Two recent arrivals

A place to discuss other watch-brands
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Two recent arrivals

Post by ItsAliveJim »

I’ve had a bit of activity recently so thought I’d do a little write up. You never know, someone might be interested :D

After a relatively long period of calm compared to the early days, my collection has remained stable and in good shape. But there are always little itches to scratch and just before my holidays I acquired the Kemmner 007 and a Seiko SKX009. Both were cheap enough to play the part of holiday beaters, but quality enough to remain, and will do so for the foreseeable future. The Kemmner developed a small problem about three weeks ago, but is now being resolved. The link to the story is here:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?3 ... ut-*UPDATE*

Then I developed another itch for a chronograph. I only have two analogue chronographs and the Aerospace, but it wasn’t necessarily a desire to own an extra chronograph, more something different. Long story short, I decided to put the watch that started the madness three years ago up for sale. I did this about five months previously but backed out. This time I was determined to go through with it. Consequently, the Breitling Windrider Chronomat left the stable:

It was a stunning watch with a beautiful silvery guilloche dial and panda sub dials, kept perfect time and was a good size, so why sell? Boredom probably. I know I’ll never get another for the same price I sold it for, but hey, we all need to make sacrifices.

I pondered its replacement for a few weeks, trying to determine what style would fit in with the collection, and as usually happens, I spotted something. It had the same silvery dial and panda sub dials, was a heritage (clue) brand and was a slightly more comfortable size at 40mm. After a bit of back and forth with the seller, it arrived last week.

The Longines Heritage 1954

Thankfully the box is about 1/10 the size of the LLD box, although the instruction manual tries to compensate for this by containing the same amount of words as Ulysses.

The dial is a flat silver without any guilloche detail but has applied steel batons and arrow markers – subtle but stylish.

The case is highly polished with a large signed crown, engraved case back and lovely downward sloping lugs for a perfect fit

And a signed buckle of course

The obligatory wrist shot

The strap was a unusually long so I needed to punch in two extra holes, but it is super soft ‘alligator’ leather, and thin, which makes it more comfortable than some padded straps I’ve experienced.

Another one I’m very pleased with then, and feel it’s a more than suitable replacement for the Breitling.

Now for the second new arrival – a completely different beast altogether and the stuff of Avo’s nightmares :lol:

As my collection has ‘matured’ it’s also downsized. Gone are the 44mm divers and 43mm three-handers from Ball and the like. I even went completely the other way with the 36mm Zeno Explorer, which is now on the block. The only reason it’s on the block is as a fundraiser because it’s a perfect little homage in every respect. Still, as I said above, sacrifices have to be made and it may even stay as no one’s biting yet. Blah, blah blah…

Anyway, I suddenly got a hankering for a chunky monkey again. I kind of miss the Sinn U1 so it was something in that mould I was thinking about. A good hunk of weighty steel that reminded me I was wearing a watch at every tiny movement of the wrist.

A couple of sales later and I was ready to pounce on something. I had a look at the usual micro-brand suspects – Armida, Helberg, Helson, Olivier, Aevig, Aquadive – I even started thinking about Doxa again, and I know I’ll definitely own another one day after flipping the 1200T, but that 'something' just had to German, didn’t it? Tutima, Sinn, Muhle Glashutte, Damasko – all renown for producing solid tool watches. But there was one German brand I didn’t immediately associate with the words ‘rugged’, ‘diver’ and ‘tool’, and then I remembered…

Ah, that silver flight case

And this one came with not one, but two spare ‘vanilla’ rubber straps with deployant. I forgot to ask why there were two because they’re both in excellent condition, the only difference being the position of the Stowa logo on the clasp. Luckily, they’re both cut too big for me so I can still adjust to fit :thumbup:

Of course, it’s a Stowa Seatime – 42mm x 50.5mm of blasted steely goodness

Signed crown, screwed lugs…

… and the bracelet is a multi-link work of art that Stowa no longer produces. Screwed links, signed clasp, four micro adjustments

And a display case back to reveal the 2824-2 with signed rotor and blued screws. Unusual for a diver

It wears just how I expected, i.e. large, but not so large as to be silly, just large enough to look like it means business.

