Tudor Black Bay GMT, 58, what else?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Tudor Black Bay GMT, 58, what else?

Post by 0uatiOW »

Having seen the launch of the new Tudor offerings in Basel this month (not in person, unfortunately), after an initially cool reaction, my attention was gradually gripped by the new GMT & 58 models. The blitz of publicity has won me over. Two different watches with different personalities, both refreshed by embossed crowns and new in-house movements with 70-hour power reserves. Both are similarly priced - between £2500-2800.

The 58 brings a smaller 39mm diameter case, gilt numerals on the bezel, and a slim case 11.something mm thick. All in all, a really nice ‘vintage’ feel, but it only comes with a black bezel - perhaps red and blue will come later....

The GMT is the traveller’s friend, Pepsi bezel with Rolex aspirations (I mean that in a good way), 41mm case and no thicker than the previous Black Bays, but at 14.6mm, is thicker than the CW Trident GMTs, which on my stringy arms already feel heavy.

Not sure when these will start appearing, but I’ll be keeping an eye out. I can’t decide which I want more, but my budget won’t stretch to both.... or will it? ( :shock: wake up man, no it won’t..)

Taking a slightly different tack, what other brands do people think occupy the same quality / price point?
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Tudor Black Bay GMT, 58, what else?

Post by Thegreyman »

Good question and the answer is probably not many.

An Omega Seamaster is probably a good rival and comparable in price to the BB. I'm not sure any Omega GMT's can be had for c. £3k though.
Tag Heuer do an Aquaracer GMT for about £2k but I don't think it is quite in the same league as the Tudor.

Breitling, Bremont etc are probably comparable in quality but higher in price.

Moving down a price bracket you have Oris, Longines, CW, Alpina possibly but I'd say not at the level of Tudor.

In summary for the quality there is not a lot that beats Tudor which is why they are so popular at the moment.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way