Werner Watches?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
watchlover1
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Werner Watches?

Post by watchlover1 »

I was browsing on google when the below link appeared, quite like some of their 40mm aviation watches (Empire range)...very cheap and using auto movements Ive never heard of. I tried looking them up on this forum but there hasnt been much discussion about them. A few WUS members have various models, it appears they use chinese movements.

Anyone purchased form these guys and if so , how was the quality of the watches?

cheers

http://www.wernersflyingwatches.com

Here are models which caught my eye:

http://www.wernersflyingwatches.com/pro ... ?ProID=132

http://www.wernersflyingwatches.com/pro ... ?ProID=362

C5 homage? :D
http://www.wernersflyingwatches.com/pro ... ?ProID=447
Citizen,Tag Heuer,Oris,Victorinox Swiss Army,Casio,G-Shock,Fossil, Guess
Drmarkf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Werner Watches?

Post by Drmarkf »

Sold from Telford, eh?

About 200 years ago I had a pre-uni gap-year job building houses in Telford for McAlpines. They were brick-clad timber framed constructions, and I started off drilling 128 holes through the beams of each so the plumbers and electricians could thread their supplies through the walls. I think I was the only person on the site who could remember where all the holes had to go.

Then I graduated to driving a dumper truck, which was more fun but you got wet when it rained.

Anyway. They look a bit like those houses - nice-ish watches, but what happens when they die in 18 months?
Regards,
Mark

Rolex [4] : Omega [2] : Heuer [3] : Sinn : Nomos : Zeno : Steinhart : Citizen : Traser : Casio : Smiths/PRS
watchlover1
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by watchlover1 »

Drmarkf wrote:Sold from Telford, eh?

About 200 years ago I had a pre-uni gap-year job building houses in Telford for McAlpines. They were brick-clad timber framed constructions, and I started off drilling 128 holes through the beams of each so the plumbers and electricians could thread their supplies through the walls. I think I was the only person on the site who could remember where all the holes had to go.

Then I graduated to driving a dumper truck, which was more fun but you got wet when it rained.

Anyway. They look a bit like those houses - nice-ish watches, but what happens when they die in 18 months?
lol, i was hoping they 'arent' too good to be true......
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Post by Loddonite »

If they're "easy to read" why is the inner number ring mirror-image on the top and bottom examples ? :? :D

As you say, the guys on WUS-Affordables seem to like these, but don't mention them on WUS-German - I seem to remember some of them can be a bit touchy about Germasian watches. I don't have an Aeromatic 1912 but I've had no trouble with my Chinese(ish) watches; build quality is OK and they've run well - I have a quartz chrono that only loses a seconds a month (I have no idea what's inside it).

I had assumed because these are faux-German watches "Werner's Flying Watches" would be a German website... but I had myself fallen for the name trick... its address is in a housing estate in Telford.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

Oh Werners... the site that started this crazy addiction for me three years back. In terms of the site and the service no issues at all. England based and run by a guy called Nick, I seem to recall, who gets very good reviews for his service.

I purchased only one watch, a c£80 automatic which at the time I thought was brilliant. Then I found CW. Should I compare an £80 watch with CW's costing 5 times as much... yes if you feel, as I do, that the overall quality was 5x better.

If you see one you like, buy-it, but if you're concerned about "branded" components, and I'd include case quality as well as internals, then from my albeit brief experience you're probably buying a mongrel as opposed to a pedigree.
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
Jan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jan »

I remember looking at his site last year and thinking that I'd never seen so many fugly watches in one place...
C20 Lido, C5 Aviator, C5 Quartz, W6 Splash, C4 Peregrine, C6 RAF Valley
AliBar
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by AliBar »

Jan wrote:I remember looking at his site last year and thinking that I'd never seen so many fugly watches in one place...
I've just lookeed again and tend to agree Jan... how my tastes have changed over the years :)
Alastair.

Double Member of the C80 Owners Club
Jan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jan »

There must be a market for his watches, but I still find it surprising.
So glad that the knowledgeable people around this forum has educated me on where to find quality :-)
C20 Lido, C5 Aviator, C5 Quartz, W6 Splash, C4 Peregrine, C6 RAF Valley
watchlover1
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by watchlover1 »

It was their aviation watches which caught my eye initially....on one hand their watches are very cheap but on the other for a few hundred more,I would prefer the quality of CW,Steinhart, Archimede and so on....in fact if i was to spend around £100 on a watch maybe a Seiko 5 would be a safer option?
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by castle »

Save your money, you have some very nice watches in your signature, my guess is you would regret buying cheap.
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes

Post by androo »

castle wrote:Save your money, you have some very nice watches in your signature, my guess is you would regret buying cheap.
Totally agree with castle.
scubaist

Post by scubaist »

I have just seen this thread and thought I would comment. I have 4 CW watches and one from Werners Watches. I bought the Werners one years ago just to see what it was like and how it behaved on a scuba diving trip I was about to make. It survived the trip and many other, I have just replaced the battery and it is on my wrist as I type. It is ugly, functional and is te only one of its type I have ever seen. I have four CW watches,a dress watch, a chrono and two diving watches. The second hand fell off one of my CW diving watches and had to be replaced. Much more sophisticated designs but not bullet proof.