Watch warranty. True or false?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Bugster87
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Watch warranty. True or false?

Post by Bugster87 »

I was in one of the larger jewellers yesterday in the north of England to enquire about price and availability of a bracelet for my omega watch. The bracelet I was asking about is not standard fit to my watch but I've seen them fitted on various watch forums (it's the first omega in space 19mm lug width).

The sales assistant was helpful however did say that it may void the watch warranty. In fact changing the strap from standard at all may void the warranty. He couldn't confirm this was the case specifically with Omega (said he'd check when he priced it up) but was the case with some manufacturers.

Anyone else heard this? As watch enthusiasts it seems a given that we chop and change straps and bracelets? Are we all voiding the warranty on our (sometimes very expensive) new watches?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Watch warranty. True or false?

Post by Kip »

I won't say that it is not possible, but this is the first time I have heard of this. Most warranties are on the movement itself sans crown/stem. I have never run across case where switching straps affected a warranty.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Bugster87
Senior
Senior

Post by Bugster87 »

Kip wrote:I won't say that it is not possible, but this is the first time I have heard of this. Most warranties are on the movement itself sans crown/stem. I have never run across case where switching straps affected a warranty.
I've visited a few high end high street jewellers in the past year and I've actually been struck and quite surprised at the lack of knowledge on the products they are selling. When I bought the Omega the lady in the shop had absolutely no idea about the model I was asking about.
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

I agree with the above advice - extremely unlikely to affect your warranty, but check the Omega warranty wording supplied with your watch to be certain.

A bracelet, and especially perishable leather straps, are parts of a watch that any owner can change with a modicum of ability, and it’s entirely foreseeable they would do so, so to my mind Omega couldn’t rely on that as a warranty breach, unless you managed to somehow majorly damage the watch whilst doing it. The movement is a different matter, you would be ill-advised to go poking around in there (which you’re not).

Either way, if you’re really concerned about it, and needed some future warranty work done, you could just put the old bracelet/strap (if you still have it) back on before sending it, and Omega would never know the difference, if you’re careful in doing it. Or just send the watch head itself back, without the bracelet attached.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

On the face of it, I think you simply got an assistant who didn't know what he was talking about.

IMO, at the very worst, the strap/bracelet would carry a 'warranty' and the head would have the 'real' and completely separate warranty. As others have said, watch enthusiasts swap straps and bracelets ALL the time and they really have no impact on the functioning of the watch itself.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Magnus
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Magnus »

Given that many Omegas come on either leather or a bracelet and have an additional Omega NATO in the box - specifically to give you the option to change the strap - I am going to say that you got an assistant that does not know what they are talking about.

Even if this was the case, which I'm sure it isn't, you could just change the strap back to the original one when you sent it in for repair.
2015 FLE, 2013 FLE, C60 Black, C11 Makaira Pro 500 Blue, C8 Pilot Mk II, , C7 Rapide MK I, C4 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Corum Admirals Cup
Stowa 1938 Chronograph
Vintage Certina
Tag Heuer F1
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

Magnus wrote:Given that many Omegas come on either leather or a bracelet and have an additional Omega NATO in the box - specifically to give you the option to change the strap
That is a very good point actually - the Speedmaster Moonwatch currently comes in a ridiculously huge box which includes two extra strap options, and they even provide a springbar tool to do the switch yourself, so if that's not Omega outright encouraging owners to change bracelets/straps without affecting the warranty, I'm not sure what is!
Bugster87
Senior
Senior

Post by Bugster87 »

TG3N wrote:
Magnus wrote:Given that many Omegas come on either leather or a bracelet and have an additional Omega NATO in the box - specifically to give you the option to change the strap
That is a very good point actually - the Speedmaster Moonwatch currently comes in a ridiculously huge box which includes two extra strap options, and they even provide a springbar tool to do the switch yourself, so if that's not Omega outright encouraging owners to change bracelets/straps without affecting the warranty, I'm not sure what is!
I think the sales assistant was meaning fitting anything non original to a particular model of watch (even if genuine to manufacturer) could void a watches warranty. Moonwatch nato or Velcro would be OK as supplied with the watch.

Still not sure if this is correct and certainly the first time I've heard it.
Dancematt
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Dancematt »

It's possible if that bracelet fails and the watch tumbles to the ground damaging the movement and you try to claim on the warranty then it won't bbe honoured due to fault of an 'aftermarket part' - same goes for motorbikes and cars but outright void the warranty from the off? Doubtful. But then it is Swatch and they are complete :censored:
I miss all the great things that may never be.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

I would have requested they identified both their arse and their elbow. Just to be sure...
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I would agree with the majority. It's unlikely that a strap change would void a warranty, but confirm it to be sure. Some companies have strange behaviours when it comes to warranties. Two recent examples:
Rolex Canada has started to refuse any warranty claims on resale watches. This warranty limitation is not expressed on the website, and I don't believe it is specifically mentioned on the warranty card. They stand behind "it doesn't say in the warranty that it's transferrable, so it isn't. They will generously transfer the warranty for a not-so-small fee though.

Mitsubishi, in a boneheaded move that helps explain why they are always a half-step away from bankruptcy, sold the Evo X in the US with a free one year SCCA (Sports Car Club of America, the primary sanctioning body for amateur motorsports in the US) membership. Obviously racing your new Evo was ok with Mitsu, right? Nope. Any racing activity immediately voided your warranty. The volume knob fell off? Sorry, not covered, you did an autocross in your new car.

So don't rely on common sense. Contact Omega directly.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Bugster87
Senior
Senior

Post by Bugster87 »

It seems the best policy when dealing with a watch still under warranty is put the original strap back on before going to see an authorised dealer. Especially if it's regarding any potential warranty issues.