I’ve already ordered a spare yellow bezel to give it some ‘pop’ and add some more colour to the watch box.

This means a nice round 12 in the box so once the Kemmner’s back and the yellow bezel’s on, it’ll be time for a SOTC update.

Thanks for looking :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Simon57
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Two recent arrivals

Post by Simon57 »

I do like the Longines, but then, I'm a sucker for a Longines! For my money there are few better brands in that price range when it comes to a blend of prestige and quality.

The manuals, I agree, are far too big though. Just why!?
Christopher Ward x7 // Oris // Tag Heuer // Longines x2 // Nomos // Seiko // Orient x2 // Vostok x2
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

As said, love the seatimer, actually have my eye on one for centuries but they always get snapped up real quick and I can be indecisive on most occasions. Was also close in pulling the trigger on the exact same model of your Longines when I was in the panda chrono hunt, opted for the 369 layout instead so passed on the Heritage although its a bloody nice watch. What can I say, both excellent purchases!
Incoming: 0
downer

Post by downer »

Two great additions. The Longines knocks the B'ling into last week - no danger at all. And the Seatime is a classic that has been on and off my list for a while.

Looking forward to the SOTC. 8)
Richard
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

That Longines is a beauty mate, Congratulations and also on the Stowa which is very different indeed.
rgb
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by rgb »

Both the Longines and Breitling are great looking watches. I prefer the pushers on the Longines, but there is something calling about the Breitling panda. With money in hand facing those two, it would be a tough, tough call. Congrats. :thumbup:
Rolex Explorer II | Tudor BBR | Tudor North Flag | Omega Seamaster Pro 300M | Speedmaster 3513.30 | TAG Kirium F1 | Chr.Ward C9 GMT | C10 Mk1 | C65 LE | Oris Player's 7410 |
WR: 7.25"

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
malvern_man
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by malvern_man »

Two fantastic looking watches, congratulations.

My personal favourite is the Longines.
CWL - C60 Trident Pro ~ Orange Bezel - C60-TRI-SKCSI
CWL - C60 Trident Pro 600 ~ C60-42-AUTO-SKRT
CWL - C11 Makaira Pro 500 ~ C11-MAK-SKOSI
CWL - C11 Titanium Extreme 1000 Limited Edition ~ C11-COSC-EXT-TKV-SI
reggie747
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by reggie747 »

Looking forward to seeing the Stowa with the yellow optional bezel :thumbup:
Fluffy cuddly kittens and little puppy dogs.......????
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

I really like the Longines panda. Very tasteful and classy, and cool buttons.

I'm not sure about the case shape of the Stowa, to be honest.
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Two recent arrivals

Post by gaf1958 »

Well I'm a sucker for almost any Longines heritage model and that one is right up there with most of them, looks good.

The Stowa is an interesting beast, with its monochrome blasted finish it is reminiscent of a Pelagos while simultaneously being nothing at all like a Pelagos! I like it as being something a little left of centre, while the Longines is a classic, classy 7750.

How thick is the case on the Stowa?
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

gaf1958 wrote: How thick is the case on the Stowa?
It's 13.5mm so not that thick compared to some – 15mm seems to be an average for 'tool' divers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
andyg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by andyg »

That Longines is sweet, i do like their heritage models.

I have often pondered on the Stowa Seatime/Prodive but never pulled the trigger for fear of size issues (i like 'em at no more then 42mm with short lugs). looks good though and the yellow will pop!

Great pick ups IAJ! :thumbup:
Andy

Each of us will face this question at least once in a year.

"Why do you have so many watches? You can only wear one at a time!"
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

i always enjoy your write-ups IAJ, and almost always enjoy the watches you've chosen too!
no change this time - the longines is beautiful, and confirms me in my belief that there's just something intrinsically fine going on in longines design. this one's very pleasing to the eye.
and the stowa is a stonker! i love the dial design. slight quirk. not your average diver, and all the better for it.

i'm looking forward to the SOTC too :D
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
footycrazy
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by footycrazy »

Congrats on the 2 latest John. The Longines is gorgeous. :clap: