We're not in Kansas anymore!

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

We're not in Kansas anymore!

Post by Ceegee »

Received my Benarus Moray 42 this morning and thought I'd share my initial thoughts and some pics.

I was after a new divers watch but wanted something just a little bit different. Benarus is a US boutique brand making chunking dive watches in very limited numbers. They're currently based in Kansas but I believe they used to trade out of Germany (the founder of the brand is German I think). They seem to do runs of around 100 for each new model. The Moray 42 (it's a 42mm diameter as opposed to previous Morays which were 44mm and 47mm) came with 6 different dials. Four of those dial designs are now sold out, including the one I opted for. In fact I was lucky enough to buy the last one (serial number 004).

Despite Benarus' best efforts I still got stung for Customs fees which probably means I've paid a little over the odds for what is essentially a dive watch with a Miyota 9015 auto movement. However, there are some lovely little touches which still make this purchase feel rather good value. More of that below. Now for the pics :D

The watch comes in a rather nice leather travel case.

And once inside you have the watch and an additional leather strap.

I've never seen so much plastic wrapping on a watch but it certainly meant it arrived in tip top condition. When you purchase the watch it comes on the SS bracelet but you're offered the opportunity to add either a rubber or leather strap, at no extra cost. I went for the brown vintage leather.

However, I noticed the case had a further little pocket, so I checked inside.

Bonus!
They'd thrown in a rubber strap too. Never expected that.

The watch itself is of excellent build quality. It's a heavy watch and feels like a tank. I think it could take a few knocks. The SS bracelet is fantastic and was one of the reasons I liked the look of the watch in the first place. Reminds me of the excellent bracelet on the Seiko Monster but this is even better quality. It did have one annoying little foible and that was the link pins. Boy were they fiddly to remove. They're of the screwed variety but to remove them I had to hold both ends of the screw pin with screwdrivers. Would have helped if I'd had 3 hands. Or a vice I guess.

I'm not sure you can make out in the photos but the dial and hands are oh so shiny. In small part down to the black ceramic dial and polished steel hands. It's a nice counter point to the brushed steel of the case and bracelet.

I've got a fairly skinny wrist (6.5 inch) but this wears quite small and looks about perfect IMO.

The additional straps are fantastic quailty. With even the buckles feeling like a lot of thought has gone into their design. They're both signed but the buckle on the rubber "cuda" strap is different to the one on the leather.

The lugs have drilled holes which make strap changes very easy. At the minute I'm wearing it on the SS but I can certainly see me using the other straps. The leather looks surprisingly good I think and the rubber will come in handy when the watch goes for a swim.

Glad to hear what you fellas think.
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: We're not in Kansas anymore!

Post by Andyshall »

Congratulations. A really nice looking watch that seems to right on all three straps.
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

I do like a nice dive watch, and that's a nice dive watch. :D
Looks good on all three straps and 42mm is a much more sensible size for a dive watch. Good pick-up.
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by tempusmaximus »

very nice dive watch all the straps go with it but my favourite combination is the brown leather looks superb
Bernie
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Ceegee »

Thanks guys.

I absolutely agree, I think it looks great on all three straps. I forgot to upload a wrist shot on the leather strap. So here we go. This is a look I wasn't sure would work but I like.

Also, thought I'd better add a lume shot, as this is perhaps what might make it stand out from other dive watches on the market. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's the best lume I've seen.

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Very nice Ceegee.

I like the look with all combinations. What a nice gesture including the rubber strap. 8)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Great purchase :)
It looks great on all the straps but my favourite is when it's the brown leather, looks very nice indeed ;)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

Really like that! Great pick up.
Favour the leather but good on all. Could I be cheeky and enquire what kind of money?
Cheers now, Paul
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Ceegee »

stefs wrote:Really like that! Great pick up.
Favour the leather but good on all. Could I be cheeky and enquire what kind of money?
It's about £450 (inc delivery) if you're in the US but it ended up costing me around £590 in the UK. That includes everything, the delivery, customs charges and parcelforce admin costs.
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

That has made me very jealous :lol:

Beautiful watch Ceegee, but shame about the customs – seems like a ridiculous penalty to pay. However, I still think the watch is worth every penny :thumbup:

You've been busy lately – maybe time for a SOTC?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Ceegee »

It'sAliveJim wrote:You've been busy lately – maybe time for a SOTC?
Funny. I was thinking of doing exactly that. I think it's a good time to take stock and slow the watch buying down for a bit :lol:
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Excellent result :thumbup:
vikingdrvr
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by vikingdrvr »

very nice...I second the brown strap as the best look :thumbup:
vikingdrvr

InComing: nada
InTheBox: C60 GMT, C7, C7IRR, C70 D-Type, C8, C11. Steinies: Nav B/OVM/OceanTi500/Racetimer X2/Chrono II. Others: SMP300M Chrono, SMdV, Alpina X2, Tissot Chrono, LLD, Heuer 2000 Auto, Breil...
Emily DT, Charlotte Deco, Coral (wife’s)
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

Possibly the most iconic of all the micro brand dive watches? A really good buy, great looking watch.
I miss all the great things that may never be.
Robin CB
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Robin CB »

Really nice watch and great pics 8)

Bonus with the extra strap :D

42 mm is a very sensible size and has brought this maker back onto my wishlist - thanks. :thumbup: