was bought last year from shopNBC and it has a ST1901 movement inside. According to a review of the Precista PRS-5 I read this morning, the ST1901 is a clone of the Swiss Venus 175. Actually, "clone" may be too strong a word; the article stressed that SeaGull bought the machines that made the Venus 175, and if so, then SeaGull are making a renamed version of the original. The review was on Watcharama; Google "Precista PRS-5" and on the list of sites should be the review I read. The author didn't sign himself, but there are lots of great photos and the article is very informative. He does make a great pitch for the Time Factors version of the PRS-5, so watch yourselves!
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Loddonite »

The chap who does the reviews on Watcharama is called Ewan. He is a bit of a Timefactors fan - keen on well made, well priced, military style watches - and a regular contributor on TZ-UK. The PRS-5 reviewed is the earlier version - they now come with a Poljot 3133 inside
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

Actually Lod, I think the current PRS-5 uses the ST-19, and the original 'Broadarrow' Prs-5 used the 3133.

>the PRS-5 lives again as a "Precista" and is now fitted with the Seagull ST-19 chronograph movement.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.