Truer than a true GMT

A place to discuss other watch-brands
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Truer than a true GMT

Post by strapline »

Bless my mother, she loves sending me emails about watches, manuka honey and all manner of things really. She's in her mid seventies and very cool. She knows I love looking at watches, and her tastes would be very classic compared to my more 'beer' tastes. She often sends me watch reviews over from those good people at Monochrome who tend to review very 'Champagne' money watches. Well...this De Bethune found its way to my inbox this morning. It's one of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen; and what a way to do a GMT function. Suddenly every other GMT seems somewhat lacklustre. If only I could cobble together CHF 195,000. In the meantime it might be better to return to talking about the anti bacterial properties of manuka honey. A nice little sweeter for a lot less money. :lol:

https://monochrome-watches.com/introduc ... ecs-price/

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Stif
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Re: Truer than a true GMT

Post by ajax87 »

That’s just ridiculous, in the best way.

I had to look up what “dead beat seconds” is. Apparently the seconds hand ticks once per second like a quartz watch. Interesting.

I looked and looked but can’t figure out how the minute hand is attached on the contemporary side. Must be magic!
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
strapline
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

P.S. “what is manuka honey” is next up on my search list when I get another break from work :lol:
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
JAFO
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:47 pm P.S. “what is manuka honey” is next up on my search list when I get another break from work :lol:
I think that's harder then deciding whether it's a real Rolex.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:46 pm That’s just ridiculous, in the best way.

I looked and looked but can’t figure out how the minute hand is attached on the contemporary side. Must be magic!
Ha! this is a great observation by you, Alex. It prompted an examination by me and I'm none the wiser; this is the limited quote from the review: "while minutes are displayed by an index at the periphery." Very vague and, like you, I think there is some high level sorcery involved here. In another post this week I said that panache wasn't a priority when looking at watches for myself. Clearly I won't be buying one of these any time soon, but it has made me realise I'm happy with the notion of panache.

Manuka honey is superb if you get the real stuff. It needs to have been made from bees that solely harvest the manuka bush (mono floral) which grows only in NZ and needs to have the highest mgo rating you can comfortably afford. Make sure that the honey is packaged and sealed in NZ before export as there has been some stories of honey's being blended with lesser honey. It's a super food and has all kind of health benefits. It tastes out of this world, like real honey should. :D

Des
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:46 pm I had to look up what “dead beat seconds” is. Apparently the seconds hand ticks once per second like a quartz watch. Interesting.
I had to look it up too. So I guess this complication is all about showing off the complexity of the movement?

This watch is quite a piece of engineering!
Drew
Stif
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Stif »

That's beautiful! I love how one side is elegant simplicity, but they you flip it over and BAM! - it looks like rather than for tracking time zones it's for actual time travel :lol:
These users thanked the author Stif for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesstrapline
- Grant

"There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently, that which should not be done at all."

Developer of mobile watch app WristCheck - find out more at wristcheck.app
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

ajax87 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:46 pm I looked and looked but can’t figure out how the minute hand is attached on the contemporary side. Must be magic!
I would suggest that the minute hand is attached to the cog wheel just on the inside of the minute track.

If you look at the screws at 15 and 60 mins, they are offset by just enough to tell you that’s not a design feature and they move. If you imagine the minute hand pointing to 12, then they are equally spaced out as well.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
ajax87
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Stif wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:51 pm That's beautiful! I love how one side is elegant simplicity, but they you flip it over and BAM! - it looks like rather than for tracking time zones it's for actual time travel :lol:
I agree Grant. The classic side is achingly beautiful, with the guilloché centre detailing and the outer minute ring. Then the contemporary side is like something made from Elvin silver smiths, like Bilbo’s chainmail vest. Magic wrapped up in a wristwatch!

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
Stif
Didier.O
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Didier.O »

I dont have 195k CHF 'right this second', but what I do have Good Sir....is 2 wrists.

Introducing a collaboration between Grand Seiko and Swatch, I present you the SBGA211G/Peanuts POW WOW Charlie Brown Yellow Dial. Local time on the left, play time on the right.
These users thanked the author Didier.O for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Didier.O wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:56 am I dont have 195k CHF 'right this second', but what I do have Good Sir....is 2 wrists.

Introducing a collaboration between Grand Seiko and Swatch, I present you the SBGA211G/Peanuts POW WOW Charlie Brown Yellow Dial. Local time on the left, play time on the right.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

iain wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:00 pm
ajax87 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:46 pm I looked and looked but can’t figure out how the minute hand is attached on the contemporary side. Must be magic!
I would suggest that the minute hand is attached to the cog wheel just on the inside of the minute track.

If you look at the screws at 15 and 60 mins, they are offset by just enough to tell you that’s not a design feature and they move. If you imagine the minute hand pointing to 12, then they are equally spaced out as well.
Yep, there it is. The entire gold/grey wheel just inside the minute track moves. The minute hand is attached by a post at its tip. There’s a gear at about 4 o’clock that moves the minute wheel.

PRETTY DARN COOL.

74239C03-0148-4BB4-9FE6-04F21DE6697B.jpeg
35B92B04-4072-4EB3-897C-526AE8B0D498.jpeg
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 2):
iainstrapline
Alex